ax-lightness frame with 580gr?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alex_ucsb
Shop Owner

by Alex_ucsb

is the 3800EUR price, as given a couple months ago, still accurate? Also, what are the color options going to be like?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pk0r

by pk0r

The Alpha is a FULL custom frame, i.e. besides geometry and paint jobs we also customize the layup of the tubes as well as well as the tube shapes themselves. Hence weight quotations (for a frame or frameset) are a little hard and inaccurate as they always depend on the underlying demands. We intentionally did not show the lightest frame we can do at Eurobike - the shown frame is a size 55, built for a 100 kg rider and weighs 725 grams. Our intention is to offer a perfect racing machine with an as high as possible degree of customization and room for individualism, not necessarily simply a light frame per se. Frame weights start from 580 grams for a size 48; a painted frame in size 54 will be under 700 grams. We were having our designer / painter with us at the show, painting two frames in custom fantasy designs over the course of the show to show that there indeed is no limit in regards what can be realized. One frame for instance has been following a Bavarian theme with Bavarian scenery, flag, beer mugs and Weißwurst. That very frame will be auctioned for the children anti-cancer foundation next month.

The replaceable alu rear derailleur hanger is a concession in regards to usability and handling; besides the alu bottle cage bosses it is the only non-carbon ingredient on the Alpha. The shown frame is still lacking a hole in the carbon dropout to allow the RD hanger to be bolted on.
Final pricing as well as info on availability will be available shortly.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

J-Nice

by J-Nice

pk0r wrote:The Alpha is a FULL custom frame, i.e. besides geometry and paint jobs we also customize the layup of the tubes as well as well as the tube shapes themselves.

Our intention is to offer a perfect racing machine with an as high as possible degree of customization and room for individualism, not necessarily simply a light frame per se.

This is the future for carbon frames. Hard to do if you've based your manufacturing in Asia and charge an arm and a leg for cookie-cutter frames all made in the same factory.

pk0r wrote:One frame for instance has been following a Bavarian theme with Bavarian scenery, flag, beer mugs and Weißwurst. That very frame will be auctioned for the children anti-cancer foundation next month.

That is excellent. Absolutely a great gesture on the part of AX Lightness.

pk0r wrote:Final pricing as well as info on availability will be available shortly.

Whatever the price is, that is a lot of work to put into a frame. The custom options seem almost endless.

I am intrigued by the fact that Axel said they have a database of other brand carbon frames and can customize carbon tubes to whichever frame feel a customer would prefer. So let's say someone prefers their Giant but aren't crazy about the geometry-you can customize the geometry and Axel can dial in the precise tube configurations so the frame can ride just like one.

A lot of innovation with this latest offering from AX Lightness.

Out of curiosity-how many employees does AX have doing all this work? It can't possibly be a one-man operation...
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

djconnel

by djconnel

The thing about custom carbon is it brings to the fore the question of optimal geometry. I don't think many riders have tried so many bikes they can really answer that question. Probably the topic for a different thread.

For example, my Fuji SL/1 has a ton of trail, along with what Jan Heine calls "wheel flop": 71 deg head tube with 45 mm fork. This is in part to avoid toe-to-wheel overlap, which Cervelo for example is willing to tolerate to get a steeper head tube in the small frames.

So my question here would be: without being asked to explicitly copy an existing frame design, how does AX choose the geometry?

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Intriguing. I would like to dial in a Pinarello Dogma geometry and asymmetric tubes design with AX Alpha's Lightness. Can/ how will this be done? I would like to know how this design intention can be translated into reality. What would be the ride quality of such a "hybrid"? It would be a personal dream for me to have have a WW (not the lightest but safe) Dogma. What of the fork? Is it also customizable? Surely this will affect the ride quality of the individually customized frame.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

djconnel

by djconnel

I'd love to see a blind test conducted where riders either rode a Pinarello Dogma or a prototype Dogma constructed with symmetrical tubing.

Not that asymmetry doesn't make sense, just I'd like to see some data supporting it.

musket

by musket

The asymmetry is of particular interest when you see them fail though!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Nils, heading up to Interbike after Euro ??

pk0r

by pk0r

Sadly not Lee. We were booked in to exhibit at EICMA in Milano, but just got informed last week that the show has been canceled. So neither Interbike nor EICMA for us then.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Hey Nils ... that's not good ... thought could catch up over a beer or a frappa this year! :)

Interbike won't be the same without you there ! :p

How was Eurobike, heard there was plenty of interest over at the AX booth?

range
Shop Owner

by range

Good to hear about this frame. A lot of interest was generated by AX for this.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

TS-Biker

by TS-Biker

pk0r wrote:Sadly not Lee. We were booked in to exhibit at EICMA in Milano, but just got informed last week that the show has been canceled. So neither Interbike nor EICMA for us then.

can't you place a small boot at Bikemotion Utrecht on 21/10 :beerchug:
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it !

lonned

by lonned

It seems that you can now order the Alpha frame. The prices will be a "bit" different than originally quoted but that is the result of the decision to skip the standard frame option and now only offer complete tailor made frame sets (with pictures of Bavarian beer glasses on the frame if that creates your dream bike)(I have already tried to make a deal with my wife that if I get her approval to purchase the frame that I will ask AX to put her pictures on the frame).

You can order the frame set starting in November and it will take around 1-2 months to produce the frames.

I have now (November 2, 2010) edited my original post as the reference to the Alpha frame on the AX website has totally changed. Some weeks ago two options were described but due to the fact that the frame can be build in endless options Ax has changed the reference and now only included a picture of the Alpha with a reference to their contact details. If you contact them it is very likely that you will have a conversation with Da Nils.

lonned

by lonned

“My” frame set has finally arrived. It is 1569 in total (the scale I used started with 2g and is not top notch). This is for a complete set consisting of a painted frame (around size 58) for someone just below 80kg, uncut AX6000 fork, bubu headset, Morpheus crankset, seatpost collar, bb cable guides, rear derailleur hangers, and braze on for front derailleur. Not too bad I would say.

The weight can be a lot less but I wanted a comfortable and stiff frame for my daily rides (and of course also kept the weight in my mind). Unfortunately I received the standard color green/black frame set (see for good pictures the AX website) instead of a “ghost” frame I ordered but AX will manufacture a new one which will replace this frame once it is finished. Until that moment I can use this frame set so this is a very customer friendly way from AX of dealing with this issue. Once I have my own frame I will try to weight the individual parts.

I will post pictures once the Alpha looks like a real bike.
Attachments
AX.jpg

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You haven't described the circumstamces of the erroenoeus frame color, to include who first mentioned it (e.g., AX before shipping, or you on receipt). But if AX doesn't get the color correct, can they be trusted to get the rest of the details correct, including preferences on stiffness, comfort, etc., which might not be so easy to "see" in the finished product?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com