Speedplay Titanium Spindles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

luke

by luke

Hi

I was looking around to find titanium spindles for my speedplay peadles.

I saw here that some people got them from ward.(is this ward industries) if so i could not find them on the site, only crank bros ones.

And I also saw someone mention torontocycles, but i checked that and they did not have them in the normal width, but had shorter and longer ones.

I also tried googling it and it did not come up with any good matches.

My question is where do you get the ti spindles?(it would be good if you can get the butterflyies from the same place but not nececery)

Thanks allot Luke

bricky21

by bricky21

They don't currently show them on their site, so you need to Email them for the speedplay spindles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luke

by luke

ok thanks, you wouldn't have any idea how much they cost would you?

bricky21

by bricky21

Here you go.

Tispindle.com
3645 Upton Drive
Troy, Michigan 48084

Website guest

Thanks for your inquiry. We do now have Sleek No Wrench Flat Zero Replacement Ti Spindles available. The Standard version is 76.2mm(55gr/set) and costs $57/set. The Short Spindle in this model is 72.4mm(54gr/set) and costs $57/set. The Long version of this model is 82.55mm(63gr/set) and costs $60/set. The longest version is 85.8mm(66gr/set) and costs $61/set.

Weight limit on these is 235 pounds.

These spindles also fit X-2 models.

Add shipping costs ($5.15 for USA and $13.25 International). If you prefer faster delivery that is trackable we also offer shipping by Expressmail ($20 for USA and $30 international)

Let us know if you would like to order and the quantity. Please include the name, shipping address, a telephone number and email address.

Also, please advise us whether you prefer a Paypal or a Google invoice.

Thanks again for your interest in our products.

Regards,

Libby

tispindle@gmail.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Ward like others keep a down low profile to keep Speedplay off their a$$.

luke

by luke

Butcher wrote:Ward like others keep a down low profile to keep Speedplay off their a$$.

yeah, it seems that way.

anyway thanks everybody

swang169

by swang169

How's the stiffness of the ti spindles compared to the OEM ones?

frikinspit

by frikinspit

swang169 wrote:How's the stiffness of the ti spindles compared to the OEM ones?

All of my road bikes have the Ward ti spindles and with 10000 miles of use total I would say that that I have felt no noticeable difference between these and the stock OEM ti spindles. Maybe on a measuring device of some type you will be able to see that they are stiffer, but in real world riding the frame and the cranks flex much more than the spindles ever will. My no-name chinese carbon frame commuter bike with the same pedals feels much more flexy at the pedals than my Parlee Z3SL, Pirarello FP Quattro or my TT bike.

Having said that, I would still recommend switching out the OEM spindles with these Ward spindles. They look much cleaner. No wrench flats to get marked up, and they always get marked up when installing/removing the pedals. They are lighter by around 3-4 grams.

The only problem I ever had with them is trying to sell them on (a very popular auction site). I had a few extra ZERO pedals with Ward spindles I listed and the next day they were removed and I got an email from the auction site that the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) of these pedals, Speedplay has requested that the auctions be removed. This is only done at the request of the VeRO. The auction site's policy is that if the owner of the copyrighted product requests that the auction be removed, they will remove it. Even if it does not violate any copyrights at all. Speedplay watches all auctions and can have any auction removed for any reason if it has the word 'speedplay' in the auction title/description or if there is a picture of one of their products. I guess I am on their naughty list, along with a few hundred others, since they have removed every auction for speedplay products I have listed. Even the stock 'new in box' X1 pedals with no modifications I tried to sell a few months ago was removed within 4 hours of listing.

However, if you are located outside the US the VeRO policy does not apply. That is how Toronto/NJ Cycles can sell the bowtie pedal inserts on the auction site. Copyright laws prohibit them from using the name 'speedplay' in their title/description, but they can still use words like bowtie, pedal insert, or for bearings they can use the name of the actual bearing like HK1010 or 137.

bobsled

by bobsled

frikinspit wrote:
swang169 wrote:How's the stiffness of the ti spindles compared to the OEM ones?

All of my road bikes have the Ward ti spindles and with 10000 miles of use total I would say that that I have felt no noticeable difference between these and the stock OEM ti spindles. Maybe on a measuring device of some type you will be able to see that they are stiffer, but in real world riding the frame and the cranks flex much more than the spindles ever will. My no-name chinese carbon frame commuter bike with the same pedals feels much more flexy at the pedals than my Parlee Z3SL, Pirarello FP Quattro or my TT bike.

Having said that, I would still recommend switching out the OEM spindles with these Ward spindles. They look much cleaner. No wrench flats to get marked up, and they always get marked up when installing/removing the pedals. They are lighter by around 3-4 grams.

The only problem I ever had with them is trying to sell them on (a very popular auction site). I had a few extra ZERO pedals with Ward spindles I listed and the next day they were removed and I got an email from the auction site that the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) of these pedals, Speedplay has requested that the auctions be removed. This is only done at the request of the VeRO. The auction site's policy is that if the owner of the copyrighted product requests that the auction be removed, they will remove it. Even if it does not violate any copyrights at all. Speedplay watches all auctions and can have any auction removed for any reason if it has the word 'speedplay' in the auction title/description or if there is a picture of one of their products. I guess I am on their naughty list, along with a few hundred others, since they have removed every auction for speedplay products I have listed. Even the stock 'new in box' X1 pedals with no modifications I tried to sell a few months ago was removed within 4 hours of listing.

However, if you are located outside the US the VeRO policy does not apply. That is how Toronto/NJ Cycles can sell the bowtie pedal inserts on the auction site. Copyright laws prohibit them from using the name 'speedplay' in their title/description, but they can still use words like bowtie, pedal insert, or for bearings they can use the name of the actual bearing like HK1010 or 137.

With this in mind, there is a guy on the famous auction site sells replacement speedplay bearings that he goes on to describe as aftermarket. He seems to be getting away with it. Not ratting on the guy just seems speedplay selectively enforces the VeRo rule. BTW, I bought some of those aftermarket bearings from the dude when I installed my Ward spindles as the "new" X2 pedals were great.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

The Ward spindles are superb.

I have a short spindle set for Zeros, and while the spindles are very short and I suggest you carefully consider the length required, they fit beautifully, everything is straight and well manufactured.

Dropped a pair of CroMo down from 221g to 156g.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

Glovetx

by Glovetx

How easy is it to replace these on speedplays and anybody know the normal length of a speedplay spindle?
Thanks

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

79mm for a stock Zero Chromemoly spindle.
Swapping is not hard as long as the torx screw does not strip out.
Last edited by Butcher on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

frikinspit

by frikinspit

Glovetx wrote:How easy is it to replace these on speedplays and anybody know the normal length of a speedplay spindle?
Thanks

OEM Ti spindles are 76.2mm. Stainless and chromoly are 79mm.

Check out my post here for full rebuild instructions:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80010

otoman

by otoman

bricky21 wrote:Here you go.

Tispindle.com
3645 Upton Drive
Troy, Michigan 48084

Website guest

Thanks for your inquiry. We do now have Sleek No Wrench Flat....

Thanks again for your interest in our products.

Regards,

Libby

tispindle@gmail.com

Wow, dude. After knowing how tight S-play is with anyone selling replacement parts, you go and copy/paste a direct email from them to a public forum? You got something against Ward? Anyone home, McFly? :noidea: Not very bright -- this kind of thing could hurt all of us if S-play decides to whack Ward for continuation of practices that they have already been warned about. Try thinking things over before trying to be "helpful" on public forums. :| Thanks
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

williamsf1

by williamsf1

someone tell me you can still get aftermarket speedplay Ti spindles from somewhere????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com