No more Pro tour topic, but a TDF topic instead

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
dré

by dré

While I also found this OT chat annoying I'd rather deal with it instead of having no Pro Team thread at all. :noidea:

chase196126

by chase196126

Tapeworm wrote: But having 3 pages in between the gems I found highly annoying,

I really do not understand how you can be annoyed by a few comments in between pictures. Is it really that hard to skim through? Is it anywhere near as bad as having a seemingly weekly "will :blank: FD work with SRAM?" thread show up on road forum home page? Do you get annoyed when you lose the fraction of a second reading the thread title and then moving on?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

Tapeworm - I'm afraid I've got to call you out on this one.

You've complained regularly about posts that don't add anything... yet you played a massive role in the continued growth of what is probably the worst thread I've ever seen on the WW Forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72546

You had a different opinion then someone else, let it go. Instead, from the top of page 3 onward, you went back and forth endlessly, seemingly motivated only by chain-yanking. The result was a discussion more childishly, pointless and just plain sad then anything I've ever seen in the Pro thread... and that includes the "like Mario" comments earlier this year, that I admit were totally off-topic, but freakin' hilarious. Off-topic as they were, my day was improved for having read them - not so with the 'contest' you got into as highlighted above.

Anyway, I hope this new TdF thread is a stepping stone towards some more permanent solution to the need for a proper Pro thread. In the mean time, would it be possible to have the old thread reinstated in a locked format - it's still a great resource and it is a shame that it is now inaccessible.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I fail to see the connection. I am not against chatter in threads, or opinions or sidetracking. Pretty much ALL the threads have this to a degree. I have a problem with this on such a long thread in which the mods had made their intentions clear many times to help remove this chatter.

As for the thread you've "called me out on" the discussion was in relation to the TT format. I argued my points, albeit repeatedly and in kind. At no point in time did I start discussion about the merits of kite surfing. You'll have to elaborate why it's the worst thread. People put forth their opinions as did I.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

js

by js

I guess my real issue is with the idea that 'arguing your points, albeit repeatedly and in kind' is any different then a "+1".

In my eyes, while I agree that almost all +1 quotes are near-useless, their interruption is a small one. Conversely, the masses of texts that went into each 'new' post in the aforementioned thread were far more wasteful. As you alluded to, the point(s), from both sides, were endlessly repeated over the last four pages of the thread.

As someone who races TT's on a road bike and was hoping for some shred of usefulness from the discussion, I truly fail to see how being forced to scan through four pages of "I know you are but what am I" level debate is in any way less offensive then the worst four pages of the Pro thread. A repeated post, albeit with new language, is still a repeated post and therefore is essentially a long-winded +1... but to your own previous post.

While you obviously weren't the only person responsible for this offence, you have been quite vocal the past few weeks in arguments against the reinstatement of the Pro Thread - seemingly always citing the offence caused by useless posts.

So I suppose my point is simply to say that just because your house looks bigger and fancier then +1's, doesn't mean it's not still made of glass.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

For the TT thread what were you expecting exactly?

Though I will pose the hypothetical scenario that had people followed the guidance of the mods would we be having this conversation now?

And why do we think they tried to implement these guidelines in this thread (being the pro thread) and not in others?

I LIKE chatter, arguement and banter. Was it that hard to keep it out of just one thread for everyones enjoyment.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You're assuming we all disliked the "chatter".

The reaction of the masses, to me, appears to say otherwise....

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Masses? Are you refering to the 100 odd people whom have voiced their opinions out of the thousands registered?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Allright, shall we call it a day guys?
Probably every argument is made now. I don't think that there is any need to go into this discussion more then this.

Thanks
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JK

by JK

Frankie - B wrote:Allright, shall we call it a day guys?
Probably every argument is made now. I don't think that there is any need to go into this discussion more then this.

Was this post even neccessary? You are right, everything has been said now, but apparently, more users want to show their support of the questions that are raised and some want to show support for the current moderating culture. What is wrong with an ongoing debate? Are you guys out of disc space?

You cannot stand critisizm, that is what is wrong. Start listening, stop over-interfering.