Campagnolo Neutron for winter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Well, they're not cartridge bearing hubs but cup and cone ones (except for the freewheel) but I agree with the policy to not use the grease ports for servicing purposes.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

fitty4

by fitty4

SLAKKIE wrote:You also can try the Chamsins ans very cheap to!

fitty4 wrote:I have been looking at campagnolo neutron for a while and I need a new set of training wheels, I want some wheels that a tough enough for the winter and I want them to be fairly light, responsive and stiff and i have heard so much good stuff about the neutron but can they last through winters?

By fairly light I mean less than 1700 gr. so khamsin is not an option, sorry for not mentioning that! Neutrons has been ordered now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Irish

by Irish

Had a set of Nucleons (Version before Neutrons) & they only packed up last winter after nearly 9 yrs use in all conditions & being used for all sorts of events inc cx, the hubs, which were never serviced in that time were getting rough and on servicing them (smooth as new after service) i noticed the rim was worn to failure point(split appearing in rim where lip is). Campagnolo hit the pinnicle of alloy clincher wheel design with these & the steel spoked version of the Eurus. Only annoyance is replacement rims are like chickens teeth.

fitty4

by fitty4

Irish wrote:Had a set of Nucleons (Version before Neutrons) & they only packed up last winter after nearly 9 yrs use in all conditions & being used for all sorts of events inc cx, the hubs, which were never serviced in that time were getting rough and on servicing them (smooth as new after service)

That´s the durability i´m looking for!

I have a set of wheels with Ringlé hubs and they lasted about 5 winters now maybe 6 but now the rim is starting to fail and the bearings need a service for the first time...looking forward to try the new wheels...still waiting.

liam7020

by liam7020

A mate is selling a set of Campag Neutron Ultra clincher wheels at a decent price. I don't really need any more wheels but then I thought this set, shod with a pair of Vittoria Pave tyres, might do nicely for my trip to the Tour of Flanders sportive in April. Thoughts? Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've got 2 sets.

the first I bought new about 3 years ago.

I liked them so much I picked up a used set very cheap. They turned out to have been really used hard. I ended up replacing the bearings, which are standard Campy internals, doing some minor truing, and they have been perfect ever since.

i'm 190# and ride on mostly poor MUTs and roads.

The Neutrons have been great. Never a problem, very comfortable and stay true. Did I mention they are pretty light too?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LionelB

by LionelB

They are bomb proof

Have a set since 2007, never touched them, never serviced them.

TimW

by TimW

They are great wheels, have a search and you really won't find many bad words about them. Probably not worth their full retail value but if you can get a deal on a pair or a decent second hand pair then you can't really go wrong with them.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Probably not worth their full retail value

If anyone knows of a better* wheel for less money then I'm all ears.....

* In every respect that is.

Ciao, ;)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Quoting above not required

I hadn't read the whole thread before because it was so old.

My contribution to the "winter wheels" question is that I have ridden these through some of the worst salty wet conditions you can imagine. Campy's seals are impressive. I took apart a hub after a couple of nasty winters thinking I should and it was totally clean inside.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

fitty4

by fitty4

My rear hub failed on me, I think salty water came inside as there was no rubber seal on the freehub towards the hub, the new hub has one though. If I would buy similar wheels today I would buy zondas, they are cheaper and about 100 gr lighter allthough I don't think they look as good as neutrons.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My rear hub failed on me, I think salty water came inside as there was no rubber seal on the freehub towards the hub, the new hub has one though.

Surely all Neutron came with a seal between hub and freewheel. It's easily fixed as any part can be replaced.
Zonda lighter than Neutron?
I didn't know that but it's a totally different wheel, isn't it. I always found these Neutrons so easy going, comfy and not fatigue-inducing.

Ciao, ;)

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You're talking about the seal that's actually on the free hub itself, right? If that's the case then, no it's not listed as a spare AFAIK.
I'm sure a friendly shop could pry one off a toasted freehub. They all keep some shot ones aside for spares, don't they? :P
Actually I thought he meant the seal on the hub, freewheel side.

Worst case, old OS axle and round hole FH: replacement kit ~ 110 Euro over here on the continent.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com