anyone here regret their parlee?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timsterc

by timsterc

Have had my Z5 since last December. Best frame I've had the pleasure to own.
Sold my Cervelo R3SL - as I just couldn't get past how well the Z5 climbs, DESCENDS, and the all-day comfort.
My Ride - Parlee Z5

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

redbeard

by redbeard

I am not geriatric yet, have never ridden a Gran Fondo, but I will bend over backwards for Parlee. Best frame I have ridden in the 12 years of racing. MAYBE I would tweak the geo a bit but I wouldnt hesitate to race stock.
I am not one for writing glowing reviews with my palmares included in order to sell myself and my opinion. What I do instead is give an opinion when asked and so far everyone who has followed my suggestion of getting a Parlee has been very happy.
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Parlee, along with Walser and Spin to me are the current gold standard of frames.
Had mine for a couple of years, can only concur with the praise above.
Many, many companies in the bike business would count themselves lucky to have a Tom Rodi on board.
rolobikes

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I am in the process of purchasing a new frame for training/bad weather/winter/travel etc...

I will most likely be getting a Z5. That will be my second Parlee and I am looking forward to it.

FreaK

by FreaK

carbon2329 wrote:....

You can't go wrong with a company that has their type of busness mentality (i.e. We just want to make good bikes).
I spoke with Tom at Interbike and I don't think he would me mind quoteing him. I asked him why Parlee didn't have a booth, he said (in a nutshell),"It's just not how we do business, we just want to make good bikes for shops and people who want them".

Even if i didn't like the final product for my own reasons, that is the kind of dude i would get behind!
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

Beans

by Beans

ok so i think ive settled on the z4

_SJ_

by _SJ_

The only thing I regret about my Parlee is not getting one earlier when they were a bit cheaper.

eigner

by eigner

carbon2329 wrote:I have a Parlee Z3 Custom with SL tubing.
It really is the best balance between light/stiff/agile/smooth
I use the term smooth because I think it is more appropriate that comfortable. (comfortable sounds too soft. I is definatly not soft, but it is definatly not harsh.
VERY SMOOTH

I think the layed-up carbon to the precisely cut tubing that make it feel so precise.

If it is in the budget I don't believe you will ever regret it.
The only regret people have is when they get one and they really prefer the Ferrari look (pina, colnago paint, flashy graphics etc..) but you will never regret the ride. I 'm quite certain.

Hope this is helpfull.

+1 on that. I own a Z3 custom with SL tubing and I fully agree. It is very, very good. Agile, stable, smooth and I got it in a very subtle style that I really like (matte UD with matte 3k lugs). Its the complete opposite of my Pinarello.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I hate to say it but I prefer my Z5 over my Z1. I know another person who also has both and is pretty torn as to which one he likes more.

The z5 is one of the best frames ever. The Z4 is almost as good.

ritcheykestrel
Shop Owner

by ritcheykestrel

While I do not own one, there are obviously people that do regret them. I see used ones on Ebay all the time. Everything from Z-1's to the latest Z-5's. I also see shops selling the new ones, but there have been quite a few used ones. They are obviously people who are not on this site though.

shapeofthings

by shapeofthings

I've had the Z4 and now have the Z5. Same components on both, only the frame is different.

Z4 was great, but the Z5 is definitely better.

Lighter, stiffer in the right places (especially in the BB), tapered headtube does give it more control in front. It feels super solid, but I never feel that bad riding on my local crappy roads. Plus it doesn't look super aggro-crazy like other modern carbon bikes.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

ritcheykestrel wrote:While I do not own one, there are obviously people that do regret them. I see used ones on Ebay all the time. Everything from Z-1's to the latest Z-5's. I also see shops selling the new ones, but there have been quite a few used ones. They are obviously people who are not on this site though.

Most likely the ones that either want to upgrade to a newer version, or they got the wrong size. And obviouly the possibility that the ride was not what they expected but for that kind of money it better be :mrgreen:
Last edited by stella-azzurra on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

shapeofthings wrote:I've had the Z4 and now have the Z5. Same components on both, only the frame is different.

Lighter, stiffer in the right places (especially in the BB), tapered headtube does give it more control in front. It feels super solid, but I never feel that bad riding on my local crappy roads. Plus it doesn't look super aggro-crazy like other modern carbon bikes.

what's aggro-crazy?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Roobay

by Roobay

stella-azzurra wrote:
shapeofthings wrote:I've had the Z4 and now have the Z5. Same components on both, only the frame is different.

what's aggro-crazy?

All that curved SH1T :mrgreen:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com