Opinions on the 2011 Cannondale CAADX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

I've only saw a few snapshots of the bike and a basic spec, what are folks opinions on the bike and potential as a lightweight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

icolquhoun

by icolquhoun

i am under the assumption it's the same frame as last year......
correct me if i am wrong

Frans

by Frans

Well the name is a fooler for sure - CAADX could be a reference to it's derivation from the Caad 10 road frame or it could mean it's a Caad 9 for cyclo X. Not sure as I've not seen the CAADX close up --> Big indicators would be separate seat stays like the SuperX and flattened chainstays like the CAAD 10 and a conical HT.

I hope they've not shortened the chainstays too much, I like a CX bike to have a CX ride i.e. much soften than a roadbike. The long wheelbase will help it track better too. Kona and 1 other maker I can't remember have shortened CSs by a centimeter or so for 2011.

I am looking for a CX bike for commuting, the odd race, off road riding and the Paris Roubaix sportive. A tall order I know...

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Frans wrote:I am looking for a CX bike for commuting, the odd race, off road riding and the Paris Roubaix sportive. A tall order I know...

I´ve used my cx for all of the above (A Wilier Escape Cross) Can´t see why most cross bikes can´t fill those needs.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

cswi9367

by cswi9367

i got to see one as a teammate of mine had his out for his first ride yesterday. i was definately impressed. he has the CAADX with rival build and it is quite light (i did not weigh), but for the build , i was surprised at the weight.

the frame is very impressive with its shape and stiffness. it looks great and is very stiff. the CX9 and CAADX are both very stiff. the real difference in appearance is the shaped headtube area and also near the BB area.

for the price and build, i dont thnk there is anything better out there. i would suggest this to anyone.

durkonion

by durkonion

icolquhoun wrote:i am under the assumption it's the same frame as last year......
correct me if i am wrong

Here's the old Cyclocross:
http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Pr ... clocross-3

And here is the new CAADX
http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Pr ... SRAM-Rival

It looks like the seat stays are pretty different, but it doesn't look like a tapered headtube.

Frans

by Frans

Darn, they cheaped out on the fork - from an SL70-x to an Ultra X. (I wonder if these are still made by Time).

Any idea on the weight of a 54cm Caad9x or CAADX? Wonder if they're below the 1550 grams of the Giant TCX. The dale "seems" a more highly evolved creature...

Frans

by Frans

I'm not so sure I'm all that enamoured with the new CaadX compared to the outgoing CX9. They've radically re-shaped the tubes but is that really due to mechanical improvements or new manufacturing techniques due to a change of venue?

NEW: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec025337 vs OLD: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec020310

The idea of the separate seat stays appears like a good way to increase comfort but they've ditched the pyramid downtube which their frames have had for years. The flared top and down tube junctions with the HT (esp on the Caad 10) frankly look like Giant TCR. The new rear dropouts look good.

Does anyone know if the CaadX is lighter than the CX9? I'm not sure the CaadXs are even shipping yet.

Auk

by Auk

Frans wrote:Darn, they cheaped out on the fork - from an SL70-x to an Ultra X. (I wonder if these are still made by Time).

Any idea on the weight of a 54cm Caad9x or CAADX? Wonder if they're below the 1550 grams of the Giant TCX. The dale "seems" a more highly evolved creature...

Probably an improvement over the prior fork.

Spirometre

by Spirometre

Does anyone know the frame weight of these though?

I would have thought they are respectable knowing Cannondale.

other things being considered are the Jake the Snake 2011 (BB30 option). Any opintions???

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

old thread, but finally weighed my 58cm frame w/bb30 bearings and rear hanger and it was 1735. Heavier than I thought it would be.
Replaced it with a superX and it is 1140 with all the same specs as above...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Frans wrote:Darn, they cheaped out on the fork - from an SL70-x to an Ultra X. (I wonder if these are still made by Time).

Cannondale haven't used Time to supply forks for several years.

CAADX by all accounts is a great cross bike with zero parts requiring swapping out from day one barring personal preferences.

bxr6

by bxr6

The Ultra X fork on the CAADX has an aluminum steerer tube and weighs 630g. The EC70x for comparison weighs 775g(advertised). I put an ec90x fork on my CAADX to shed some weight but I found the stock fork to be very nice.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Yes, I was happy with the ride of the CaadX and the fork. Maybe a little soft, but nice for rough cross races.
I believe the weight on the SuperX fork was 467 with compression plug installed. It was right around 160-180 grams lighter than the caadx fork.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

This is a great Thread...
I bought a Caad9 CX afew years ago and to be honest only really started racing it this year.
A mate of mine dabbled with the idea of Cyclocross this year and was very mucch up for a CaadX (thinking it to be a caad10 frame with CX adaptions)
Anyway it turned out that the CaadX is actually a relaxed Caad 10 CX frame aimed at the guy who will use it to commute Monday to Friday and CX at the weekends - the geometry is not as "CX race agressive"
If you are a CX purist then the carbon cx frame (Super CX) is the one for you!
My mate was not impressed with less than full-on race geometry and he hunted down a 60cm caad9 cx frame which gave him
1. Reassuring Cannondale Aluminium Alloy frame ("Jaysis if I wanted carbon I'd buy a Colnago")
2. Full-on CX race geometry
3. Top end CX specific bike with proven credentials at an affordable price
So....
The caadX is a top alloy frame but not pure CX geometry?
the Super CX is a top carbon frame with pure CX geometry but expensive
the Caad9 CX is a top ally frame with pure CX geometry and with a race winning pedigree and affordable, but only available second hand
or is this a load of cobblers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com