Carbon rigid tapered 29er fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swannie

by Swannie

Hi,

I'm building myself a Scott Scale 29er with tapered headset.
I'll be using a Reba (tapered) during marathons, but for trianing and flatter courses, i'd like
to use a rigid carbon fork. The only one i seem to be finding is the Niner fork. This is available in "raw" but still it has Niner in big white letters on it. Any one knows another option?

thanks!

digit3

by digit3

AFAIK, all the others I've seen are non-tapered. I have both the White Bros and a Ritchey. The Niner fork sure looks sweet. I think that you can get them custom painted too. Not sure if they'd paint or do raw w/o their name on it though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Swannie

by Swannie

yeah, that niner fork looks really sweet. The only about'em i don't like is the "niner" logo :)
Painting'em is an option...

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

deleted.
Last edited by yourdaguy on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I painted my Niner Carbon fork black. I had a gold one on a gold bike and wanted to move it to a different frame. I taped and lightly sanded it and painted it with black appliance paint. Appliance paint is rock hard and after 4 months it still looks new. The "Niner" is very slightly visible under certain lighting conditions due to it being slightly less tall than the painted part of the fork. In your case, more sanding and 2 coats of paint might solve this problem. Mine is still on a Niner so I don't care about that.

I think they used to offer the black fork with removable decals or at least Niner mentioned they might offer it in a forum when the fork was announced and not yet available. I would call Niner, they are super easy to talk to and they might solve your problem with a non-decal fork.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

THe Niner fork is the best that I have used of rigid forks so if you can figure out how to use it, I would. Another option it to have decals made up the same color as the "Niner" and put them before it such as "2" "Twenty". Another option it to get Scott to send you a pair of Scott decals large enough to cover it up. There is also the red 9er logo at the top to deal with but you could cover it over with a "NO SHOX" decal that a guy on MTBR is selling.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

According to this article, Niner offers the fork unfinished to qualified painters.

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/10/28/ ... k-on-test/

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I've seen the Niner fork on every brand of bike. I would say get over it or get stickers or overpaint it

jmilliron

by jmilliron

+1 to getting the Niner fork and either dealing with it or repainting it. I really enjoyed mine, though I can only compare it to steel 29er forks and 80-100mm suspension forks.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

kibsen

by kibsen

There is a 1,5 -> 1, 1/8 adapter with the framekit.

Got a Scale 29 RC framekit last month

Swannie wrote:Hi,

I'm building myself a Scott Scale 29er with tapered headset.
I'll be using a Reba (tapered) during marathons, but for trianing and flatter courses, i'd like
to use a rigid carbon fork. The only one i seem to be finding is the Niner fork. This is available in "raw" but still it has Niner in big white letters on it. Any one knows another option?

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Swannie

by Swannie

I know you can use a non tapered fork, but that's ugly.
It seems to be the only option is buying the niner raw fork.