The Garmin Edge 500 Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmilliron

by jmilliron

mrfish wrote:6. Ability to draw a simple bar chart or histogram or distribution of HR and power over a ride or segment
9. Ability to manually add a standard ride, e.g. my commute, even if I don't have HRM etc. on the bike

___________________1___2___3___4___ 5___6___7___8___9
Strava______________Y___?___Y___N___Y___N___Y___P___?

Strava does both 6 and 9.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

mrfish

by mrfish

Thanks for the info - post updated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

A question for Garmin 500 owners. When doing a course, can you now customise all the data fields or do you still have to have the 4 user defined + 4 fixed course fields like on the 705?

Thanks.

djconnel

by djconnel

I didn't get any recorded data from Mt Tam Double yesterday (195 miles), perhaps because in my compromised state at the end of the ride I was thinking only of checking in, hydrating, and eating and not about hitting stop or reset. Instead I powered it down without doing these things.

I'm not sure if this is why I lost the data, but it is extremely frustrating.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Oh my god, I'd light the thing on fire if it lost that ride.

(Sometimes I over-react, though.)

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Ah, you guys are making me nervous with all the 500 horror stories. I'm about to pull the trigger on one, but I'm having second thoughts. The only thing I keep thinking is how when the 305 came out, I heard all these same stories, yet I haven't had one problem or lost one ride with my 305. The only theory I was ever able to come up with was that I use it with a mac and not a pc. Everyone I know who uses a mac with their garmin never had any problems. I know that's not really logical, but it makes me feel better.

I'm so used to my 305 that I'm hesitant to get the joule, even though it's clearly better for training from what I have seen, although I haven't fiddled with the 500 much.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

jmilliron

by jmilliron

FWIW; I've only lost one ride with my 705. My computer rebooted after I plugged in the unit and while the course/history was saving. Managed to corrupt that one ride. I think that's okay for over 2 years of use.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I had a run last year where I had multiple 705 files that would come up corrupt. One of which mattered and a WW on here very kindly repaired for me.

This year I've not permanently lost files, but there have been times it's done the uploading process and only half of the rides that should have been uploaded actually would appear. I would look for them to manually input them, and they would be gone.
Only then for the 'lost' files to magically appear the next time I did uploads.

:noidea:

Has a mind of it's own and is out to drive mine nuts, I'm sure of it.

Junk Mile King

by Junk Mile King

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been using a 500 since January and I haven't lost a single ride. It even recorded the ride when I started on low battery and the computer finally died 20 miles down the road.

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

Just got an Edge 500

Garmin Training Centre keeps telling me that the file type (.fit) recorded on the Garmin is incompatible and it needs to be .tsx The first time I powered up the 500 I walked around the house and recorded it, and that imported to GTC, but no rides will so far...

How do I make this work?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

GTC is a piece of shit, last I checked. Try Garmin Connect, Strava or SportTracks.

Oh and btw, GPS works very poorly inside.

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

Yeah i have noticed it is garbage, i'd just like to be able to try using it. Can you create workouts with Garmin Connect? Right now I'm using a combination of Connect, Strava, and Ascent. Just trying to see what I like best.

And I know it works like garbage indoors, it was just a test 'run' :thumbup:

Murphs

by Murphs

You use Garmin Training Centre to create workouts

petalpower

by petalpower

Is there any way to set the power zones on the 500 without doing so through the software that came with the unit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com