Weight of Giant TCX 2010 frameset?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

billyfishWORC

by billyfishWORC

Dunno, but its bloody nice looking!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nodecaf

by nodecaf

I've got one and forgot to weight it before I built it. I will say it is quite a lot lighter than the previous version, the front end is a lot stiffer (no fork chatter under braking), much better mud clearance, and it actually has cross geometry. A huge step up fromthe previous generation. It's a hell of a cross bike for the money.

Monowai

by Monowai

I love the look of it, but would like to compare weights of the TCX and the (cheaper) Quantec CC SLR (1350g frame) http://img30.imageshack.us/i/dscf3658.jpg/

I know the Quantec was referred to in an earlier thread and got positive reviews from Simon.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I built up two of these and failed to weigh them. The frame is fairly light but the fork is a little heavy. about 600g uncut but you are pretty much stuck with it since it is a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 tapered fork. Unless there is a source for a 47mm OD x 28.6 ID 45x45 headset bearing to use a standard 1 1/8" fork

Peter_E

by Peter_E

What previous version are you comparing to? European or Us-model? I'm curious because I have a european TCX from 2006 that I really like but I'm looking for something lighter. I'm guessing that the fork might be quite heavy?

nodecaf wrote:I've got one and forgot to weight it before I built it. I will say it is quite a lot lighter than the previous version, the front end is a lot stiffer (no fork chatter under braking), much better mud clearance, and it actually has cross geometry. A huge step up fromthe previous generation. It's a hell of a cross bike for the money.

nodecaf

by nodecaf

Peter_E wrote:What previous version are you comparing to? European or Us-model? I'm curious because I have a european TCX from 2006 that I really like but I'm looking for something lighter. I'm guessing that the fork might be quite heavy?

nodecaf wrote:I've got one and forgot to weight it before I built it. I will say it is quite a lot lighter than the previous version, the front end is a lot stiffer (no fork chatter under braking), much better mud clearance, and it actually has cross geometry. A huge step up fromthe previous generation. It's a hell of a cross bike for the money.

I'm referring to the 2008 and earlier US model: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bik ... tions_id=3. This previous generation had much more "compact" geometry, the top tube was ovalized the wrong way (vertically!), and wishbone stays made mud clearance an issue. The frameset was spec'd with an EC90X fork which was plenty light, but I found it overly flexy and prone to horrific shudder under heavy braking.

I'm pretty sure the fork on the 2009/2010 model is heavier since it is an aluminum steerer, but it is much stiffer and the brake-shudder is gone. On balance though, as a frameset package, it is much lighter. Again, I did not weight them but hefting the two framesets side-by-side the difference was very noticeable. The bike is also much easier to shoulder and run with: higher toptube, flattened top tube, and lighter weight are responsible for this. It also handles nicely.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Ok, thanks. The Euro-model was much more similar to the new TCX in geometry.

ms6073

by ms6073

I have the 09 TCX 0 (orange/white/black) frameset that I built up with FSA OS-99 stem, K-Force 0 Sb seat post, Fizik Tundra saddle, K-Force compact bars, DA 7800, TRP EuroX Mags, and Reynolds Attack clinchers but have not weighed the frameset or the bike. It is used primarily for when we go on vacation but gets ridden on recovery rides and such. Raced it a couple times but and while the new fork eliminated brake shudder that I constantly experienced with the 08 and the Easton fork, the ride was a bit harsh by comparison.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lewdvig

by lewdvig

I just bought the 2010 TCX 1 FWIW.

In a medium, stock setup from the showroom floor (sram rival group, ~1900 gm wheels (CXP/Formula), tektro top mount brake levers), no pedals it was 19.5 lbs. I am targeting a 19 lb race weight with a couple of part swaps (remove the tektro levers, add light tubes, and swap the saddle for my preferred slr) and egg beaters.

Once I get down to 160 lbs I'll give it the WW treatment.

I have read that the 2010 frameset is lighter than the 2009. I had a 2009 TCX 2 and it was a pig (mostly due to the alum fork). I strongly advise anyone considering the entry version to avoid my mistake from last year, get the next model up. At $1450 CDN the TCX 1 is only $400 more than the TCX 2. For the extra money you get SRAM Rival versus sora and a carbon fork versus aluminum among other things.

These are great bikes.

Here is a picture I just took - no time to set up the seat, stem, bars yet.
Attachments
2010 TCX 1
2010 TCX 1
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct

limba

by limba

Monowai wrote:This one:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... 879/39338/

Any comments? :D

That's nice. I wish the complete bikes came in that color. The XTC frame only hardtail looks equally awesome. The complete bikes? Not so much.

pioneer

by pioneer

They've released photos of the 2011 Giants already- anyone have a link to the geometry? Especially the new carbon bike?
TIA-

nitropowered

by nitropowered

new bikes with new geo.

I'm gonna get at least one. Carbon version should be the same but its super expensive and I really have no idea when it will be available. The Aluminum versions should be available soon.
Attachments
tcxgeo.jpg

lewdvig

by lewdvig

Hmm, the 2011 M geometry is shorter by 1 cm - not sure if I like that. The current geometry fits me very nicely. But I will wager that GIANT will find another 100-200 grams to shave off the alum frame.
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I think they revised the Geometry so if you ride a M TCR, you should ride a M TCX. I rode a M TCX but this year I would be on a M/L TCX (If I had a TCR i would ride a M/L)