Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikedude

by bikedude

the hub and spoke's look a bit like the old Spinergy RevX but a lot lighter!
Dan...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Blog has been updated with a ride report and further pics:
http://mikesbikeparts.blogspot.com/2010 ... anada.html

Here are the wheels on my Passoni:

Best,
Mike

gumgardner

by gumgardner

What is the actual rim depth?

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Rim Depth = 60mm front, 66mm rear
Seriously light for that degree of aero-ness, or is it aero-osity?

GaryL

by GaryL

After waiting a while, I finally received my set and raced them at local circuit race. What a fantastic set of wheels... I noticed a significant performance improvement during accelerations and the risers on the course. Makes my (now replaced) 1300g carbon/stainless spoked tubulars seem like bricks. The braking service also permitted nice brake modulation without any "grabiness" found with some carbon rimmed wheels. Looks like these guys have it dialed in.

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

If i should get a set of tubular wheels in the future...and these still lived up to the hype..i'd definitely consider these by looking at the numbers
You guys already owning them, have good luck with them :thumbup:

worstshotever

by worstshotever

I feel very stupid making this remark, but having been thoroughly indoctrinated by now, what the heck. This is a pretty cool wheel for $2599, given the price of some of its competitors.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Cippo,

Please remove the stickers right now. Not because you don't like their looks or because they're already peeling off, but so you can tell us how much they weigh.

Murphs

by Murphs

I could never ride wheels with such poor spelling.

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

Murphs wrote:I could never ride wheels with such poor spelling.

Yeah, clearly there should be a Commonwealth of Nations edition

nicrump

by nicrump

this is a lot of surface area between the flange(star pattern facing inside) and the spoke. done right i wouldn't question its integrity.

the spokes are at least .070" thick and at ~ .5" width they can take a lot.

what i dont get is how they are attached at the rim. does it penetrate the rim?

GaryL

by GaryL

From my understanding in discussing with MF guys prior to purchase, the spokes penetrate the sidewall at the interior diameter of the wheel and are then bonded to the inside of the sidewall all the way to the rim. This would result in a bond appromately 50 mm long and 10 mm wide...pretty beefy...

by 11.4

GaryL wrote:From my understanding in discussing with MF guys prior to purchase, the spokes penetrate the sidewall at the interior diameter of the wheel and are then bonded to the inside of the sidewall all the way to the rim. This would result in a bond appromately 50 mm long and 10 mm wide...pretty beefy...

Yes, that's approximately correct. In addition, a piece of scrim is added over the spoke end, adding additional strength to the bond.

I believe the spoke has a T-shape at the end which increases the bonding area further, and the adhesive is an epoxy used to assemble carbon wing assemblies on military aircraft.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

CippoForLife wrote:Rim Depth = 60mm front, 66mm rear
Seriously light for that degree of aero-ness, or is it aero-osity?

That's really deep...but since they are so light, would they be good climbing wheels or would I be better off with something lower profile at a similar weight?

mythical

by mythical

I'm quite sure these wheels are an engineering marvel, from what I've read. The only things lacking a bit are aesthetics (at least decal-wise) and really low weight though I wish them all the success in the world with launching these babies! :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com