Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
Has anybody tried to remove the big red anodized plug from the inboard side of a Formula R1 Brake caliper, i.e. this bit ?

Image

I would really like to anodize the part a different colour and need to know which tool is best (due to funky shape) and whether it was a complete nightmare or a piece of cake

Thanks in advance.

Si.

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:25 am
Posts: 2206
Location: Southern Indiana USA
If it is like most brakes, you just need the 5 sided tool and it should screw right out. But you will probably need an overhaul kit since the brake fluid will run out and while you are anodizing it, the seals might dry up and probably get contaminated too. This is going to be a heck of a lot of work for that little bit. Why not just get a black Sharpie marker and color it or paint it with black paint?

_________________
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:23 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Poland/Toronto
All R1 color combinations come from a guy in Italy thet sells the sets on ebay.it I can PM you his email, so maybe you could purchase this part anodized black if that's what you need, or he could do a different color for you. Who knows.

Chris.

_________________
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Denmark
I have done on my brakes. I made the little tool at work and it came right out. The reason for doing this was to anodize the caliber gold and the cap black so it fit my Scott Scale LTD. you have to be aware of that it is a nightmare to bleed them afterwards as they have been completely empty of fluid.

Enjoy your work.

Morten Nørgaard

_________________
braking is the first sign of fear!!!!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
Cheers for the replies guys, I try to answer each individually !!!

yourdaguy wrote:
If it is like most brakes, you just need the 5 sided tool and it should screw right out. But you will probably need an overhaul kit since the brake fluid will run out and while you are anodizing it, the seals might dry up and probably get contaminated too. This is going to be a heck of a lot of work for that little bit. Why not just get a black Sharpie marker and color it or paint it with black paint?


I probably will colour it in with a black marker, the other red bolts on the caliper and master cylinder / brake lever are easy to remove and will be anodized in green, I really wanted to get this part green as well but it might be a bit too much of a hassle to do, I don;t want to wreck my new brakes !!!

krzysiekmz wrote:
All R1 color combinations come from a guy in Italy thet sells the sets on ebay.it I can PM you his email, so maybe you could purchase this part anodized black if that's what you need, or he could do a different color for you. Who knows.

Chris.


I did order these brakes from the guy in Italy (clood69 on Italian eBay) because I wanted the white R1 with carbon levers, I just can't get green anodized ones to replace the red bits.

moten wrote:
I have done on my brakes. I made the little tool at work and it came right out. The reason for doing this was to anodize the caliber gold and the cap black so it fit my Scott Scale LTD. you have to be aware of that it is a nightmare to bleed them afterwards as they have been completely empty of fluid.

Enjoy your work.
Morten Nørgaard


Was it very tight / hard to remove ? I may be able to get the tool I need through a mechanic I know, in which case it may be worth doing. I don't think you can buy the tool and I don;t want to damage the brake removing it. Maybe a job for when it is too cold and frozen to ride in UK.

If not I will get a magic marker and colour it black. I did also think about using some green nail varnish but that will only add weight :roll:

Thanks again guys, knowing that someone has done it might make me have a go myself.

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Denmark
No they were quite easy to remove. When I did it I placed the caliber in between 2 vices and unscrewed it with a wrench.

_________________
braking is the first sign of fear!!!!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
moten wrote:
No they were quite easy to remove. When I did it I placed the caliber in between 2 vices and unscrewed it with a wrench.


Do you know if I can buy the tool or will I have to get one made ?

Many thanks again,


Simon.

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Denmark
Hi Simon.
I don´tknow if you can buy anywhere. I´ve just checked if I still had the drawing and the program on my computer because then would I have made one for you, but unfortunately everything has been deleted.

I´ll try to find it somewhere and if I find i´ll let you know.

Best regards

Morten Nørgaard

_________________
braking is the first sign of fear!!!!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
Many thanks Morten ... I would really like to get the correct tool as I don;t want to damage the brake caliper.

Thanks

Simon.

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:24 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Fort St John
You can also use a really large allen key. Fits in well enough to extract/install because it is such a low torque piece.

_________________
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick one.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
Benno wrote:
You can also use a really large allen key. Fits in well enough to extract/install because it is such a low torque piece.


Cheers Benno, I'll give that a go.

Si.

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
Little update in case anyone is interested ... You can buy the tool for removing the star wrench bolt as sown above from http://r2-bike.com/Formula-R1-Bremssattelwerkzeug_1 and it looks like this.

Image

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 514
Location: Sunny UK
just about to ask the same question ....

the link to the tool below does not appear to be working - are you able to find it again?

It appears to be made from resin/plastic so I am wondering it is is possible to make ones own using the plug as the mould - use something like thin cling film then pack the recess with epoxy/chopped fibre glass mat.


Simonhi wrote:
Little update in case anyone is interested ... You can buy the tool for removing the star wrench bolt as sown above from http://r2-bike.com/Formula-R1-Bremssattelwerkzeug_1 and it looks like this.

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 1308
Location: Bergen, Norway
Also interested in the tool. Got a pair of new blue caps but can't get the old ones out :(

_________________
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:43 am
Posts: 214
Location: Sapporo City, Hokkaido, Japan
I want one too! Anybody?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Red anodized Titanium?

in Road

verbs4us

13

1331

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:30 pm

verbs4us View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Toni Caad 10 anodized black.

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

a20dth

2

1417

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:52 pm

prebsy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Specialized Allez Race, E5 Smartweld, anodized gold, GOOOOLD

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

Birdman

43

6552

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Birdman View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Di2 7970 battery plug wiring

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

drmutley

16

765

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:29 pm

drmutley View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. A positive plug for Tire Alert Tubular repair

in Everything wheels

skiezo

2

276

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:48 pm

skiezo View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited