Wide fit (23mm) alloy box rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hoping someone can help - I've developed a hankering for a classic Flanders style Abrosio-Nemisis look-alike clincher wheelset with big spoke count, true low-profile box section rim that is also a wide rim - sort of like a 22mm or 23mm wide version of Open Pro rim. Without the benefit of seeing any in the flesh the wide rim options I am aware of (HED C2, Velocity A23, C4 VR-22 etc) have a slight aero shape or V profile rather than the flat profile of the Open Pro. Are there any rims that fit my bill? (by the way I would be really interested in seeing any pictures or drawings of the HED C2 rim section if anyone has any.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

dadoflam08 wrote:Hoping someone can help - I've developed a hankering for a classic Flanders style Abrosio-Nemisis look-alike clincher wheelset with big spoke count, true low-profile box section rim that is also a wide rim - sort of like a 22mm or 23mm wide version of Open Pro rim. Without the benefit of seeing any in the flesh the wide rim options I am aware of (HED C2, Velocity A23, C4 VR-22 etc) have a slight aero shape or V profile rather than the flat profile of the Open Pro. Are there any rims that fit my bill? (by the way I would be really interested in seeing any pictures or drawings of the HED C2 rim section if anyone has any.

Good luck! You're condemning yourself to Ebay searches for MA40's. You only need a 20mm section to match up with Nemesis rims. WIder is a touring rim and you'll struggle to find any lighter than 500-550g.

Why not just get some Nemesis rimmed wheels?

mattr

by mattr

How does ambrosios clincher version of the nemesis look? From what i can recall it looks shallower than Open Pro (but not quite as shallow as the Nemesis)

(No, i can't remember the name!)

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

Ambrosio clincher drawings are here:
http://ambrosio.co.uk/ambrosio_rims_clincher.htm

Velocity Synergy at 23mm wide and 18mm deep meets your stated requirements, and is about as low profile as box section rims get. There are some single wall rims with slightly lower profile, but they are not worth considering for a proper bike.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

You might not like the look for aesthetic reasons, but the A23 is a shallow rim.

AxelBrawn

by AxelBrawn

Firstly, I apologies if this has been a past topic, I've done a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for - please point me in the right direction if this is a duplicate thread.

I'm building up some lightweight training/racing clinchers & looking for a wide, but low profile rim & box section rim.

Mavic Open Pros are too narrow @ 19.6mm - but perfect shape
HED C2 Belgium’s are wide but too tall and cone shape
Velocity A23s are wide but have a cone shape rather than box

Are there any others out there I don't know about?

My reasons for wanting a box rim are mainly do to the look, which is a little vain I know, but when you are building up you own wheels I guess you can choose the ones you want...

Thanks in advance

AxelBrawn

by AxelBrawn

tobyinsydney wrote:http://hplusson.com/products/TB14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a picture in my head of the perfect rim for this build and they are exactly it!

Much appreicated

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Also check out the Pacenti PL23. Think they are lighter than the TB14.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

TB14 is an excellent rim I have used a few of them now and they are very round and very easy to build with. Not the stiffest rim either so use a hub with dimensions similar to a ultegra hub and sapim race spokes for a good build. They look fab and I will be using them with my 7403 hubs on my next classic build.

gummee

by gummee

If you can find them (and want to pay the $$) the Campag Omega XL clincher rim fits your bill.

Slightly wider and slightly lighter (IIRC) than an MA40.

Personally? Wider rims are just that: wider. They don't automagically transform the bike. IOW they still feel like wheels.

M

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I've just ordered a pair of the TB-14s to try, will probably be building them on my silver Record hubs. They certainly look good - downside is reported real weight is 500g+ which is pretty porky. For everything but aesthetics (which I chose the TB14s for) the Archetype is probably a better buy. Indeed I just built a set of those as race wheels.
Last edited by MajorMantra on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Just built up a set of TB-14 in the hard anodized finish on silver Miche hubs with silver Sapim Race spokes and gold alloy nipples. Decided to try my hand and tying and soldering the NDS to improve the stiffness. They turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself:) And they do look a lot my my Nemesis pair when on the bike.

Don't have the numbers right in front of me, but I believe rims were 507 and 510g each.

ergott

by ergott

Just in case anyone else is looking for a similar rim, the DT TK 540 is another option. Looks like a bigger Open Pro and the quality is excellent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

ergott, oh, very interesting, and about half the price of the PL23 here!