Howdy from Central California!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

twowheelnut

by twowheelnut

Just recently fell back in love with cycling and climbed back onto my 25 year-old Schwinn Peloton. A riding buddy has been pouring poison into my ear about upgrading to a modern bike and how much faster it would make me. Not convinced of that yet, but it would be nice to have a lighter bike to ride for those times when speed is a concern, and keep my faithful steed for training and touring. It will also fit my wife in case she decides to join me for some rides (I'll ride my Cimarron MTB so she can keep up).

Only being able to afford research and empty shopping, I found this place and appreciate all the info so far. I'll keep reading, riding, and longing for that elusive next bike!

Thank you for letting me sign up! See you out on the road (as you all pass me)....

micky

by micky

Welcome in the forum!
For sure you'll find plenty of info in here.

Any idea yet on what is tempting you as a new ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

twowheelnut

by twowheelnut

micky wrote:Welcome in the forum!
Thanks!

Any idea yet on what is tempting you as a new ride?
Well, the aforementioned riding buddy has found me a carbon Fondriest frame. Not sure exactly what it is, but he says it's a nice bike for me, and I respect his opinion. The price was right, but it's going to be a while before I can build it up, saving my extra pocket change along the way. Hopefully, he won't come up with more deals too good to pass up on components. It's hard to justify a new bike to SWMBO when I already have three (one road, one mountain, and one freeway (motorcycle)). The only consolation is that my road bike will fit her in case she should start getting the bug to ride. I'm hopelessly optimistic.

twowheelnut

by twowheelnut

Juanmoretime wrote:Another welcome! :welcome: Every weight weenie bike starts as a thought!
Thanks! A couple of official "Welcomes" really make a guy feel the spirit of being invited to the party. :thumbup:

PS Search the wanted ads here. Post things you are looking for in the wanted forum. Ebay, Carigslist and other cycling related forums are great sources too. Try to buy from long established members to try to avoid a bad deal or at least better odds of having a good deal.
Thanks for the tip! I'm forced to go low-budget on the new toy, and have the advantage of time to hunt for the best deals. I'll get a pic of my current bike and more info on the new-to-me frame ASAP.

The plan is to keep riding my steel pony and getting in better riding shape through this season, then having an option of a lighter bike for those special occasions when I ride in groups or mass events next year. :D

range
Shop Owner

by range

:welcome:
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Welcome from Central California :welcome:
I'm in Bakersfield :beerchug:

bikeman71

by bikeman71

And I'm in Visalia...this is the best cycling forum that I've found on the web....enjoy the company.....welcome. :beerchug:

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

:welcome:

The more the merrier!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

cmh

by cmh

Juanmoretime wrote:Another welcome! :welcome: Every weight weenie bike starts as a thought!

This is far too true.

twowheelnut

by twowheelnut

Quick update - I have my new bike almost complete and will post up all about it soon! At work right now, so I'll have much more info later this week. Beat my time-line and broke the budget, but now have two bikes to road ride! One for when I'm alone or to loan, and one for trying to keep up with better-equipped riders.

It could be a bit lighter, but it's significantly lighter than my Schwinn, and I could be significantly in better shape than I currently am, so I'll invest in that aspect before upgrading any more hard parts.

This place has been an excellent resource during the project! Thank you!!!

jmilliron

by jmilliron

:thumbup:
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

mr.thi03

by mr.thi03

Welcome on board.... :welcome:

Great place for resources and info...some really great, knowledgeable people...
Enjoy..

Cya on the road...

T

twowheelnut

by twowheelnut

Fondriest Carbon Lex
As pictured, 15.6 lbs. Not completely finished yet, due to a pending change to a Rotor 3D crank, but other than that, pretty much done, until a lighter frame comes along.

It feels pretty quick, but my 1985 Schwinn Peloton is all I have to compare with. I've ridden a lot of other folks down with it locally, and I haven't been caught (yet)....

mr.thi03

by mr.thi03

Very Nice...Like the look :D
:thumbup:

mr.thi03

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice looking bike! But more photos, please!

Too much glare on that one.