why not ? carbon wheels from china !?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmilliron

by jmilliron

sawyer wrote:BUT, if you're only looking for one pair of wheels and you're considering $600 Chinese hoops vs. say $1000 EC90s on pooh-bay why would you bother? The re-sale value of the Chinese wheels is approximately $0, while the Eastons will fetch good money, have warranty support, QC, brand etc. etc.

Or $700 for new 2010 Reynolds Assault tubulars. ;)
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

sawyer

by sawyer

jmilliron wrote:
sawyer wrote:BUT, if you're only looking for one pair of wheels and you're considering $600 Chinese hoops vs. say $1000 EC90s on pooh-bay why would you bother? The re-sale value of the Chinese wheels is approximately $0, while the Eastons will fetch good money, have warranty support, QC, brand etc. etc.

Or $700 for new 2010 Reynolds Assault tubulars. ;)

Yes, exactly. Makes the Chinese option look horrendously expensive. :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I guess it's priorities for some...

I cant fault the attraction for some people because there was a time when a dollar or two would have me taking risks.

That time has long passed.

showdown

by showdown

Ahh, leave it to Pez to always inject his last word... ;)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Just read the entire thread.
"False economy" comes to mind.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

showdown

by showdown

FWIW, 2 sets of 20mm tubular rims just showed up at my door. ~250g each rim, perhaps a bit less for the rear.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkinginc ... 507918070/

farm_lim

by farm_lim

pics and weight of built 50mm tubulars from china similar to the OP.

rims and aero spokes

rear hubs

front hubs

includes blue carbon pads and skewers.

1469g
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

Darksid3

by Darksid3

Do you have an eBay link to the seller you got them from?

Getter

by Getter

Farm...those wheels look just like mine...but mine are the clincher version. They weigh in at 1598.6.

Front

Rear

What I would do next time is order the hub and rim. The spokes I would get on my own. Probably some CX Rays. The bladed spokes that come with the wheels weigh almost twice as much as the CX's.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

+1 on where you got the rims from. I just got a set of RealDesign wheels, and those rims look very similar to mine (50mm, clincher)

petepeterson

by petepeterson

hey guys with the china clinchers:

Any durability - more specifically - any over heating/blowout issues with them under heavy braking?

About to order a set from dengfu or yishun and want to do clinchers but worried about this issue as there are significant hills in my neck of the woods.

Any feedback positive or negative would be much appreciated. Thanks.

eigner

by eigner

Pez... Normaly I do highly regard your input on the forum, but regarding this I do think you are wrong.

I have owned a set of Fulcrum Racing Speed which I sold the 3rd time a spoke failed. That was simply too poor.

On the other hand I have build +40 wheelsets on chinese rims on either Chosen or Novatech hubs and I have gotten none back for repair of any kind. I have only received positive feedback on how the wheels perform and every single one I have build a wheelset for have been more than happy with their wheelset. :wink:
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

Haugergaard

by Haugergaard

eigner wrote:Pez... Normaly I do highly regard your input on the forum, but regarding this I do think you are wrong.

I have owned a set of Fulcrum Racing Speed which I sold the 3rd time a spoke failed. That was simply too poor.

On the other hand I have build +40 wheelsets on chinese rims on either Chosen or Novatech hubs and I have gotten none back for repair of any kind. I have only received positive feedback on how the wheels perform and every single one I have build a wheelset for have been more than happy with their wheelset. :wink:

Someone in the wheelbuilding thread seems to have another feeling towards this:

"Chinese rims?......I've built a couple of dozen pairs in the last few months that come from various sources and different manufacturers over there.
The only thing they all had in common was they were all rubbish quality.
Heavier than advertised, very poor quality control, huge variation in nipple bed thickness that leads to nipples not seating correctly.
Not round, not straight, but always bad.
Some are so bad you even need to use longer nipples to get the spoke key on them!
Do what you want, but take a tip from me and stay away from them unless they are incredibly cheap."

Eigner, where did you buy your rims from?

showdown

by showdown

I just received my final order from HongFu.

All together I ordered
2 sets of 20mm tubulars from ArchTecks
1 set of 38mm clinchers from HongFu
2 sets of 50mm tubulars from HongFu
2 sets of 50mm clinchers from HongFu
1 set of 60mm clinchers from HongFu
1 set of 60mm tubulars from HongFu
2 sets of 88mm tubulars from HongFu

I purchased 11 sets of hubs from bikehubstore.com

I'm building the wheels up with black DT aerolite spokes. The 88's will have black Sapim CX-Rays as DT's don't come that short!

Here's what I'll say about the experience thus far:

Bikehubstore.com
I know Brandon from WW and some other forums. He started importing hubs and selling them on his site a while ago. I have ordered a total of 12 sets from him for 3 reasons: 1.) the hubs are very affordable. 2.) The hubs are modern and conventional- that is, there's nothing odd or idiosyncratic about the hubs. 3.) Brandon is fast with shipping, he packs things well and he's one of us and I'm glad to give him my money.

I ordered black hubs but I believe he has other colors as well. They are drilled 20/24 and for the price very light. Certainly they're not Tune ultralight hubs but they're also not $500 a set. They have 6 pawls, are LOUD (yes!) and accept standard bearings. The bearings are smooth and I fully expect them to last for quite a while. As the bearings are sealed and standard sizes I can order a bunch of ceramics and plop them in when I feel. The finish and machining on the hubs looks stunning. I have a friend who works at SRAM here in Chicago and upon seeing these hubs at my place he was rather curious as to know where they came from.

HongFu and ArchTecks
Dealing with the people who work at these companies has been amazing. The have been prompt with their replies, provided technical drawings and details when requested, and answered a milling nagging questions I had about everything under the sun. They communicated any delays with the production or shipping and even stepped in to expedite the shipping from China when EMS was slow. The quality of customer service was on par with any other company I've dealt with and above some others.

The rims arrived well packaged- each in their own bubble wrapped sleeve and in a tripple-walled cardboard box with extra cardboard sheets between each wheel (int he photo I've removed all that)

Upon inspection I was curious as to what I would find with such a large variety of rims. The quality of the 3k carbon is high with almost no wrinkles or deviations anywhere. The seams are clean and line up well. The holes are drilled offset and look very clean with no tear-out or fraying. The finish on the rims is even and consistent all around. We opted for a matte finish and indeed they are matt. The braking surfaces are left uncoated and look very good. I haven't spotted any voids or resin build ups anywhere. In addition, on the deeper rims (60's and 88's) I was able to use a little flashlight and a fiber optic camera we have at work to look inside the rim and was satisfied with what I saw- no pooling of resin, no uneven surfaces, no voids and a general consistency on par with what I've seen of zipp cutaways.

I measured all the ERD's and they were exact as indicated in the technical drawings as were all the other dimensions. In addition I measured all the nipple beds and while they differed between depth of wheel they were consistent across each rim- that is, the 50mm rims had a nipple bed of 3.5mm, the 60's had a bed of 5mm and the 88's had a bed of about 6mm, etc... And yes, I checked EACH SPOKE HOLE.

Each valve hole was countersunk to accept the bulge on the tubular tire and reinforced with an additional piece of carbon.

I haven't got a scale and I'm eager to start building so I probably won't have a chance to weight them until I'm through and they are all glued up, but ultimately we ride wheels with tires, not plain rims.

In any event, enjoy the photo of about $3500 of carbon rims
Attachments
photo.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I think a lot of members here will want to hear about these wheels, used and abused. And how they hold up the (long) road.

From what I see around the net, prices are coming down too, just look at Planet X prices on carbon rims...

Louis :)