Best Lightweight AND Comfortable Saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JoWul

by JoWul

Specialized BG Alias (weight?) on one bike and Specialized Toupe Team (166 gram) on another. Confortable even for rides in the 6 hour range. I like that they come in various width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Road Runner

by Road Runner

Selle San Marco Aspide carbon FX, claimed weight 118g!
Any review about this saddle?
Attachments
SSM Aspide Carbon FX 118g.jpg
I prefer to ride a $3,000 bicycle instead of a $3,000 car!

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

Great input. Testing the Selle SMP Glider and Forma next week. Never tried Prologo--will have to track one down.

Loving these AX-Lightness offerings...especially the dropout version... :thumbup:
Attachments
AX Rainbow.jpg
AX dropout.jpg
Training Days: Colnago Cristallo
Mountain Days: Colnago AMOREps
Off Days: Ducati 600SS and Bimota DB1
Track Days: Honda CBR1000RR
Yesterday: Colnago Regal

ksroadie

by ksroadie

SMP Full Carbon works great for me.

KWalker

by KWalker

Anyone have any problems with the width of the AX Lightness Sprint? My current saddle is 134mm so I was worried that it would be too narrow, but noticed that it seems to just not flare out after the seatbone contact point. I am thinking about getting one from a forum member and I was also wondering if anyone had experienced slipping problems with the all carbon surface?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

marecej

by marecej

Tune Concorde, the best saddle i've tried, way more comfortable than ax-lightness offerings (except Endurance, they are too stiff)
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

linkysys

by linkysys

selle italia teknologika flow saddle (carbonio). has a decent cutout and is ultra light. not cheap.

Road Runner

by Road Runner

It seems that Specialized is going to launch a full carbon Toupe (not the Toupe SL), called the Toupe Pro!

linkysys

by linkysys

Just be aware that many of the ax products have weight limits which implies that durability could be a concern. Make sure to try the saddle before you buy. They really push the envelope which is great as a ww, not so great for real world function. A CF saddle, even with a fair amount of flex, is still going to be intrinsically harder than the typical leather/foam/nylon shell. My backside still prefers leather, even if it's a meager split grain piece bonded to a nylon shell (selle italia slr 135g). I ride both SLR and San Marco Aspide models. Both are durable and light, yet still afford enough leather/padding to be functional. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are comfortable, but they do the job. A rec rider will look at these saddles as a medieval torture device. I certainly wouldn't want to ride on either of them without a set of bibs with decent padding.

The most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden was a well worn Ideal Modele 90 (same design as Brooks), but it was nowhere near light enough for a ww thread. The design of those saddles afforded a level of comfort which made them enjoyable even without padded bibshorts. The concept of designing a saddle as a leaf spring is not new. The Ideale and Brooks saddles were basically a leather hammock which had a tension adjustment to make them softer or stiffer. The first plastic saddle was a Cinelli Unicanitor introduced on race bikes in the 60's. It replaced the leather with a very plyable nylon shell. It was surprisingly comfortable. The AX saddles continue the same tradition, only with new materials. The limitation, of course, is the flexibility of the CF and the fatigue life of the matrix/resin combination. When carbon fails, it is often a catestrophic failure. This risk can be mitigated by bonding in a layer of kevlar.

I am not aware of any pro riders using saddles with CF shells. I think they do too many miles to compromise comfort, even on the hill stages of the TDF.

Road Runner

by Road Runner

New S-WORKS Toupe Carbon on sale (but out of stock)!
Also available with titanium rails.
Attachments
S-WORKS Toupe Carbon.jpg

gumgardner

by gumgardner

The weight limit on the AX saddles ( not premium) is 85kg. If you are more than that a carbon saddle is going to be very uncomfortable anyways.

swinter

by swinter

I've been riding an Aspide for several years, first the padded "arrowhead" version (not the FX, which is not nearly as good in my opinion), then the Carbon Aspide (with Ti rails in blue). Loved that saddle, but it was getting loud and creaky so it was time to replace it. Was thinking of getting a Superleggera but, at the last minute, pulled the trigger on a Full Carbon SMP (from the Pro Stuff website).

From the very first ride the SMP was noticeably more comfortable overall, and especially, especially more comfortable when riding in the drops. (Little or no squish factor.) It's also made me just wee bit faster -- but I'm guessing that's because the saddle is taller than the Aspide and I left the seatpost as it was, thus giving me a bit more extension. (Though it could also be either the tapered sides, which definitely seem to free the thighs more when pedalling or, possibly, that I am spending a bit more time in the drops than I realize.)

Only real negative is that it was nowhere near the claimed weight of 105g; it actually weighed in at 130g (5g more than the Aspide Carbon). I wasn't surprised at that, but I was disappointed.

Also, I wish it came in blue. (But then, the Superleggera doesn't either.)

I think my old blue Carbon Aspide made for a more dramatic looking bike. But, I have to say, the SMP is one comfortable saddle.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

There is an SMP Carbon in Blue :thumbup:, but not the Full Carbon.
Attachments
SMP Blue Carbon.jpg
Training Days: Colnago Cristallo
Mountain Days: Colnago AMOREps
Off Days: Ducati 600SS and Bimota DB1
Track Days: Honda CBR1000RR
Yesterday: Colnago Regal

swinter

by swinter

Exactly. :cry:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

SLRs are the second best saddle for me ever. I ride a stripped one on my mountain bike (no padding) and race big long races on it without discomfort (12, 24hr).

I have an ebay carbon saddle that is the same shape on my roadie, weighs 94g (actual) and was $50. I thought it'd be horrible, but it's fine with knicks. It's torture if I ride it to the shops in jeans.

For really long riding, like touring, I like the Selle San Marco Concor Light. This is the comfiest saddle for me, ever, but it weighs 220g or so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com