Salsa Podio in at 6707 grams, very little carbon used.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ChristianK

by ChristianK

Just introducing myself and admitting to my semi-obsession with building light bikes. That is the first step, correct?...This is one of five bikes, my daily crit/riding bike (depending on wheelset). I was running a Basso Gap Ti titanium bike on loan from a good friend and went down on that a few weeks back...so I wanted to put together a better (less expensive and less sentimental) bike for next year's races. I picked up the frame/fork/headset for $200 and I am pretty damn happy with it thus far.

I have not raced it yet because the season is winding down, but it feels pretty damn good thus far and it is not nearly as harsh as any aluminum bike I've ridden to date. Salsa did an excellent job on the design of the bike and it is too bad they are not bringing a revision of this model back next year. Salsa Podio details can be found here.

Code: Select all

--78  Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork
--48  Bottle Cage: Carbon
---6  Bottle Cage Bolts: Factory Salsa Aluminum
--53  Bottom Bracket: Super Record Cups
-346  Brake Levers: Campagnolo Carbon Ergopower™ Record™ BB Controls 10s
--88  Rear Brakes: KCNC C7 Road Brake
--88  Front Brakes: KCNC C7 Road Brake
-100  Cables: Campagnolo
-140  Cassette: Omni Titanium Cassette Campy 11-23
-226  Chain: KMC X10 SL Gold Titanium Nitri
-699  Crankset: Campagnolo Record 11 175mm Compact
--76  Derlr (Front): 2008 Record™ 10s front derailleur
--28  Clamp
-187  Derlr (Rear): 2008 Record™ CARBON rear derailleur 10s short cage
-335  Fork: Alpha Q GS10
1320  Frame: 2010 Salsa Podio 53cm Scandium Frame
-282  Handlebar: FSA Wing Pro Compact 440mm
--98  Headset: Cane Creek 110
--22  Headset Cap/Bolt: Token
---2  Headset Spacer: KCNC 1.5mm
-195  Pedals: XPEDO Titainum Look Keo
--46  Quick Releases: KCNC Road Skewers
-290  Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Gel Titanium
--12  Seat Binder: KCNC SC9 30.7mm
-148  Seatpost: KCNC 27.2 x 350mm
-136  Stem: 100mm -17 Degree Aluminum
-250  Tire (Front): Challenge Forte Tubular
-250  Tire (Rear): Challenge Forte Tubular
1100  Wheelset: American Classic Magnesium Tubular
--58  Misc Option: Zip ties, cadence sensor, grease, tape, misc.

Total Mass coming in at ~6707 grams or 14.77 lbs.

The only items in full carbon are the crankset, part of the FD, and RD. I have not been a fan of that material because I have not been able to find an easy way to recycle it...which just makes it more landfill IMO when it fails.

I am happy to address any questions, comments, criticisms, etc.
Christian.
Last edited by ChristianK on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Great bike and a top notch weight but slagging off alu as harsh is a bit of poor form.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Like.

There needs to be more light(ish), properly built steel roadies IMO.

Rides better than Ti, lasts forever and a day.

Alloy bikes feel (to me) like riding on a coke can. The BB-stiffness mafia are mostly delusional middle aged dental professionals.

The one problem is that you have a whole lot of head tube for a race bike. That said, for $200 you can hardly complain.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

ChristianK wrote:.This is one of five bikes, my daily crit bike.

You race a crit every day? What city/place offers a crit race every day? That's awesome! (If you like crits. I don't.)

ChristianK wrote:I have not raced it yet because the season is winding down,

Wait... what?

Also (because I wasn't kidding about the above comments), three notes:

1. Salsa makes some nice bikes. I love my Las Cruces. I'm glad you enjoy your daily racer. You must be in excellent shape if you're racing every day.
2. Damn you're a tall dude! Bet you hear that a lot! heheh :lol:
3. Recycle Carbon Fiber? It's possible. http://tinyurl.com/36az9cn
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ChristianK

by ChristianK

Tinea Pedis wrote:Great bike and a top notch weight but slagging off alu as harsh is a bit of poor form.

That is not quiet what I said, "it feels pretty damn good thus far and it is not nearly as harsh as any aluminum bike I've ridden to date." I can see how that could be misinterpreted, but I have no hate for any metal frame. Thanks for the complement regardless.

Tokyo Drifter wrote:Like.

There needs to be more light(ish), properly built steel roadies IMO.

Rides better than Ti, lasts forever and a day.

The one problem is that you have a whole lot of head tube for a race bike. That said, for $200 you can hardly complain.

Agreed, I have been looking for a 51cm Podio frame for a while and just have not come across one. This bike has gotten good reviews elsewhere, so I imagine that the owners want to hold on to the frames. I just finished a fitment with my coach and he did not comment much about the head tube since the final dimensions are within millimeters of my other race bikes. If I can stay competitive on this bike, then the few additional centimeters of head tube won't bother me at all.

I have a custom steel race frame being fabricated right now. I would like to wait on comments as to whom is doing the work and specifications until I see the final product and give the builder and bike an opportunity to perform. My goal is to get that bike built at under 14lbs with not too fancy of parts....except for the wheelset. I will likely use carbon on the seat and I am looking at Mad Fiber for the wheelset. Until then, I am still researching for a facility that can recycle the carbon fiber properly.

prendrefeu wrote:You race a crit every day? What city/place offers a crit race every day? That's awesome! (If you like crits. I don't.)

ChristianK wrote:I have not raced it yet because the season is winding down,

Wait... what?

Also (because I wasn't kidding about the above comments), three notes:

1. Salsa makes some nice bikes. I love my Las Cruces. I'm glad you enjoy your daily racer. You must be in excellent shape if you're racing every day.
2. Damn you're a tall dude! Bet you hear that a lot! heheh :lol:
3. Recycle Carbon Fiber? It's possible. http://tinyurl.com/36az9cn

Salt Lake City, UT. Snow usually hits the ground here around Halloween, which is coming up soon. We usually have three crit races a week during the season, and one TT...which just ended and now cyclocross season is upon us. Mix that in with other competing crit series events in nearby cities, occasional century rides/races, and the weekend recovery rides...we get several days of good racing/riding in per week. I can usually only do 3 actual race events a week and have enough recovery time to stay competitive. I tried 4 race days/week, but I am not fit enough to handle that for too long. I can feel myself lag down when I try that...so 3 races a week for now.

1. I agree with your comment on Salsa as a MFG, I have been nothing but pleased with this bike. I am a little bummed they are not bringing another version out next year. This is a great bike for the money IMO. I think the framset new was around $800.
2. 6' with a 34.35" inseam, tall enough, but not too lanky. ;)
3. Funny link, I understand google is a good resource. Although, actually establishing a relationship with a bonafide CF recycler whom recycles things in a proper fashion is a different story. Until I am comfortable with not creating additional landfill, I am going to stick to the alloys that I know I can take down to my local metal recycler, get cash in my pocket, and start the process over again for some future alloy purchaser to enjoy. That simply makes more sense to me...to much stuff is thrown away when it breaks and very seldom are recycleable things recycled properly IMO.

I'll say this now because my co-workers, family, and friends have told me for years that my text responses are too harsh, etc. I am old enough to know that I cannot change that. I do not intend to offend anyone, just giving you my perspective on things and responding where I can...just shrug anything off that offends ya.

Christian.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Well. Welcome. I love these project bikes that come in light with being uber-carbon.

Very nice.

Don't mind the natives, we are a welcoming bunch at the end of the day! :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

deltasierra

by deltasierra

ChristianK wrote:I picked up the frame/fork/headset for $200 and I am pretty damn happy with it thus far.

$200, where?

ChristianK

by ChristianK

deltasierra wrote:$200, where?
Ebay, where I've had reasonable experiences thus far, but caveat emptor. I actually prefer to use Campagnolo 10-speed stuff so I can keep my bikes all running 10-speed stuff for easy swapping.

deltasierra

by deltasierra

If that's true, everyone else missed that auction. GS-10 could be resold for $100-$150 alone and eBay is pretty arbitrage free. I've never seen one go that cheap and I've been looking. Good find.

ChristianK

by ChristianK

I've updated the bike slightly, but it is looking a bit better IMO.

I swapped the factory seat clamp (33 grams) for a KCNC SC9 unit (15 grams) and put a new set of KCNC C7 brakes on (in red) which added 8 grams, which is a net weight loss of 10 grams...nothing to write home about. I posted some maintenance information on the KCNC CB1 brakes and a comparison/review on the KCNC CB1 vs C7 brakes as well.

Christian.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

Hi Christian, welcome to the red brake club :welcome:. You will be the third person I know (including myself) who has red brakes on a road bike :beerchug:. Nice touch pal.

houtch78

by houtch78

Nice bike indeed. I ride a Podio as well and did crits and road races on it. I also did RAGBRAI on it and a century. It is a good all around bike. I run Campy 10 on mine as well.

One thing I had an issue with during a century was the Alpha Q fork' steer tube was way flexy so I replaced it with an Easton EC90SL and that made a marked improvement in handling and confidence. I bought mine new and have been told that Alpha Q has since stopped making forks.

Anyway, Nice bike and glad to hear that you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com