Colnago Regal: A Rare Vintage

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

We've just unwrapped a family heirloom. These pictures are of our Colnago Regal which we had built in Italy during my racing days circa 1987. This beauty was ridden for about a summer in the late 1980's then put in storage for over 20 years. I asked my father to de-mummify the ol'girl. She looks better than ever! She'll need new tires, cables, pads, perhaps a seat and some grease and tuning--but my guess is she'll climb the Alps just as well as ever! Can't wait to get her back out on the road where she belongs :thumbup:

Was hoping to find out more information about the Regal. Back then, we just got on and rode hard--we didn't have nearly as much interest in gear as we do now. But seeing this amazing machine again makes me realize just how lucky we were to have guys like Ernesto Colnago creating these works of art for us.

Any information you can provide about these rare classics would be welcome! :)
Last edited by DucatiRacer on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Training Days: Colnago Cristallo
Mountain Days: Colnago AMOREps
Off Days: Ducati 600SS and Bimota DB1
Track Days: Honda CBR1000RR
Yesterday: Colnago Regal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rustychain

by rustychain

:thumbup: Oh so SWEEEET :thumbup:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Whatever you do don't sell that baby...

Doolop

by Doolop

Strip it, put Di2 on it. Win the game.

Montana

by Montana

Good Stuff :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Contact Colnago with some pic's, they might be willing and able to shed some light on it.

Looks in amazing condition.

range
Shop Owner

by range

I agree, nice lugs.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

giant man

by giant man

A vintage bike owner's dream! Would love to see this restored to it's former glory and as you say, ridden. Wonderful stuff .....

Irish

by Irish

Very Rare, a mixture of the "Gilco" shaped tubes from the "Master" frame and the lugs from the "Arabesque" frame afair. The best design aspects from each frame,sweet. :thumbup:

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

Thank you--a rare gem indeed. We have no intention of selling, but every intention of riding.

Great idea regarding contacting Colnago directly! Specs, data, history and other info regarding the Regal are indeed hard to come by. Any other Regal owners out there?

I'm in contact with a master Colnago mechanic in Cattolica, Italy. An old riding friend of mine over there (and cycling appasionato) will oversee the restoration. Nothing major needed, seems the frame is spotless and the drivetrain has virtually no wear...new tires, pads, cables, tape, a little grease and some tuning should do it. Perhaps a ridable seat :lol: We will of course, keep all the original bits, maintaining integrity and history.
Training Days: Colnago Cristallo
Mountain Days: Colnago AMOREps
Off Days: Ducati 600SS and Bimota DB1
Track Days: Honda CBR1000RR
Yesterday: Colnago Regal

ttrebess

by ttrebess

Hello to everybody,

a few months ago I bought a bike which I first identified as a Colnago ESAMEXICO but in fact it is a Colnago Regal. I just wanted to post a few pictures here and listen to what you guys have to say to this one. It is not as pretty as the one DucatiRacers mother rode back in the 1980ies but I think it also is a beauty. It is competely equipped with Dura Ace parts.

The decals were not very nice anymore, does anybody out here know where I can get a new set of these?

Hope you enjoy the pics... At the moment I can not take better ones because I have already removed the old decals when cleaning the bike. The pictures were taken by the former owner...

Greetings from Berlin
Attachments
Colnago Regal 1 komprimiert.jpg
Colnago Regal 2.JPG
Colnago Regal 3 komprimiert.jpg
Colnago Regal 4 komprimiert.jpg

Privateer

by Privateer

You might have more luck over at retrobike.com.

They're not as generous towards modern bikes as we are to the retro beauties (many of them refer to carbon as "plastic"), but if you don't mention that you have a foot in both camps they'll likely play nice and have a great deal of expertise on older Colnagos to tap into.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

just beautiful!
those were the days where lugs were a work of art.
you don't see such lugs anymore, definitely not on the current Colnago Master or other Italian builders that i can think of.

btw fellow Moderators, how about moving this thread to the Gallery/Intro?

cheers!

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Privateer wrote:You might have more luck over at retrobike.com.

They're not as generous towards modern bikes as we are to the retro beauties (many of them refer to carbon as "plastic"), but if you don't mention that you have a foot in both camps they'll likely play nice and have a great deal of expertise on older Colnagos to tap into.

Don't go there! These old bags have no sense about modern technology and might even convince you to replace the tyres with tanwalls!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com