Locked thread frenzy

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
KH1

by KH1

We don't really need them - but we are all interested in one way or another. And c'mon Frankie...... You gotta admit, this one is the most interesting one that's ever been on here :wink:
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

if i may add something to this debate - it's tough to tell where 'doping' thread starts and where it ends.
for instance, if you submitt info on changes in a team rooster, and they happen to be due to e.g. bio passport issues, is that a doping topic or not? cause no matter what, people (probably including myself.. :roll: )will start to turn such thread into piontless, counter-productive battle on 'arguments' ("he dopes/he dopes not")
i don't run any statistics here, but i suspect 1/3 or 1/2 of info i read on cyclingnews or other sites, at least slightly 'touch' doping issues. so it's pretty hard not to discuss doping on 'chat' type of forum...

...which leads me to a conclusion i really liked WW more before it gotten so huge and mods made the cycle chat room (despite my frequent visits there; that's just human nature i guess). of course there is a strong argument, that ferrari forum members in vast majority probably don't own or even had a chance to ride one, so let them talk about more casual things as well. this is a very generous attitude, but given WW's nature, and, well, quantinty of other bike-realted forums, it's kinda counter-marketing if you follow what i mean.

WW should be IMO mainly about tech stuff, as it was not so long ago. as much as we like our community, and would like to share with everything bike-realted, we don't really need to do it here, cause in the first place i feel it kills this place's uniqeness and the atmosphere that makes us feel so good in here

i know you can't stop progress, or even slow it down, but i fear WW disperses with time, both in quantity and quality of topics. i hope you guys know what you're doing, and have some plan B in case the whole pro-cycling community drowns in $hit and inevitably spawns bad karma 8) over the place
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I suggest a special sticky:

What should we call it, and where would we put it ?

Garbage talk on doping, in the chat section ?

The doping thread, "special chat" edition 2010 ?

:lol: ...

Seriously, I personnally have only good words for the great administration of this forum. But then again, I never had a topic or subject locked personnaly (and, believe me, some of my contribution wasn't always useful... :lol: )

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Thu May 27, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Louis, not to sound harsh, but i really would like to keep this thread on topic. I think you are trying a light hearted approach to it, and in some way it works ;)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

M_b•

by M_b•

KH1... +1

I come here not only to read interesting news and tidbits not only on lightweight bike parts, but also because this is THE forum where one is able to get professional and insider information and stories about all aspects of pro cycling. It's a place where I truly respect the opinions of almost everyone posting and I find the posts (even about doping) interesting in that a lot of times ideas and/or opinions are expressed that I might not have considered prior. Yes, the forum may have started as a way to sell light weight bike parts, but it is now much larger than that.

It seems to me as well that the consistent locking of all threads doping is just yet another example of the "sweeping the problem under the rug" that is now so prevalent in our sport... just my two cents... :noidea:

LouisN

by LouisN

KH1 wrote:Errr - this thread needs to be locked. It is already a Armstrong Fans V Armstrong is a doper thread. Just read between the lines.......
On locking the original thread - Personally I was enjoying reading the debate. It's news, it's cycling and it's not going away in the short term so why lock it? :noidea:
We can all have differing opinions - sometimes passionately - without deleting or locking threads. I suspect there are other mechanisms mods can use to manage content and behaviour.
As to the it's not weight related....... :unbelievable: It was in Cycle Chat - my quick scan of the 1st page shows that easily 50% of the threads have nothing to do with weight. Why aren't they locked? I suspect it's because this is the sub forum where we can all share experiences, stories, humour and news regarding all things cycling :beerchug:

+2,

M_b(dot) +1

Louis :)

JK

by JK

M_b• wrote:I come here not only to read interesting news and tidbits not only on lightweight bike parts, but also because this is THE forum where one is able to get professional and insider information and stories about all aspects of pro cycling. It's a place where I truly respect the opinions of almost everyone posting and I find the posts (even about doping) interesting in that a lot of times ideas and/or opinions are expressed that I might not have considered prior. Yes, the forum may have started as a way to sell light weight bike parts, but it is now much larger than that.

I completely agree.

The pro bike thread just got deleted as a whole, after numerous attempts of the mods to keep it on their narrowminded idea of the topic.

Nice work guys, you are well underway to kill an online cycling community that actually had an identity of its own.

There was a great solution to the number of forum threads growing out of control: One single topic where spotting, speculating and chatting about pro bike stuff was allowed. All of a sudden some mod decides it is against the vision of this site and starts breaking down the perfect solution to keep the rest of the forum under control!

First of all:

Pro bike stuff is the breeding ground of new stuff, that inherently should be light, but strong enough, because it is for pro use. That is why ALL pro stuff is completely relevant to the neverending weightweenie discussion: Where is the balance between 'light' and 'strong'? 'Cheap' is hardly an issue on pro bike stuff, which makes the equasion really simple.

Second:

Since when is chatting an undesireable thing?? Chatting is what an online community is about. Humor is what adds even more colour to it. This forum was full of off topic chat that went nowhere, through lots of interesting information and then back to the topic. All that without any interference! Offcourse, it is completely defendable that recurring 'popular' topics like doping, that envoke the same old, same old of reactions, should have no place here.

Really, to the mod team: Get together, first drink some beers and then discuss if this is the way to go.

'Lighten up!!' - pun intended.

Yellow Shark

by Yellow Shark

I find it kinda childish..

It's like mom and dad decided to limit what to say. There's no point behind it. What do you want reach with this?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I am locking this one (fits the title, I guess). Please continue in the 'moderators' thread as it is more focused on the pro thread issue. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.