Giant TCX 2011

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

brianvonlehe

by brianvonlehe

Just got the alloy frameset. Not built up yet cause my pressfit BB didn't come in as fast as the frame. It's white with half black fork and black rear triangle, extensively hydroformed tubing, 1 1/4" lower headset bearing, no CS bridge, only downtube set of bottle bosses (only thing I'm bummed on), needs 30.9 seatpost. Cables are routed on the top tube with a FD pulley, the rear der cable runs on the side of the seat tube, kinda weird. Top tube is almost level, very fast looking and proportional frame. The downtube is crazy wide where it meets the BB86 shell. Haven't had wheels in yet but the clearance looks really good. Frameset includes headset, carbon top cap, spare hanger, braze on FD clamp adapter, front cable hanger, seat collar with int rear cable hanger.

Size L frame (57.5 TT): 1530 g (w/o headset, seat collar etc)
Al/Carbon fork: 640 g uncut

Not quite a weight weenies dream but for the price and durability I'm way into it. maybe I'll try to upgrade the fork to advanced SL next summer.

Sorry for the no pics tease, don't have a camera. Paint is the same as this: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bik ... 315/44078/

lewdvig

by lewdvig

I am very happy with my 2010, so I am sure you will love this one.

Mine was 19.5 at the shop w/o pedals and is about 18.5 now with a few changes.
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Love my 2011. Better front triangle for shouldering and the BB is stiffer, something I had a complaint about last year.

I wish I could afford an advanced SL (and if they were actually available) Giant makes really nice bikes, especially with aluminum. I wish they would remake the TCR in Aluminum considering their aluminum mastery, would make an excellent budget racer much like the Caad 10 and the new Allez E5

calaris

by calaris

nitropowered wrote:Love my 2011. Better front triangle for shouldering and the BB is stiffer, something I had a complaint about last year.

I wish I could afford an advanced SL (and if they were actually available) Giant makes really nice bikes, especially with aluminum. I wish they would remake the TCR in Aluminum considering their aluminum mastery, would make an excellent budget racer much like the Caad 10 and the new Allez E5

Funny you should mention that. At least in Asian there are two flavors of aluminum TCR

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/zh-TW/bikes/model/tcr.sl.1/7126/43444/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/zh-TW/bikes/model/tcr.1/2883/39812/

therider

by therider

I love my 2011 TCX so far. I just ordered the frame and built up the rest.
http://gallery.me.com/joshcaffrey#10019 ... ack&sel=15

Can anyone confirm if the TCX frameset does in fact have a carbon fork? I feel like my fork is full aluminum. It's fine either way.
Bike weighs 18.5lbs as you see it in the photos.

therider

by therider

I would love the ability to upgrade to the fork on the 2011 TCX Advanced SL:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bik ... 315/44075/
It would match my TCX perfectly!

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The lowest model has an aluminum fork, the TCX 0 and 1 have carbon legs with aluminum crown and steerer

therider

by therider

Emailed Giant for clarification, got a bit I think:

From the Giant Response:
I would say if you have the frameset you may have the carbon fork already, but the frameset is the exact color as the 2011 TCX 2, which has an aluminum fork. (and no real markings to distinguish it from the 2).

jrennie

by jrennie

It is easy enough to tell, look at the base of the brake mounts. If you see welds then it is aluminum.

therider

by therider

Yep, no welds so it's carbon!
thanks for solving my crime.

brianvonlehe

by brianvonlehe

Yes my 2011 TCX alloy frameset has the AL steerer-crown / Carbon legs fork. The TCX 2 complete's fork is definitely all aluminum, at least for 2010.

I'm just assuming the TCX advanced SL's fork will be all carbon, i have no idea.

Just finished the build tonight, can't wait to ride tomorrow. Will try to post pics, it looks hot. Also kinda light, with all aluminum build kit i think it's just under 18 lbs(didn't weigh it after installing cables+housing and starnut/topcap). The top tube is a little reminiscent of the dolphin-like specialized tarmacs and roubaixs but much more tasteful.

ms6073

by ms6073

Anyone have a link to a Giant Bicycles site with the geomtry chart for the 2011 TCX Advanced SL? Although you can get to the product page on the US site, when I checked yesterday, the geometry was still not listed.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Should be the same. If you really want one, better put down some cash at a dealer right now. The situation will probably be like the Anthem X SL last year, never in stock general stock, only filling in backorders.

brianvonlehe

by brianvonlehe

check this thread, nitropowered posted it and this is the same as what my dealer had in the 2011 catalog, which your lbs may have. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64691
it's pretty similar to 2010 but not quite identical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

nitropowered wrote:Should be the same. If you really want one, better put down some cash at a dealer right now.

Already on the list, laid claim to the last size large slated for the first round to make it state side and expect it near end of September. My understanding is the Al TCX geometry is unchanged but that the TCX Advanced SL has the same standover but shorter top tubes. Was kind of on the fence as the M/L apparently has a 56.5 length top tube which is shorter than my 2010 Stevens while the size large has slightly longer top tube.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"