Canyon Aeroad CF 2011

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Not really my cup of tea to be honest. Seems be a bit of a mixture between Cervelo and BMC. I find the other Canyons much nicer and def more genuine. Back to the drawing board IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

[quoteJSeems be a bit of a mixture between Cervelo and BMC.[/quote]

Ah -- you're right. That must be why I like it so much...
Last edited by djconnel on Sun May 16, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

With all of the aero road frames out there these days, how did they miss by so much. I am sorry but they did not enter the aero road market with this offering and all they did was make a fairly nice road bike.

I think instead of calling it the Aeroad the should maybe call it the Erroroad.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Roel W wrote:
djconnel wrote:I don't think it's an issue. The quick release clamps onto a fixed portion. The rake adjustment simply positions the quick release. It's no different than an adjustment screw on a horizontal quick release. Sure, there's a bit less area for the quick release to grab onto, but this shouldn't be an issue. Once riding, the screw could vaporize and nothing would happen.

I can be wrong but to me it seems like the whole dropout can be turned 180° and the drop-out is attached to the fork with a single tiny bolt.

No, it's not the whole dropout that turns 180°, but only the J-shaped part inside the red lines shown below.
I guess you also have to swap the left and the right inner part when you turn them 180°, to keep the lawyer tabs on the outer side:

Attachments
Canyon_Aeroad _dropout.jpg

Arky

by Arky

Well, saying it is less stiff that the current line does not mean it is a noodle!

I like it. It took guts to go away from the mainstream and do something unique. They did a good job with the compact rear triangle. I hate the BMC version of this, but this one looks good for some reason.

Murphs

by Murphs

The loss of front end stiffness is the biggest concern to me.

I love the point-and-shoot front end of my Canyon.

BB stiffness is so-so as djconnel said.

I'd buy one, but I wouldn't replace my Ultimate CF with it.

fogman

by fogman

Is Canyon going to start shipping bikes to the USA anytime soon? Last time I tried to order one they said they couldn't ship to the USA.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

BmanX

by BmanX

If they will ship to Canada, have it shipped to my address and I will send it down to you. Might be a bit more expensive but you will get your bike. Crap, if they do that, I will ship to anyone in the US that wants one.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

fogman wrote:Is Canyon going to start shipping bikes to the USA anytime soon? Last time I tried to order one they said they couldn't ship to the USA.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/can ... t-for-2011
Canyon suggests that UK distribution is coming "very soon" – perhaps by year's end – but a US network still doesn't have a set timetable.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm sorry, but it really is absurd that a company such as Canyon can be innovative and big enough to justify adding an aero road bike to their range yet still appear incapable of solving the simple logistical issue of shipping to the US and Australia.

That white one is HOOOOOT! In fact, I like all of Canyon's offerings. But it's for naught as they won't ship here :?

Also, am I alone in thinking the white looks a fair bit like the Archon c1...?

djconnel

by djconnel

Well, there's plenty of sound business reasons to not try to expand distribution range too rapidly. And there's reasons the US might not be an environment in which a company might wish to expand.

Anyway, WRT Archon, here's the Archon:

I think there's substantial differences.

Roel W

by Roel W

Adjustable pads: That's how they did it in the 90's: Gios Torino with adjustable wheelbase

range
Shop Owner

by range

The seatstay is definitely a bit BMC-like. I'll reserve judgment on the stiffness when I ride one.

Not being able to ship to the US and AU is idiotic though.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

kgt

by kgt

Aero or not, this is an ugly bike...

ras11

by ras11

Seems to me the surface area of a lugged 1" steel frame will be much smaller than even the Cervelo S3 and all of these bikes.

One might not be sooo crazy to look at steel bikes for comfort, durability, and aero! Stiffness is for sprinters anyways. If weight is not too big a deal (not too mountainous in your area), than why not?

Look at this pic from the Argos website. Super thin stays and fork blades... and a relative tiny down tube by Cervelo standards.

:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com