RIP. 2011 BH G5 w/Campy Record. Hit by car.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

Today I finally got my new frame for 2011. It's a BH G5 size 56. I'm pretty excited for it since I have test ridden them before, and love the ride. I also got my new 2011 Reynolds 32 tubies, and a Zipp SLC2 ergo bend bar. I'll be receiving the new Zipp service course sl stem within the next few weeks after Zipp gets their shipment in. When I finally sell my old frame, I'll be able to order the saddle and component group. Hopefully it will be a Fizik Aliante (with carbon rails), and a 2011 Record group set. I'm hoping to make this build sub 6.35kg. Here's a list of the weights that I took (my scale only had a 0.5g resolution, sorry.)

2011 BH G5 size 56 - 1006.5g (with hanger and water bottle cage bolts)
Fork (Edge) - 369.0g
Seatpost - 141.0g
Headset and included carbon spacer - 71.5g
Compression plug - 41.0g
Seatpost clamp - 22.5g
Zipp SLC2 ergo bend bar (44) - 196.5g
2011 Reynolds 32 tubulars - 1061g (466.5g front/594.5g rear)
Skewers (stock for 2011) - 62.5g

Last edited by swimmingskibble on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

looks good, i've always really liked that frame.

are you planning on running the record crank, or a BB30 crank?

timintense

by timintense

looks great allready, look forward to seeing it built :thumbup:
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

micky

by micky

Gonna be sweet!

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

rgkicksbutt wrote:are you planning on running the record crank, or a BB30 crank?

I'll probably just stick with the Record crankset. They are fairly lightweight and with the new shifting improvements they have made to the chainrings, I think they will be a sweet set. Besides, I'll probably be way to poor to get a hollowgram si crank.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Very nice looking frame. Very nice indeed :thumbup:

hayachan

by hayachan

Look really nice,
Nothing can stop me from getting this Reynold 32 wheels now,

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

Guess what I got this weekend!?! :twisted: Now I just need to wait for my BB30 cups to arrive from PBK, my stem to arrive from zipp, and get a different saddle (will use my antares from last year for now.)

I might save up and get a set of the DA 7900 pedals too, but would that be weird having those on a campy record bike? I know it shouldn't matter, but something inside me makes me hesitate. :noidea:

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

Almost completed. I cut the steer tube to the max allowable length, and will probably leave it this way for resale purposes. I still need to get a couple cable crimps so that I can trim the excess cable off, and I still need to do a few final adjustments with the handlebars/levers before I wrap them up. I have my old antares saddle on for now, but I'm still in the hunt for a more comfortable saddle replacement. I think it will be pretty nice when finished.

What are your opinions of it?

Sorry for the bad cell phone picture, but my wife has the camera and is currently out of town.

boss155

by boss155

Love it, I'm having to sell my G4, I'm going to miss her! Enjoy your G5!

marcusp

by marcusp

You've done a nice job on it.
What size is the bar? It looks enormous from that angle!
Hope you enjoy your new bike.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

em3

by em3

Please post a full ride report on the Reynolds ThirtyTwo once you get th rig rolling. I have the FortySix clinchers and they are great and now I am thinking of getting the ThirtyTwo in clincher or tub...will be interested to hear what you think.
Thanks,
EM3

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

What size is the bar? It looks enormous from that angle!

The bar is only a 44. I did consider a trying a wider 46 to see if it would work better for me, but I ended up just getting the same size I always get. I'd hate to spend the money to find out I should have just stayed with what I was using.

Please post a full ride report on the Reynolds ThirtyTwo once you get th rig rolling.

I'll be sure to post a review of the wheels when I get some miles on them. But this may be a while as we just got a junk load of snow over the weekend, and it looks like there is more on the horizon.

Hopefully it will be warm enough for some good riding for my spring break (second week of March.) I'm getting itchy to get on it and go fast.

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

I finally got my bike all put together! It rides super fast and nimble, yet is quite stable. I'm super excited to ride it this year. I took the kiddies for a ride today, so that is why the trailer is attached in the pictures. The final weight of the bike as pictured (including pedals, cages, computer, but minus the chariot of course) ended up being 14.46lbs (6.56kg). Nothing too special on it. Once I figure out the stem height I prefer, I'll be able to trim the cables and the steer tube to cut a few more grams as well.

I took the trailer on a ride today, and have to admit that the Reynolds wheels/brake pad combo worked great. I hit a 2mile section of decent that averaged about 6-7% but peaked at 12% grade. Not one chirp or problem. Although it was pretty tough going up, but that's a whole different problem! I did notice that I need to roll my bars up just slightly, and also change the fore/aft position of my saddle since I was riding on the nose.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas how to make it better somewhat cheap. Future plans are to swap out the sprinter tubies (went with them for price only), and possibly try some fancy cables/housing.

kgt

by kgt

Its perfect as it is. The saddle just looks too far back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com