CAT carbon cranks!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

just bought Sandro Mura's CAT cranks....got them in the mail 10 minutes ago and just weighed them....288 grams!!! they are unreal. i am going to install them tomorrow...I will keep you posted on how they are. They are so pretty!!!

Joel

by Joel

Why did he sell them? Is he making an even lighter bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

do not know, he didn't say

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

here is a picture!!! PRETTY
Attachments
cat.jpg

MiNtzNUrMth

by MiNtzNUrMth

How come cat can make their crankset so light but FSA and all the other Carbon crank makers can't get theirs that light? Did CAT use a special process or what? they are some beauties.

Superlite

by Superlite

Anyone can make light cranks, it doesn't mean there stiff. Thats why no one else makes them that light. Unlike other cranksets the CAT and Storcks are hollow carbon construction, hence there ultra light weight design. Only drawback is they are relatively weak in comparison to other cranks. Do a search on the fourm, this question has been asked to death.

Just a little teaser, watch out for FSA in the very near future, new ultra light cranks are around the corner, and super stiff as well.

gentri

by gentri

Superlite wrote:Anyone can make light cranks, it doesn't mean there stiff. Thats why no one else makes them that light. Unlike other cranksets the CAT and Storcks are hollow carbon construction, hence there ultra light weight design. Only drawback is they are relatively weak in comparison to other cranks. Do a search on the fourm, this question has been asked to death.

Just a little teaser, watch out for FSA in the very near future, new ultra light cranks are around the corner, and super stiff as well.

Thanks Superlite! I read in a few triathlon magazines about the new FSA crank (I have the model name and release date, hope it's right,but i'll be hogging it so everyone drools first) and didn't know if it was a misprint since I couldn't verify it anywhere. I guess I'll stick with my campy alloy crank for now and wait for that new crank instead of buying a FSA superlight now.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I have had FSA cranks and they look like junk compared to these beauties!!! Plus it is cool to have parts that not everyone owns....everyone I ride with and see has FSA cranks...........Boring being like everyone else!!!!!!!!

Superlite

by Superlite

Thats a pretty brash statement, considering FSA are far superior cranks and the most advanced cranks currently produced. Don't get me wrong, CAT cranks are cool, but in no way are they superior to FSA's carbon cranks. Those cranks you got are not anywhere close to the stiffness of FSA's.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Thats a pretty brash statement, considering FSA are far superior cranks and the most advanced cranks currently produced. Don't get me wrong, CAT cranks are cool, but in no way are they superior to FSA's carbon cranks. Those cranks you got are not anywhere close to the stiffness of FSA's.

I think that is a pretty brash statement of yours SL :!:

How do you know CAT cranks aren't superior? I've never seen any tests comparing them (but then again, I don't think they are available in my 177.5-180mm needed lengths - neither are FSA SL's though).

Isn't the superior product the one that does the job best for the person using it?
Ride lightly!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Ye Olde is totally right.........I just installed my CAT's and since we have 6 inches of snow, I haven't got to try the cranks on a long ride. I did ride them indoors, around a track and they are GREAT!!! My bike is now 11.9 lbs and the cranks alone shaved 150 grams. Stiffness is not a huge issue for me, being only 152 lbs......but so far they seem as stiff as my other carbon cranks. Hey Superlite, have you ever used CAT cranks or are your opinions based on stuff you read???

jim

by jim

cyclemanpat, do us all a favor, and post your bike specs.

Superlite

by Superlite

Ye Olde is totally right.........I just installed my CAT's and since we have 6 inches of snow, I haven't got to try the cranks on a long ride. I did ride them indoors, around a track and they are GREAT!!! My bike is now 11.9 lbs and the cranks alone shaved 150 grams. Stiffness is not a huge issue for me, being only 152 lbs......but so far they seem as stiff as my other carbon cranks. Hey Superlite, have you ever used CAT cranks or are your opinions based on stuff you read???

It's inhearent to the design of the cranks that they are not as stiff, hollow carbon fiber vs. a carbon shell with carbon and ceramic reinforcements. There has not been any tests on CAT's but there has been tests on storck and FSA. Storck share the same type of construction as the CAT's and are about 1/3 the stiffness of the FSA's, 1/4 the stiffness of the new DA, so similar stiffness should be expected from the CAT's. Look around the web and you'll find the review, also did a post about this a few months ago with good information and comparisons.

I have had FSA cranks and they look like junk compared to these beauties!!! Plus it is cool to have parts that not everyone owns....everyone I ride with and see has FSA cranks...........Boring being like everyone else!!!!!!!!

FSA's are far from junk, and they are the most advanced cranks produced (along with the new Campy Carbon). If they are so junky why are European teams riding a US product?

By the way, I saw the picture of your CAT's. Just wondering is that the only picture you took of them?

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I am actually getting around to that....I am still finishing it for the upcoming race season.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I said they looked like junk compared to the Cat's. They perform nice, just much heavier than CAT. I think reading a review is great, but I believe that using a product is the best conclusion. To answer why are all those teams using FSA cranks.....well, sponsorships!!! CAT's were never produced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com