Cannondale System Six

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JesseD

by JesseD

Has anyone got one of these?

I am after a crit bike for next year and all the reviews say it's very stiff, the steering is direct etc, but I am after some real life opinions from people who actually have one and live with one daily.

I have found a second hand one which looks to be in good condition and in my small price range, the geometry fits me fine, so I plan to build it up with the parts from my Six-13 which was totalled when I was hit from behind by an idiot in a car, and obviously replace any parts which are unusable. I also plan to get it respayed in matt white which red cannondale decals (to match my Fast Forward carbon wheels).

So is it a good buy for what I need, will it be good for cornering, will it be stiff enough to sprint?

Any opinions and reviews will be very much appriciated.

Thanks all.

Jesse

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensW

by JensW

had a systemsix for 2 years. loved the bike, and it´s still one of my favorites. feels stiff and steers where you point it. very interesting frame. can absolutely recommend it

spud

by spud

been on one for 3 years now - I love it. Handling is dead true, very stable but it dives down into corners really well. Very responsive at the pedals, bike accelerates very hard when you give the beans. I don't feel like it beats me up either. Only criticism - it doesn't have quite the road "feel" or energy that some of the newest/best light weight carbon frames have, but that's really minor.

The bike will take everything you can throw at it, and eat it up.

spud

by spud

been on one for 3 years now - I love it. Handling is dead true, very stable but it dives down into corners really well. Very responsive at the pedals, bike accelerates very hard when you give the beans. I don't feel like it beats me up either. Only criticism - it doesn't have quite the road "feel" or energy that some of the newest/best light weight carbon frames have, but that's really minor.

The bike will take everything you can throw at it, and eat it up. And for the record, I'm 180 lbs and a sprinter.

Sorry for the double post.

Getter

by Getter

I just switched my parts to a System Six from a Six13. :mrgreen:

I'm 155 and not much of a sprinter. I haven't really got a chance to mash on it...tweaked my back a week ago. Just cruising around, it feels a bit smoother than the Six13.

Hopefully I can take it out on a real ride this week...if my back gets better. Image

JesseD

by JesseD

Getter wrote:I just switched my parts to a System Six from a Six13. :mrgreen:

I'm 155 and not much of a sprinter. I haven't really got a chance to mash on it...tweaked my back a week ago. Just cruising around, it feels a bit smoother than the Six13.

Hopefully I can take it out on a real ride this week...if my back gets better. Image

Great stuff chaps, thanks.

I am 100kg at the moment and about 85kg at race weight, I am def not a climber, but can sprint a bit, so hopefully this will be right up my street!

Getter, i'll look forward to your full ride report when you get the chance to give it a full ride.

Getter

by Getter

I'm 155 pounds...70.5kg. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gonna try and give it a go this weekend. :beerchug:

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've been riding one for a little over three years now.

It's an awesome bike. I have not ridden anything that I liked more - though to be fair, I have not compared it to many bicycles.

I primarily race crits, and use a Caad 9 for races. The System 6 feels much more stable than the Caad 9 in tight turns.

mclaren

by mclaren

Hi, this is my first post but I have lurked around here for the better part of 4 years.

I have a system six that I have been riding for 3 years (black carbon and brushed aluminum). Very fast and stable bike and goes where you direct it. One thing I have noticed recently is corrosion at the BB where the Carbon meets the Aluminum. Most likely from perspiration as I am a fair weather rider. I'm sure the joint will hold but it does look a little unsightly.

I figure I will ride this frame into the ground before I get a new one.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Had a Liquigas SystemSix for 2 years, awesome bike, very stiff and good handling. Should be a perfect crit bike for you.

RacerBoy

by RacerBoy

I raced a System Six for 2 seasons and loved it. It is a great frame but there are a few things worth noting.

The BB30 version is very nice however in the later part of the production cycle of the System Six Cannondale cranked out some dulled down versions of the frame with BSA bottom bracket that didn't have the same feel or finish to them. So make sure that the one you are looking at has the BB30 BB (or a BB30 with the conversion sleeve)

JensW

by JensW

of course it is the one with bb30 you should have

Yiannis-Super 6.

by Yiannis-Super 6.

I'd stick with the 07 if you can find one without much corrosion at the joints, the 07's were Hi-Mod as opposed to the 08's which were downgraded to regular modular carbon
10 SuperSix Hi-Mod
07 System 6.
06 Caad 8
90s Merlin Extralight.

Getter

by Getter

Took it out for a hour ride yesterday. Lol...I swear it rides rougher than my Six 13. I felt alot more bumps.

From the limited riding I was able to do...the front end did feel stiffer when out of the saddle going uphill. I was not able to get into the drops and sprint...since my lower back is still angry at me. :?

Mine is an 08 model with the BB30...but I'm running an adapter with a Sram Red crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JesseD

by JesseD

The one I have found is a Liquigas one with BB30 and the sleeve fitted to convert it to standard. From the pics I have seen there is no corrosion round the BB and it looks in good condition. It will be stripped and sprayed before I build it for next year.

Thanks guys, this is great, keep em coming. Any pics as well for inspiration?