DELETED - Speedplay Threatens Customers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frikinspit

by frikinspit

Instructions DELETED.

Instructions reposted by another user on page 2.

Page 3 has the complete story.

Page 8 has the letter from Speedplay word-for-word.
Last edited by frikinspit on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 am, edited 13 times in total.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Thanks for the info, it will make keeping my Speedplays going and help with an upgrade of my CrMo to Tion my 2nd bike.
Toronto cycles sells alloy and Ti bowties and bolts for Speedplay, for those wanting to lose extra weight.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SL58

by SL58

I was using induction soldering tool instead of blowtorch to unscrew the stubborn screw. It got replaced by Ti Allen head screw w/out locktite.

When I overhaul pedals I actually throw pedal body
into ultrasonic cleaner w/solvent. Cleans like a charm.

by avatar78

Glad you posted this, I'm installing the ward spindles now on my zeros. I stripped the head on one of the torx spindle bolts, what is the best way to remove it? Just drill it out?

camber66

by camber66

avatar78 wrote:Glad you posted this, I'm installing the ward spindles now on my zeros. I stripped the head on one of the torx spindle bolts, what is the best way to remove it? Just drill it out?

I had a similar problem with my Zero Ti. Flat screwdriver slot and little heating for inside Loctite, and has unscrewed bolt removed

Steen

by Steen

camber66 wrote:
avatar78 wrote:Glad you posted this, I'm installing the ward spindles now on my zeros. I stripped the head on one of the torx spindle bolts, what is the best way to remove it? Just drill it out?

I had a similar problem with my Zero Ti. Flat screwdriver slot and little heating for inside Loctite, and has unscrewed bolt removed

Frankie-B had the same problem, he just drilled it out but that's olso the end of your spindles, on ebay jou can gat cheap (60usd?) tita spindles witch are lighter than original speedplay ti spindles, so maybe that's an good excuse...

If it's a tita one try the way avatar 78 did it, if that won't work just dril it out carefuly and only the head of the screw, you can go to a local metalworker to dril it out in a turning machine maybe try get it in the turningmachine and carefully rotate the axle clockwise so the screw wil work himself out, if that won't work just dril it out and careful and recut the treat.

Good luck

frikinspit

by frikinspit

DELETED
Last edited by frikinspit on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

by avatar78

Just as an update, I bought a screw extractor called Grabit Pro which worked well. It ended up snapping the head off the screw which was fine, I could then get the axle out and junk it. Just ordered the screw kit mentioned above and we'll be good to go. The pedals are surprisingly light in your hand with the ti axles.

darbydog

by darbydog

Does any one know where I can get the spindle screws in the US? I think these are M4 1cm but not sure. I see pro bike kit has a speed play small parts kit that has the dust caps the spindle screws and O rings but I can not find it for sale in the US.

If I can find just the screws that would be great.
Ride Vellum Cycles

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

This should be a sticky post. Thanks so much.

frikinspit

by frikinspit

DELETED
Last edited by frikinspit on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

darbydog

by darbydog

I am looking for the spindle screws not the bow tie screw's and I am not finding them on the auction site.
Ride Vellum Cycles

frikinspit

by frikinspit

DELETED
Last edited by frikinspit on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luc

by Luc

Steen wrote:on ebay jou can gat cheap (60usd?) tita spindles witch are lighter than original speedplay ti spindles

Any link, Steen ? I tried w/ "Speedplay", w/ "spindle" in the search tool....unsuccessfully :(

Thanks !
Pollice verso.

frikinspit

by frikinspit

DELETED
Last edited by frikinspit on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com