sub 50gram frt der

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Record front deraileur tuned by popawheelie. 49.8grams. He did a fantastic job, thanks for your contribution to the project popa.
Attachments
P1010004.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010002.JPG
p1010001.jpg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i noticed that the plastic piece was removed from the front cage.....if you don't mind the excessive wear on the carbon cage, i would keep it off. however, that might be a costly gram shaving-the plastic piece is supposed to protect the cage (correct me if i'm mistaken).......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luc

by Luc

That's what I call a close shave....

OTT ! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Pollice verso.

Boonen

by Boonen

Nice job! :thumbup:
Would you care to tell us what has been changed/removed?
Looks like the spring is changed, bolts exchanged and some material removed. Did I miss something?

col hicks

by col hicks

is it possible to get a dura ace that light

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Hi, The bolt that holds it on and the cable bolt are carbon bolts. The bolts that could be out of aluminum went on. The pivots are Ti. The spring is Ti. The pivots for the arms are hollowed out. It's pretty hard to explain everything at once. Maybe a few points at a time.
I used to use Shimano, but ran into problems with the overall design being clunkier. Like the cage. How can I tune a Shimano cage to be like the Campy. They are miles apart.
So I switched over to Campy. This stuff takes a long time to do. I'm not going to tune an inferior design.
Mike, you're right, the plastic piece is there to prevent wear. But I don't ride my bike with the front derraileur rubbing. If it is rubbing I trim it. Some people don't care or are hard of hearing.
Some of the parts are overbuilt because of mechanics who overtorque bolts. Some are overbuilt because of riders who abuse the equiptment. Some of it is just because it is easier to manufacture.
Taking those thing into account, there is alot of room to tune these parts and still have a long lasting part. :D :D :D

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

what was the total materials cost and time spent doing it? would you consider tuning WW's FDs, for a fee of course.

Boonen

by Boonen

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a fun winter job I got to try :D
What do you mean by pivots though? Is it the little axle that connects the black arms with the actual cage?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Ya, I called them pivots. They connect the cage to the arms.
They are hollow Ti.
Attachments
zzz 013 (2).jpg