Deda Zero100- How Noodley

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

I see a lot of posts about how these bars are super flexy and I want to know first of all compared to what and, for the people reporting flex, how heavy they are? If a sprinter like Tom Boonen can get along with them fine I can't imagine the flex being akin to the EC90s or something similar. My final bar choice is between the Zeros, Bontrager Race Lite alloy, and Newton shallows (which I know are the stiffest, but I like the drops on the least).

I've searched for answers on this and just get basics 'its flexy' comments, but in the VeloNews test it was barely different from Easton or Pro
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ritcheykestrel
Shop Owner

by ritcheykestrel

I have a Zero 100 Stem and Bar and haven't noticed a ton flex.

Now, I have not ridden this bike(setup) as much as others, but I have to say me being 6'3 and 200lbs I don't notice a ton of flex. They seem pretty solid for me.

I have a 120mm stem and a 42cm bar.

I have many other setups and like I said, these seem solid so far.
Ritchey BreakAway | Ritchey Swiss Cross | Kestrel 500EMS | Kestrel 200EMS | Kestrel CSX | Moots YBB Air | GT Edge TI | Colnago Track | Cervelo P2 | Time Equipe | Time Equipe Tri | Mondonico Anniversario | Many MANY others!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Well I haven't ridden the Eastons or the Pros but I do have the Zero 100 and the Newtons on two very similar bikes, with the same stem (Zero 100) and the Zero 100 bar is very considerably flexier. Only an issue for sprinting I would say.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Fine for me..but i'm not a power sprinter.

MikeK

by MikeK

I've used the Deda Newton and Zero100 and they both feel stiff. If the Zero100 is stiff enough for Team Sky, it is probably good enough for a old hack like me.

gitsome

by gitsome

I switched my Zeroo 100 to a Zipp contour because the Deda were WAY TOO STIFF. My wrists and hands love me now.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

KWalker

by KWalker

My thoughts exactly, although Wiggins does not appear to be on a Deda bar that I've ever seen. I figured that I could give them a try for a bit and if they don't work, swap to the Newtons.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

lasrever

by lasrever

have both a newton and a zero100 - am a former pro sprinter (track, a LOOOOOONG time ago), 6'2", 200+

the stems are both on cannondale bikes w/ newton bars.
(newton - 2010 supersix (i broke a 2007 systemsix, and two 2009 supersix frames - i am not kind to cannondale carbon apparently; zero - 2006 six13 that has seen no problems what so ever)

they're both great - i like the look of the zero and while there is very little difference in the stiffness the newton feels like the bars are more positively held - think it comes down more to clamp size/style than actual torsional rigidity.

if you're not a big guy like me you probably won't notice any difference.

-n
thanks,
nick

KWalker

by KWalker

Thanks, just the kind of reply I am looking for. I'm only 73kg and even as a sprinter I don't feel that I torque the front end too much. I'm worried more about having bars in which every position is comfortable and the dimensions are spot on, but I wouldn't want something super noodly either. My bike has a stiff front end and very stiff fork, which matters more in the end.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Imma' 2nd gitsome on this one as I am and was riding the exact same thing. I had the 3T pro and Zipp SLs on the bike and the front end was just a little softer than I like. Went full Deda with the Zero 100 bar and stem. At 6'0'' and 145-150 lbs it was way to stiff. So I kept the stem at a 120mm/-8 and put the Zipp bars back on and now all is well. As to stiffness, I'm of the opinion that ultimate stiffness on bar and stem can be a bad thing. I for one, at my size, find that overly stiff bar and stem combos can be uncomfortable. Just sayin'

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

KWalker

by KWalker

That's why I asked them to specify their weight. It seems every 190lb+ rider seems to think they're a sprinter and claim its their power that flexes things, but in reality its their excess girth. I'm only 73kg, but actually have the power numbers of a sprinter so I wanted advice from people with my weight and riding style. Sounds like they should be perfectly fine.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gitsome

by gitsome

STARNUT wrote:Imma' 2nd gitsome on this one as I am and was riding the exact same thing. I had the 3T pro and Zipp SLs on the bike and the front end was just a little softer than I like. Went full Deda with the Zero 100 bar and stem. At 6'0'' and 145-150 lbs it was way to stiff. So I kept the stem at a 120mm/-8 and put the Zipp bars back on and now all is well. As to stiffness, I'm of the opinion that ultimate stiffness on bar and stem can be a bad thing. I for one, at my size, find that overly stiff bar and stem combos can be uncomfortable. Just sayin'

Starnut

6"0 and 150 lbS?! Good God Man! Have you replaced your bones with carbon fiber and veins with latex?

You must really ride A LOT! That's more substantially WW than a 12 lb bike.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

I had Deda Newton, it was fairly stiff. I put Zero 100 on a new bike, and it did not feel quite right. I then went Pro Vibe 7OS, and I when I ride my bike with newton is just felt soft. I am 6'0" and weigh 165lbs. I am not a sprinter, but I am really tempted to try that stem that Cav is running. The price is just outrageous.

KWalker

by KWalker

I then ask how stiff you front triangle and steerer tube are. I NEVER felt flex with either the Newton or Pro setups.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

175lbs, 5'6" sprinter. I don't know what my power output is but I can hit 45 on a flat with race wheels and on both my current road bike (Museeuw Mc-2 w/tapered steer tube, solid front end) and old bike (Lapierre X-Lite 700 w/tapered steer tube, also a solid front end) I could get some significant flex out of the Zero100 42cm bar and 90mm stem. Switched to PRO Vibe 7s 44/90 setup and it's much better.
I'm so rubbish at this.