New rules for posting For Sale

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
range
Shop Owner

by range

I don't have trouble with these new rules.

In fact, I wouldn't buy something from someone who hasn't been on the board for that long. What if you get screwed? By getting stuff from member with a few hundred posts, and who have been here for a while, you can be a bit more trustful.

It's one thing if it's for $30, but what if it's like $2,000? One thing's for sure, I haven't got that sort of money to waste and I don't plan on finding out. Yet if I were to buy something off a long-standing member, I'd have more confidence.

Cheers!
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I don't have problems with the rules either.
It seems a non-issue given the conditions posed.
However, I think each and everyone of us should have some common sense on who to buy stuff from, and it applies to pretty much all online transactions.. We get posts on the forum regularly about 'i got screwed on a deal..'.
Some of the replies here do give me a feeling of "like it or leave". I am not convinced that is in the right spirit as it's quite a emotional/elitist kind of response. Just state the rules and be done with it.. no need to defend the rules by saying 'take it or leave it' as it's a bit of a personal attack..

The forum might be privately owned but it's still a a public forum.

Cheers :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

strobbekoen wrote:The forum might be privately owned but it's still a a public forum.

now that is a bit like a contradictio in terminae.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

No it's not.
Anyone can register and participate so it's open to anyone, hence public. At least that's how I would define it.
All public forums have rules yes, and most of them are privately owned.
If it's not a public forum, then what is it ?

Cheers :D

linkysys

by linkysys

When was this rule enacted and was there any discussion of grandfathering long term members who joined previously? It doesn't seem likely to me that a member of this board for a couple of years would be joining up for the sole purpose of selling stuff. Is the point of this rule to prevent SPAM or to compel the contribution of content?

linkysys

by linkysys

range wrote:Yet if I were to buy something off a long-standing member, I'd have more confidence.

Therein lies the problem. You could be a member since the inception of ww and have fewer than 30 posts. Even if you had full posting privileges at the time you joined, those privileges are out the window.

mtbsd

by mtbsd

I also think the new rules are good. It's not easy to rack up 30 posts unless you've been on here for a while. This keeps the spam off the marketplace!
Visit my website: Mountain Biking San Diego

Bigfoz

by Bigfoz

I've been a member for a while, but rarely post. While I don't disagree with the concept, I think the bar is set kind of high. Unless you babble it's easy to take a while to get to that level. Yet, if I wanted to sell a bunch of stuff, I could easily generate 40 posts, so not sure it does anything other than discourage long serving shy types...
In fact, at the rate I post, it will take my almost 4 years to be able to sell anything. Better start babbling as I have a house move coming up and 1 Colnago Master X-lite too many!

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Bigfoz wrote:I could easily generate 40 posts, so not sure it does anything... Better start babbling as I have a house move coming up and 1 Colnago Master X-lite too many!

The benefit of the rule being that as a buyer you can track back thru the sellers previous posts to see if they are a genuine sort of person or not.

I've bought some good items from ww sellers but also bought stuff that would have attracted refunds / negative feedback on ebay - the ww sales pages put a lot of trust in the seller to be honest & fair about describing items, which unfortunately isn't always case.

You need to be able to get a feel for the person you are dealing with before putting the cash down in what otherwise is an unprotected trade - the rules are a positive move imo.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

mr_tim wrote:
Bigfoz wrote:I could easily generate 40 posts, so not sure it does anything... Better start babbling as I have a house move coming up and 1 Colnago Master X-lite too many!

The benefit of the rule being that as a buyer you can track back thru the sellers previous posts to see if they are a genuine sort of person or not.

Yea, there are a few that post and sell items regularly that I can think of that will slam particular items in a post or review and then a month later put it for sale and then can't say enough good things about it. :noidea: obviously not the brightest.
This rule does help weed some of those out.

bayareauser

by bayareauser

I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I have purchased several items from other members and honestly just risked getting burned. Fortunately, all the transactions initiated on this forum have been smooth. My only negative experience so far was getting screwed on a traded item on a different board.

I support the minimum post requirement as it would serve as an initial filter.

nuttymango

by nuttymango

Another long time lurker here. I'm guessing I have 20 or more posts but I'm not sure so here's one more to get me closer to the magic number 30.

When possible, I like to assess the risk by buying a cheap part before springing for the big ticket items.

mrnotwo

by mrnotwo

I don't understand the 30 post limit either. If poster's integrity is in question, one can just not participate in the transaction. No one is forcing you to buy. Also, poster can provide ebay feedback as a substitute, maybe? Although, I know it's worthless but not more than 30 posts.

Edit: 28 posts to go.

ravenswood

by ravenswood

At first I didn't agree with the rules, and almost came to the decision on not coming back to the site. I am glad that I didn't stick with that. I now understand the reasons behind it. Lets be honest, 30 posts is not that bad.
It is true that I first came here to sell some items. I now add what I can to posts and find myself reading more than I would have thought. There is some great topics and gets people involved regardless of their knowledge. Some very basic right to advanced.

Thanks guys and keep it up
Rocky Mountain Altitude 90 | Fox Float RLC | XTR drivetrain | Formula R1 Brakes | Race Face Carbon Bars/Deus White Stem | Crank Brothers Cobalt Seatpost/Wheels | Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

ravenswood

by ravenswood

Oh and even though at my 30 posts, I do plan on posting some items for sale, but I won't be stopping at that 30.
Rocky Mountain Altitude 90 | Fox Float RLC | XTR drivetrain | Formula R1 Brakes | Race Face Carbon Bars/Deus White Stem | Crank Brothers Cobalt Seatpost/Wheels | Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com