Cannondale SuperX -Life is more comfortable

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I decided to write a small report about my Cannondale SuperX Ultegra

Previous bikes: Merida CC-4 -07, Cannondale CX9 105 -09, Cannondale CX9 Ultegra -10

Changed parts from the stock bike: System6 stem, 3T Rotundo bar, FSA SL-K crankset and the wheelset was changed to my race wheels --> DT 240s/DT comp/Mavic Reflex/Vittoria Cross EVO XG

I ordered the bike in mid-august with a hope that I would get the bike in time for the nationals. I saw the bike first time at Eurobike. I work at Cannondale shop so I could follow the changes in delivery dates. I didn't get the bike in time but my CX9 was still in good shape. I ordered 52cm, just like my CX9.

Once the bike arrived it was time to build it. No huge differences since basically it has the same parts as I have had previously. This time bike came with carbon seat post so I didn't have to change it. The stem was only 100mm Cannondale C2, quite good in stiffness but nothing compared to my System6 stem. I also needed 110mm so I felt better to put the trusted stem to the new bike. In the same time I changed also handlebar to 3T Rotundo 'cause I like it. Also gear cables were to be changed to Dura Ace. (We have had some problems with Jagwires and 6700)
Bike came with 12-25 cassette but I chose to run with my race wheel set. I have 12-27 on those. I left Mavic Aksiums for the studded tires.

Out and riding
I had been very happy with my CX9, espicially with Easton EC90X fork but SuperX totally blew my mind. The ride is super smooth. Frame is sideways equally stiff with the aluminium predecessor but so much more comfortable. The front fork is also stiffer in braking. Difference is notable.
Handling feels the same as CX9 so I can't blame that. Other thing you can also feel is the lightness. Unfortunately, our scale is broken so I haven't got a true numbers but judging by hand there is big difference. I'd say about 500g's but..

Something to improve?
Yeah, for sure. Id like to get possibility to mount cable guide to fork and change rear brake cable to go inside the top tube. SuperX has a really thin lacquer so once you sit on the the top tube cable makes some scratches.

Some pictures before I did a proper set-up and changed the parts..
Please, don't mention the seat position. It should be leveled but my photographer came 10mins too soon..
So all the credits to him of the photos

Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jaakkoso

by jaakkoso

:thumbup: My dream cx-frame! When you put hollowgrams and your lightweights on that bike, then it's perfect!

limba

by limba

Nice bike. We don't get the Ultegra group in North America. It's either RED with Zipp wheels or Rival with Ksyrium Equipes. Are those the cranks that have been recalled?

kiwi_stu

by kiwi_stu

A really nice bike, been looking at them all night !!! :D

andyp

by andyp

Is the rear brake guide an aftermarket addition or do Cannondale provide that as part of the build?

limba

by limba

That comes with the bike.

Knoxxy

by Knoxxy

Hi,
Looks stunning, so much so I ordered one for a Jan delivery, very excited!

I'm already thinking about weight saving, the obvious areas are:
Wheels, Mavic Aksium Race - 1800g
Crankset FSA Gossamer - 897g
Bars, Cannondale C2
Stem, Cannondale C2
Seatpost, Cannondale C2

Does anyone know the weights on the Cannondale items?
I can't find weights online.

Any upgrade ideas would also be appreciated.
I'm 150 lbs & plan mainly recreational use.

Ollie.

limba

by limba

So it won't be raced? If you're not going to race don't waste your money on tubulars. If you're going to race blow all of your money on tubulars.

Maybe DA hubs/DT spokes/Mavic or Stan's rims.
DA or Hollowgram crankset with whatever chainrings work for you.
Maybe a light carbon seatpost if you're not going to race.
Whatever seat you like.

I would ride the bike as is and only replace things I hate or wore out.

il professore

by il professore

askiums are too heavy.

I love that its been in the dirt AND now on the couch..love it...

jaakkoso

by jaakkoso

limba wrote:So it won't be raced? If you're not going to race don't waste your money on tubulars. If you're going to race blow all of your money on tubulars.

Maybe DA hubs/DT spokes/Mavic or Stan's rims.
DA or Hollowgram crankset with whatever chainrings work for you.
Maybe a light carbon seatpost if you're not going to race.
Whatever seat you like.

I would ride the bike as is and only replace things I hate or wore out.

I can tell that turbokoo is gonna race with it. He won nationals again in this fall (third time in row)...

e: ok, my bad...
Last edited by jaakkoso on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Yeah, I know the OP races. I was responding to Knoxxy's question.