Campy Super Record shifting problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAFERACER

by CAFERACER

Hi All,

Has anyone here ever had any issues with the thumb shifter for the front derailleur not springing back after being pressed down? For some reason it isn't springing back however it if I manually push it back up everything seems fine.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I had the same problem. My problem was that the bartape was rubbing the thumbshifter.
If that is not the case, it could be the cables or FD spring or....

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Hi

Yes that's come up on here before - the comment on it was;

a) make sure the thumb lever isn't being obstructed by your hand - which would block out the finger paddle swinging thru - sounds daft, but sometimes happens when your not paying attention & you've got bulky gloves on.

b) make sure the plastic hood cover is fully recessed & clear of the shifting mechanism. Again sometimes your hand will push the rubber cover forward & into the mechanism, thus causing the levers to stick & block out.

If its neither of those, maybe your shift mechanism is gunked up.. the ergo is surprisingly easy to strip & clean, so give that a shot. Takes about 15mins to strip it out & re-build it once its off the h/bar.

The other thing I'd note - if the FD has slipped (sometimes happens with a chain coming off) then cable tension can be lost, which means it won't upshift all the way thru. Check the FD position & consider re-setting cable tension from the shifters inner most downshifted position, if that looks like it might be the cause.

CAFERACER

by CAFERACER

Thanks for the reply, I have just finished a weekend of racing in the wet, I will have a look and maybe it is just gunked up with grime.

DaveS

by DaveS

The brake hood can ride up and need to have the lower edge pulled down. This opens up the slot in the hood and allows the lever arm to travel freely.

pino76

by pino76

sorry to pull up such an old thread, but i have the opposite.
My front mech. sometimes shift automaticly to the smal gear, witch is very annoying when you are up for a sprint... :?
Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Is it possible to make the spring tighter so it stays in the correct position of the indexring..?

rustychain

by rustychain

pino76 wrote:sorry to pull up such an old thread, but i have the opposite.
My front mech. sometimes shift automaticly to the smal gear, witch is very annoying when you are up for a sprint... :?
Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Is it possible to make the spring tighter so it stays in the correct position of the indexring..?

Is the cage in the proper position? If not set the limit screws. Can also be a chain line issue. Does it happen in a particular gear? Cable tension set correctly? Also a slightly bent tooth on the chainring. I don't think the issue you discribe is related to spring tension or gunk in the shifter unless it's really gunked up or a kink in the cable. In most cases like this I just reinstall everything, it's faster then looking for the specific issue
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Mine are a little slow to snap back to position as well. I'd say it was a rarer, intermittent problem, but my issue now is with both shift buttons(on both levers). They occasionally lock up and are unshiftable? Campy says the reason is due to my hands resting on the levers while riding. Their advice is to push upwards on the shift button/lever until they become free. I've had no luck with this solution, and should resting my fingers on the levers completely lock up my shifters? As the shifters are less than a year old, I'm concerned about the performance in time...

tommasini

by tommasini

Tricky1 wrote:Mine are a little slow to snap back to position as well. I'd say it was a rarer, intermittent problem, but my issue now is with both shift buttons(on both levers). They occasionally lock up and are unshiftable? Campy says the reason is due to my hands resting on the levers while riding. Their advice is to push upwards on the shift button/lever until they become free. I've had no luck with this solution, and should resting my fingers on the levers completely lock up my shifters? As the shifters are less than a year old, I'm concerned about the performance in time...

What Campy is refering to is if you have even a small bit of finger pressure on the longer shift levers (behind the brake levers) at the same time you are trying to press down on the thumb levers then they will lock and won't shift. Sounds elementary but when you are knackered a bit you might not realize what all the digits (fingers) are doing at that point in time. In my case I know about it but still it happens maybe once or twice a season.....Other than this, my suggestion mirrors what others have said - check that the hoods don't create too much of a bind and that handlebar tape (wrapped around the clamp on the back side of the lever) isn't also causing the problem.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

tommasini wrote:
Tricky1 wrote:Mine are a little slow to snap back to position as well. I'd say it was a rarer, intermittent problem, but my issue now is with both shift buttons(on both levers). They occasionally lock up and are unshiftable? Campy says the reason is due to my hands resting on the levers while riding. Their advice is to push upwards on the shift button/lever until they become free. I've had no luck with this solution, and should resting my fingers on the levers completely lock up my shifters? As the shifters are less than a year old, I'm concerned about the performance in time...

What Campy is refering to is if you have even a small bit of finger pressure on the longer shift levers (behind the brake levers) at the same time you are trying to press down on the thumb levers then they will lock and won't shift. Sounds elementary but when you are knackered a bit you might not realize what all the digits (fingers) are doing at that point in time. In my case I know about it but still it happens maybe once or twice a season.....Other than this, my suggestion mirrors what others have said - check that the hoods don't create too much of a bind and that handlebar tape (wrapped around the clamp on the back side of the lever) isn't also causing the problem.

It was explained differently to me by Campy, however, what you are saying makes more sense. The Campy tech said he had the same problem of resting his fingers against the shifters while riding, and had to push outwards or upwards to free them when they locked. In my case, my shifters periodically lock when pushing one lever or the other, not simultaneously as you explained. For them to unlock I very deliberately have to push each lever/button independently until it unlocks, not sure exactly how it happens?

The hood was rubbing a little on the shift button, appreciate the tip there. Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread a little, but I tried to tie it back in to the original topic. Hope it works for out you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dustin

by Dustin

pino76 wrote:sorry to pull up such an old thread, but i have the opposite.

There's a bolt on the back side of the shifter that keeps everything tight inside. If that loosens, the shifter will start to feel soft and the adjustments will seem to not hold. Does your's feel soft, as well? If so, check that bolt and make sure it's tight.