Ergonova bar width suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SteveV

by SteveV

I want to try a set of 3T Ergonova bars and am looking for opinions on the correct width due to the flare at the drops. I have been fitted to a 42 c-c bar width which is correct for my shoulders. If I pick an Ergonova 42, the drops will be OK at 42 c-c, but the hoods will be narrow (approx 40 c-c). If I pick a 44 bar, the hoods will be correct at approx 42 c-c, but the drops will be wide at 44. I honestly do spend about 50-50 between the hoods and the drops and I know that many may feel that this is a personal preference. But does anyone have experience with this specific issue? And what did you find once you made your decision? Either way, one of the positions is not going to be 42 any more, so which one should I hold at 42 and which one should I vary? I know that these bars are wildly popular (as are the FSA Omega and Wing Pro Compact which both have a similar issue), so many of you must have had to make this same decision.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I went from the Aluminum FSA RD-250 bars on my R3 at size 44, to the 3T Ergonova's at size 44, and there was no issue with any change in width. At the same time, I also change from DA 7800 to Di2, and the shortened reach of the 3T bars was a perfect compensation for the longer reach of the Di2 shifters compared to the 7800's. I would be more worried about the width and reach at the shifters than in the drops. There is a flare, but its not very noticeable when you're in the drops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

athletic91

by athletic91

Quick question,

is the ergonova pro considered a stiff bar?

im a pretty light rider i consider the bars soft compared to my previous cinelli graphis. Maybe its a psylogical issue

steveymcdubs

by steveymcdubs

I was wondering the same thing. I'm using stock ControlTech carbon bars that came stock on my CAAD9-4 and I find they're super flexy. I've heard wonderful things about the Ergonovas, but haven't heard anything about how stiff they are.

Also, does anyone know where to get them for a decent price? PBK and other online retailers have seemingly been out of stock for months.

shadwell

by shadwell

I have that bar and hadn't even noticed the width flare on the drops so i guess it can't be that big a deal.. i did notice the short reach and had to get a longer stem to compensate though..I am very much a detailed rider and notice the smallest changes normally...

re stiffness on the drops; its flexier on the drop tips (the extension is notably longer here too) than the Deda Newton shallow i had before but not distractingly so... more of a comport flex sort of feel. Wh you pull hard on them a little further forward toward the bend they seem comparbly stiff to the Deda's... so not a noddle but a little flex on the end of the drop...
All in I like them and Wiggle.co.uk have them for stupid cheap right now so its not big deal to experiment.....

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Based on my shoulder width I went with the 44 cm width bar which as noted is 42 cm wide at the point where the hoods would mount. I have not had any issue with the width at any of the control points in use. If you have an existing bike set up that works for you then I would match the width of that bar. I price matched the pro bar at Pricepoint.com but don't recall the exact price.

This shot will give you an idea of the geometry and hoods vs drops.
Attachments
hoods top view.jpg

steveymcdubs

by steveymcdubs

Just wanted to note that PBK just restocked these this morning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SteveV

by SteveV

I ended up going with the 44 and love them. They are without a doubt the most comfortable drops that I have ever ridden.
For those of you looking for stock, I'm not sure what country you are in, but here in the US they can be found at Nashbar, Competitive Cyclist, Universal Cycles, and Bikesomewhere. All claim to have stock.