Tire pressures for Leadville??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chiva

by Chiva

Doing Leadville this Saturday. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good pressure to run my tubeless 29ers at?

Chiva

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevbikemad

by kevbikemad

seriously? i guess it depends on a bunch of info you didn't provide.

let's see, it is mostly boring double track, so maybe on the higher end of whatever you are usually comfortable on.
blah, blah, blah

Chiva

by Chiva

I ran 38 psi front and back on 2.0 Barro race tires (tubeless). Worked fine.

Chiva

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Unless you weigh close to 300# that was way too much pressure. The formula Stan's and most people use as a starting point is rider weight divided by 7 then minus 1 for the front and plus 2 for the rear. I weigh 175# and that works out to 24 front and 27 rear.

I have a set of Barro RAce TNT 2.0 29er's on Shimano 29er wheelset and the TNT's have a stiffer sidewall than the standard tire so I actually run 23,25 in that set.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Chiva

by Chiva

It might have been too much but it sure was a fast setup. No handling issues. I'll most likely run the same setup next year.

Chiva

Gregorio

by Gregorio

What tires? I have 29er with rocket Ron's now. They are ust but I am running tubes. Leadville is getting closer and I can't decide on tires.
Thinking about a wtb vulpine for rear and something with a little knobs up front.
Or should I go semi slick fr and rr?
Should I go tubeless ? I would get a Stan's kit if so, but I want to get things worked out so I have time to dial things in.

.....Scott scale 29er and I am 155 lbs or 68kg now. I think I can drop a few more lbs before August.
I have been running ~35 psi on my tubed rocket Ron's lately. I feel pretty comfortable with that on mostly fire roads and double track.

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com