Chinese Carbon Tubular Rims- Just Arrived!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

geedawg

by geedawg

what's the link to hongfu's site? is it this?

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/

possibly interested in a set of 60mm clinchers. . .

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Estelja

by Estelja

The website is www.e-hongfu-bikes.com

aeroslave

by aeroslave

are these the same framesets/wheelsets sold by ebay seller user name : "bicycle_999" ?

They have gang rape prices. I want to make sure that if its the same company...chances are it might hold up a season or two of racing and training.
Looks similar, priced similar....
"Light bike? Its still about the engine!".

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

How stiff are the wheels? I've been looking at doing some custom builds and have been looking at a couple different sources for rims but I can't make up my mind so the more I know the better :)

I'm 5'10" 182lbs at the moment (will be down below 170 by next race season) and have a 1500 watt sprint (will also increase by next race season) so stiffness is pretty important to me.

showdown

by showdown

The eBay seller for HongFu is Jenny Liu who uses the handle "anybaby8088" I think "bicycle_999" is another Chinese or Taiwanese seller...

Currently in Chicago I know of a few people using 50mm carbon rims from China for the Chicago Cyclocross Cup- 12 cross races... Thus far with 4 races down there have been no failures or issues with the rims.

With respect to stiffness- that's more a symptom of how you build the wheels... I'd probably no advise on a radial pattern for the front or a simple 2 cross for the rear- you might want to look into a 3 cross all around... the wheels will be a tad heavier but should be significantly stiffer- in addition be mindful of using good spokes... I used DT Aerolite and they're worth every penny.

Ultimately I built mine up for about $550... whatever the outcome, if I only get one season out of them (I can still salvage the spokes and hubs in worst case) that's not a huge punch in the wallet... I mean a set of Zipps even with pro deal is going to run about $1800- for that price I would build 3 wheelsets...

sbh1973

by sbh1973

Some at RBR actually went to the factory to meet Jenny. Pics are here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showth ... 9#poststop

showdown wrote:The eBay seller for HongFu is Jenny Liu who uses the handle "anybaby8088" I think "bicycle_999" is another Chinese or Taiwanese seller...

Currently in Chicago I know of a few people using 50mm carbon rims from China for the Chicago Cyclocross Cup- 12 cross races... Thus far with 4 races down there have been no failures or issues with the rims.

With respect to stiffness- that's more a symptom of how you build the wheels... I'd probably no advise on a radial pattern for the front or a simple 2 cross for the rear- you might want to look into a 3 cross all around... the wheels will be a tad heavier but should be significantly stiffer- in addition be mindful of using good spokes... I used DT Aerolite and they're worth every penny.

Ultimately I built mine up for about $550... whatever the outcome, if I only get one season out of them (I can still salvage the spokes and hubs in worst case) that's not a huge punch in the wallet... I mean a set of Zipps even with pro deal is going to run about $1800- for that price I would build 3 wheelsets...

aeroslave

by aeroslave

thanks showdown....I am choosing between a stiff crit aluminum frame or a cheap carbon frameset for an addition to my roadbike training stable. I plan to retire the six13 to fulltime trainer duties....
"Light bike? Its still about the engine!".

anicomp568

by anicomp568

48mm tubular rims from WW user hanzypanzy + novatec hubs + dt revolution spokes ~ 1230g

Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

showdown wrote: I had many (24) emails with Jenny, the customer service manager.

I bet she liked you. Her time spent responding to you emails probably cost the company more than the wheels were actually worth. So, please explain, if buying these wheels was such a great experience, how come you had to exchange 24 emails with the seller?

Mackers

by Mackers

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:46 am

addictR1

by addictR1

i wonder how good are the hongfu vs. farsport version?

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Valbrona wrote:
showdown wrote: I had many (24) emails with Jenny, the customer service manager.

I bet she liked you. Her time spent responding to you emails probably cost the company more than the wheels were actually worth. So, please explain, if buying these wheels was such a great experience, how come you had to exchange 24 emails with the seller?

Language barrier.

These guy can speak basic English but won't understand normal jargons we use.

I've dealt with a lot of Chinese sellers before. You always want to make sure everything's clear.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

addictR1 wrote:i wonder how good are the hongfu vs. farsport version?

I can speak for my 50mm Farsports Tubulars and they have been working really well for me. Nice and stiff, fairly light at 1200g. Farsports had good customer service as well.

I've had them for 7 months and they've worked well. Rode a local crit race this past weekend and cornering was very nice.