Optygen....does it work?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ks04us

by ks04us

Isn't there the possibility that this stuff can chemically increase the amount of hemoglobin in your blood? I'm not saying it does?can substiute for good training but it might help for like alttitude racing or something like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gentri

by gentri

Optygen site:
http://www.firstendurance.com/optygen.html

Consider reading their references. i will. :D

J-Nice

by J-Nice

I would stay away from anything that is composed of a "proprietary blend". I have yet to see a valid definition of what that is. Also, anything composed of herbal prducts from Asia usually means stimulants that will do damage to you in the long run. Can anyone say Ephedra???

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Ephedra --- can anyone say now legal

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Tempting..... but..... no. :D
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

I am sure that 90% of people reading this has taken Ephedra at some stage or another, just about every anti histamine or flu cures have it in them. Also know as mau hung, Chinese version. I am sure prolonged use would show some effects like sleeplesness hyperactivity and also one of thos favourite amphetemine traits, mild to strong schizophrenia.

This is a useful drug though, and it is good that the UCI have legalized it, for people that suffer badly from allergies it should be welcome news.

But surely it would be open to abuse especially in the amateur ranks, it will not be a systematic doping product more of a on the day pick me up. For this purpose it would be pretty useles by itself but spiked with 200mg of caffiene it becomes rather potent :shock:

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I use optygen and love it. I have noticed two things with it. Firstly my ability to maintain my max sustainable HR increased giving me longer harder efforts. I was also able to elevate my max HR about 7 bpm and sustain it during shorter efforts.

More importantly for me being an endurance rider my average HR dropped for the same sustained efforts giving me more endurance and recovery.

I know a lady Tri who had blood tests done on and off the product. Her Hemocrit numbers where the same % but their volume had increased, giving the ability to transport more O2 on the larger surface area.

I have recently moved from sealevel to Colorado, and have not used it up here so i don't know if there are any additional pro's or con's.

bobalou

by bobalou

I found a fairly good article on the use of phosphates. This guy did a study on it apparently. Phosphates may be the main reason that Optygen could help as i think it's an ingredient.

http://cyclecoach.com/articles/?article ... s&ext=.htm

gentri

by gentri

nzkiwiguy wrote:I use optygen and love it. I have noticed two things with it. Firstly my ability to maintain my max sustainable HR increased giving me longer harder efforts. I was also able to elevate my max HR about 7 bpm and sustain it during shorter efforts.

More importantly for me being an endurance rider my average HR dropped for the same sustained efforts giving me more endurance and recovery.

I know a lady Tri who had blood tests done on and off the product. Her Hemocrit numbers where the same % but their volume had increased, giving the ability to transport more O2 on the larger surface area.

I have recently moved from sealevel to Colorado, and have not used it up here so i don't know if there are any additional pro's or con's.

Hematocrit is the measurement of the volume of red blood cell mass in 100mL of plasma volume. This does not carry oxygen, hemoglobin does, only 4 molecules of oxygen can be carried by 1 hemoglobin.

Cyco

by Cyco

Back when Moser was going for the sea level Hour record he was having problems with phosphate levels in the blood. Will have to dig out his book to provide details.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down