Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie - Season 3

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

cool bikes!
i'd stay with the red housing at the handlebar and also the yellow tape, but take black housing from the seattube/toptube cable stops on. coloured housing doesn't look so good for me when it's too long...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theCannonball

by theCannonball

bikes look great Rich!

do you really find the ftb to be smoother than the g&t?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

They are both awesome with mirror handling. I find the FTB to more more torsionally stiff.... but we're splitting hairs.

But I can't really comment as I've never owned/raced a G&T... just ridden bikes from the demo fleet. Last years I was on a Stevens team carbon. Comfort is similar, but the Van Dessel Fork blades make such a huge difference. Van Dessel's have zero front brake chatter issues.

theCannonball

by theCannonball

i currently ride a g&t, and i love it. the ability to grab a kung-fu-fist full of front brake down a dry washboard descent at full speed without the slightest hint of chatter is a thing of beauty. the overall handling of the bike has helped me to push my single track riding skills, despite the lower BB.

a year ago i would have never dreamed of spending $2k on a cross frame, but for all the advertising mumbo jumbo i don't buy into i do believe in the "laterally stiff, vertically complient" mantra of carbon frames and wheels.

as i get more and more into cross, i am realizing the need for a backup bike. if not for actual racing, you need one on standby in case the rigors of training knock out your machine a few days before your weekend race road trip. Edwin is a stand-up guy who loves cycling. if the FTB is akin to the G&T, that's enough of an endorsement for me to support his business!

ms6073

by ms6073

Nice, nice bikes. Since you have the white saddle, how about white Gore Ride On cables and white bar tape like Fizik or Lizard Skins?

Rich_W wrote:Last year I was on a Stevens team carbon. Comfort is similar, but the Van Dessel Fork blades make such a huge difference. Van Dessel's have zero front brake chatter issues.

Thats interesting to read. I raced the Stevens carbon cross frameset with TRP EuroX mags and other than some small bits of Mastik on the brake tracks, never had problems with front brake chatter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Update -- Red cables and yellow finishing take is gone. Black cables and black finishing tape. I like the red bar tape. Stays clean. Can't stand white on CX bikes, nor the feel of lizard skins or fizik bar tape. I run exclusively Profile brand, non adhesive, synthetic cork style tape. Durable and comfortable, plus I have skin allergies so it works for me. I like the non adhesive tape as it stretches nicely when wrapping, and does not leave any goo residue on the bars.

The fork on My Steven's chattered horribly. Regardless of brakes (I tried Eurox and then switched to TRP 950s)... Yellow Swiss Stops on Carbon rims. Van Dessel's fork is a night and day difference.

Other than that the Stevens is a nice bike -- however, like the reason we're now seeing a bunch with fork mounted cable guides. Also realize the fork is heavier (500G) and has a tapered steer tube. The Steven's fork is 400g. The failure mode (using six sigma speak) is the weight, ATMO.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

OK... pics of final config... Sissy red cables and yellow finishing tape is gone. I'm done :thumbup: All that's left to do is race the snot out of them.

Am I an effin poseur or what?

Attachments
ftb_trp_01.jpg
ftb_trp_05.jpg
old_man_in_the Killer_Bs.jpg
barriers_in_the Killer_Bs.jpg

racerjrp

by racerjrp

I was checking out your bikes at the Hillbilly Hustle. Very sweet. The matte finished one is way cooler.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

thx -- next time you see the pair, they will both be matte. Matte was the original spec. The gloss is a pre-prod unit that is being moved to the demo fleet. We will have our demo fleet/trailer at the rest of the MAC and USGP events. Be sure to stop on over and take one for a spin!

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Check out the Velonews Home Page! My media saavy is paying off... KA-POW! and right before Granogue no less! Woot, Woot. My friends certainly smiling right now!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/10/cyclocross/cyclocross-buyers-guide-part-two-mid-priced-cross-rigs_146327

Attachments
FTB_and_REV_on_Velonews.jpg
Last edited by Rich_W on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zatoichi

by Zatoichi

Nice bikes. Is that a size 56? How tall are you?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

yep... 56cm and I am 5'-11.5"

Zatoichi

by Zatoichi

I am asking because I'm debating over the 54cm or 56cm, and I'm 6' even. The 54 was too small for you?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I was riding a 54 with a 12cm stem and the handling is awesome... however, I found it hard to make the transition to get it on my shoulder to run. I ride a 56 with an 11 slammed no spacers and its perfect.

Boogie

by Boogie

What are your experiences with the FMB SSC tubulars compared to Dugast Typhoons on durability/grip/rolling resistance?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com