2011 FELT

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

justkeepedaling wrote:Did anyone else notice the differences between the DA that the pros ride and the one pictured in the catalogue and white paper? The swan S downtube is gone and replaced by a standard front wheel cutout. What's the deal?

Heard from SuperDave that after testing (professional team and athletes) they decided the production version without the lazy S downtube was the version that provided the best results.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Looks nice to me. Can't tell if it has the old downtube or not?

Maybe Felt got rid of the S downtube b/c it was more expensive and it was cheaper to go back to the old downtube that they already had all the molds for? Just run 1 size pre-production model with the S shape for the pro team/to show off. Then go back to the old downtube to cut corners and save cost?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ahillock wrote:Any confirmation on the weight of the F1 frame? Or will this be like the Guru where it comes in severely over weight?

I weighed the raw 56cm frame we have here as well as the 58cm frame I'm riding (with one downtube decal and matte clear finish.

The 56cm frame is 764g. My 58cm is 794g. These are the weights w/o the mechanical cable guides installed. In the future, I should consider video taping this exercise and puting up a vid on YouTube, eh?

There is a frameset here also that was made for the Garmin guys (with alloy threaded BB shell) that is 878g in a 54cm for the frame alone. The alloy shell is heavier than the carbon BB30 shell, and the ~80-120g of paint/decal should have this bike in the 760g raw frame weight as well for the 54cm. I know the 61cm is going to have another 100g of beef added to it as the bikes are built proportionally stiffer so larger riders get the same stiffness and ride quality as the medium. The same is true for the 48cm which uses smaller tube cross-sections, different fiber orientation and lay up and as a result, a ligter, proportionally stiff frame.

-SD

Ahillock

by Ahillock

So while I know each manufacturer plays the #'s game with weight, I guess the F1 really isn't a "sub 800g"/ 800g frame. Add the paint and everything else and it is probably up to 860-880g for a 56cm frame. Still okay I guess. It is nice that SD has a pre-production/one off frame that is just the matte clear finish at 764g, but as noted that is preproduction and not a production model so that doesn't count at all. Guess they won't be beating Scott or Cannondale based on weight. Just wish bike manufacturers would start weighing the frame at the production/sale step instead of prior to paint, cable guides, rd hanger...etc. It is like saying I'm 3ft tall when I haven't been that height since I was 2 y/o and am now over 6ft. Hope the frame rides nice to make up for it. :thumbup:

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Someone sure has an ax to grind.

Thank you for the detailed information SuperDave.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

53x12

by 53x12

I don't think the weight is bad at all for a frame like this; especially if it is a stiff as Dave mentioned it is. The previous F1SL was a noodle. If this is not only stiffer than the Sprint version but 200g lighter that will be great. It is still competitive weight wise with the SuperSix Hi-Mod and yet $500-600 cheaper for a frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MARLON

by MARLON

53x12 wrote:I don't think the weight is bad at all for a frame like this; especially if it is a stiff as Dave mentioned it is. The previous F1SL was a noodle. If this is not only stiffer than the Sprint version but 200g lighter that will be great. It is still competitive weight wise with the SuperSix Hi-Mod and yet $500-600 cheaper for a frame.

But its just a FELT..when you will sell it after a year or two you will not get half as for a cdale susi
BACK IN BLACK

53x12

by 53x12

@ Marlon, however you are entering at a lower price point with the F1 vs. SuperSix. Just need to see how it rides.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

SuperDave. I am seeing lots of pictures online of all the high end models. Would you have any photos of the new F3-4-5?

Do you have any stack and reach numbers on the F series? Is it going to be the same geometry as last yr?

Has Felt thought about offering a slightly taller stack on the F series? Considering 95% of the folks out there that buy, race, ride, etc an F require more stack.

Any major changes on the Z series?
Last edited by spinwax on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NGMN

by NGMN

I'm not dave but bikerumor.com has pictures of the lower end F series bikes here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/08/23/201 ... cs-photos/

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

NGMN wrote:I'm not dave but bikerumor.com has pictures of the lower end F series bikes here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/08/23/201 ... cs-photos/

Thanks. I happened to find that last night. LOL. The new F3 and F4 look great. Might be my new bike. Need to find out the stack and reach.

NGMN

by NGMN

In the geometry chart here, look at the last page:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/resources/d ... 011_F1.pdf

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

NGMN wrote:In the geometry chart here, look at the last page:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/resources/d ... 011_F1.pdf

Perfect!! Thanks. Nice, the 58 with the 160 head tube has a higher stack than my current frame that has a 175 head tube. That is sweet!

spartan

by spartan

focus methodology for frame weight. :thumbup:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... 2011-27529

Claimed frame weight for the new 'Hi-Mod' Izalco Team is now 960g for a painted and decaled 56cm sample
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

That is the way frame weight should be done. Painted, decaled all that jazz done, then weigh it. I want to know what to expect to weight is when the bike gets to me. Could care less how much it weighs 3-4 steps before it even ships.

On another note, I am still liking the F1 for next year. Seems like it has a lot of potential and that the guys at Felt have worked real hard to make it better than its previous version.