TRP EuroX vs. Avid Shorty Ultimate vs. TRP CR 950

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Alright. I have been searching for reviews/comparisons of these brakes, but without any luck.

There's quite a big price difference, and since the weight isn't that different (they are all around 250-260 g/pair) I wanted to hear your opinions on the functionality.

Which brakes are the most powerful?

Are there two version of the CR 950 (1) carbon and 2) carbon ti?). There are very different prices...

I will be using SRAM Rival levers.

A quick search on Google on (approx.) prices:
    TRP EuroX Al: 100 eur/pair
    Avid Shorty Ultimate: 175 eur/pair
    TRP CR 950: 100-260 eur/pair

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I have the eurox mag and the 950. Both are great. If you want power the 950 are the best. Unless Ridley comes out with a disc frame for next year our whole team will be on 950s. They are just about perfect in my opinion.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I've tried them briefly. Not on my own bike though so I don't have an exact comparison like I have with the TRP brakes. If you can get the regular 950s cheap grab em. The new sl version are the same brake with a cartridge road shoe instead of the bulky Mtb shoe. But you can get a cheap, light set of road shoes for less than the difference between the old and new versions in most cases.

Otherwise get the pimp white ones. I have two of them coming after the season and can't wait.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

buzz

by buzz

have tried your feet the best stopping power ever , wears your shoes out but stop you :thumbup:

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Bought a set of 950s, I am looking forwards to trying them out. Thanks a lot for your advice, lancejohnson!

cswi9367

by cswi9367

ive owned all 3 that you ask about. all for about the same amount of time.

easiest : TRP Euro X
power: 950
overall: avid ultimate.

if i had to buy one set, i would buy the ultimates. INCREDIBLE nice feel vs the others. they have as much power as the others in the right setup, and also are easy to setup . very easy changes to the setup. at first, i wasnt impressed, but the longer i use them, the better they get.

ignore the front/rear setup. run them both at 45 degree setup and they are aweosme.

good luck.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Thanks for the report above. I'm in the process of buying brakes for my Planet X Cross IF frame and I was going to go with the TRP 950's, but a group of my friends are running the Avid Shorty Ultimate, which they swear by.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

if a cantlever brakes works or not, depends on a lot of factors.
its difficult to compare different brakes.

tyman

by tyman

Had plenty of front end chatter on both my 2010 Ridley X-Night (EA70X wheelset) and 2010 Ridley X-Fire (EA50SL wheelset), both had Paul Neo Retro's mounted.
Now have TRP EuroX on the X-Fire and Avid Shorty Ultimates on the X-Night. More stopping power on the Ultimates but zero chatter on the EuroX's.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I have used the CR 950s for one race and some training. So far I am very pleased with them. They were easy to set up, and they have plenty of power for cantis!

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Another race with the CR950s. I tried using the "original" shoes this time. Horrible. A lot of brake chatter. Maybe they didn't have enough toe in, but I'll definately change "back" to the Rival shoes for the nationals on sunday...

mcarr810

by mcarr810

Avid Shorty Ultimates in Black / red plenty of Bling and stopping power. I have found them for $140 USD on sale for the pair. Check the NET 150 Euros seems high

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Got the CR950s already :) Won't be buying new brakes for a long time. The CR950s are fine for me :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com