I love Veloflex Corsa 22 Folding tires + Latex tubes.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Had my first ride on these tires. Man they are sweet. Smooth as butter. I had Conti GP4000S (schwarz) on before. They wore very well, but they were past the warning marks for life so I replaced them with some Veloflex Black aka Corsa 22. Then put on some Michelin Latex tubes. I use Veloplugs instead of tape.

I can't believe the difference. It is like night and day difference.

Bike I have them mounted on:
2006 Cervelo Soloist Aluminum w/ Carbon seatpost
Open Pro 32h laced to CK classic rear hub with Dtswiss supercomps.
Open Pro 32h laced to Clark Kent Pineapple front hub with Sapim CX-Ray (old school MTB front hub)

It took the "ring" out of the aluminum frame. The bike felt like it floated over the road. It is almost like I don't feel the texture of the road anymore.

I wonder what it is like to ride on tubulars. I have never ridden a tubular wheelset but I find it hard to believe that anything could ride so much better than veloflex Corsa + Latex tubes.

As a comparison to GP4000S and Conti Presta lite inner tubes.

-Prorace2 w/ same conti presta light tubes... more supple wore faster
-Prorace3 w/ same conti presta light tubes... wear is better than ProRace2, not as good as GP4000S, but they don't seem as supple... for some reason I don't have cornering confidence with them... I don't know why. Also I picked up more flats with ProRace3s than ProRace2s... again not sure why. Could be bad luck?

I have Vitorria Open Corsa EVO 320tpi sitting in a box waiting. I have yet to ride these.

I just wanted to share my new cycling happiness story. Thanks for reading.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Cheers! wrote:I wonder what it is like to ride on tubulars. I have never ridden a tubular wheelset but I find it hard to believe that anything could ride so much better than veloflex Corsa + Latex tubes.

Funny post... the tubs ride with a little bit more give to them if anything, but the characteristics are pretty similiar.

You should try carbon tubs though its a nice ride + you get super light wheels + aero benefits.

BTW what sort of mileage have you gotten out of them so far?

kgt

by kgt

Veloflex are top tires.
There is really no comparison between a nice high tpi clincher (open tubular) and a low tpi clincher.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Not many kilometeres at all. I just mounted them 4 days ago. I have about 200 kms on them. When I first put them on, I thought... hrm... did I only put 80 psi on these tires. I turned around. Put the pump back on and tried to inflate them higher... But they were at 120 psi which was what I originally set them at...

I'm astounded by these tires. They are awesome. Probably one of the best upgrades/purchases I've made on a bike in a while.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I always tell customers that the "ride quality" :roll: of a frame is trumped by good tires. I can take a frame made from the bumper of a Pakistani cab welded by a dude with no thumbs and slap a pair of 24mm Paves and it'll ride better than a C50 with Gatorskins on it. Veloflexs, 320 Vittorias, Gomitalias, and Challenges are all very nice skins.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

+1 here.

i've been riding veloflex corsa 22 + latex tubes for ~ 4 months = best tire/tube combo

compared to:
* conti supersonic
* vredestein fortezza tricomp
* michelin pro3

imho

Cheers!

by Cheers!

STARNUT wrote:I always tell customers that the "ride quality" :roll: of a frame is trumped by good tires. I can take a frame made from the bumper of a Pakistani cab welded by a dude with no thumbs and slap a pair of 24mm Paves and it'll ride better than a C50 with Gatorskins on it. Veloflexs, 320 Vittorias, Gomitalias, and Challenges are all very nice skins.

Starnut

what are "Gomitalias"?

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I spelled it wrong, Gommitalia.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Cheers! wrote:
STARNUT wrote:I always tell customers that the "ride quality" :roll: of a frame is trumped by good tires. I can take a frame made from the bumper of a Pakistani cab welded by a dude with no thumbs and slap a pair of 24mm Paves and it'll ride better than a C50 with Gatorskins on it. Veloflexs, 320 Vittorias, Gomitalias, and Challenges are all very nice skins.

Starnut

what are "Gomitalias"?

Supposedly Gommitalias are tyres very similar to the Veloflex. Years ago they were made in the very same factory in Italy as Veloflex once Vittoria took their production to Asia. That's what I heard about the whole thing.

Someone feel free to correct me if any of this info is wrong.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

micky

by micky

I donno about past, but in the last years Veloflex has its own factory working also for at least 1 other brand., while Gommitalia/Vittoria should be one company.
Sorry for OT.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

J-Nice wrote:
Cheers! wrote:

Starnut

what are "Gomitalias"?

Supposedly Gommitalias are tyres very similar to the Veloflex. Years ago they were made in the very same factory in Italy as Veloflex once Vittoria took their production to Asia. That's what I heard about the whole thing.

Someone feel free to correct me if any of this info is wrong.

Gommitalia are still made by Veloflex as are a raft of others.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dare I ask, how do you find the puncture protection...?

Or too soon to say?

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Too soon to say...

I'll give everyone an update in about a month's time. I will be commuting with these tires. Albeit from Farm country into the suburbs. Not quite dodging taxi cabs and broken beer bottles in New York City... But it should be a good indication of durability over broken chip tarred roads and sharp gravel rocks.

So far I'm really loving these tires. It is like riding on a high volume mountain bike tire at low pressure.

Oh ya... the latex tubes like to leak air slowly over night... I may have to keep a spare bike pump at the office.

LouisN

by LouisN

Starnut

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It shure helps to make my all alu frame (Cyfac Proxydium) ride the most comfy one. Even 3 hours + rides. :thumbup:

I put around 1300-1400 km's on my set (Michelin A1 Butyl tube rear-Michelin aircomp ultralight front tube, inflated 125-130 PSI rear, 125 PSI front). They are awesome in all riding qualities: - comfort, performance, no big tears or holes yet (luck?), very sticky on corners even at high speeds, I have still threads for another 700 + km's before switching the tires...

No bad luck yet, I had two flats, one in a crit, one lap after hitting a HUGE pothole, and one last saturday, after I "forgot" my bike in the backyard with 125 lbs in the tires, with the sun...BOOM :oops: !!!

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

STARNUT wrote:I can take a frame made from the bumper of a Pakistani cab welded by a dude with no thumbs and slap a pair of 24mm Paves and it'll ride better than a C50 with Gatorskins on it.

Yeah but then again a 2x4 with Paves would probably ride better than a C50. Oh no, lookout - hey who threw that? :lol:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"