Neo Exile

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Musiker

by Musiker

Just found a bit of info about speed wobbles:
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/qanda/ ... 4776/?mp=0
After reading this I am not so worried about the flex anymore.. Even though it seems a bit flexy in the toptube..

I noticed some play in my brand new back wheel (Halo Mercury) - Ill get that fixed and most likely buy a new fork aswell. Then out and test it at top speed again, hehe!.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I compared the feeling when wiggling the bars on my Neo and on my friend's Cervelo Soloist (carbon) today and the Soloist is about the same and as I said before the frame feels stiff enough when riding. With Cosmic Carbones the bike certainly feels stiff enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Musiker

by Musiker

Thanks! Im not that worried anymore. Seems like everything is good.. I just have to get a new fork and get the play in my rear wheel fixed..
Then test it out at higher speeds..
/Henrik

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Peter_E wrote:I compared the feeling when wiggling the bars on my Neo and on my friend's Cervelo Soloist (carbon) today and the Soloist is about the same and as I said before the frame feels stiff enough when riding. With Cosmic Carbones the bike certainly feels stiff enough.

But then the Soloist is notoriously flexy in the headtube, so that doesn't say much. That said, nice bike you have got.

Musiker

by Musiker

Just got a deal for a complete set of Zipp 202's from 2008.. Could not help buying them.. Weight now a clean 6.50kg :) - With two bottle cages. Speedplay pedals, Polar Cadence and speed sensor.. Im happy... But gonna live a bit longer with the current fork...
Sorry for the crap photo.. Will get a better one posted...
DSC_0001 (Large).JPG

Karbon_Pol

by Karbon_Pol

Finally! Next stealth Neo.
*It's mine: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59300&start=15

Musiker

by Musiker

Just a minor status update.
Been riding my neo almost exclusivly with the Zipp wheels this whole summer and with those it behaves ok when riding downhill (Did 70km/t no problme down Mount Ventoux), but I still do not like the flexy headtube area. It feels too woobly for my liking. So I think I will spend cash on a better frame. Parlee Z4 is on the top of the list as of now, but well see Im not in a hurry.. Won't need it until spring...

micky

by micky

Not considering trying another fork?

Musiker

by Musiker

micky wrote:Not considering trying another fork?

Yeah I have considered getting a EDGE 2.0 fork, but I don't want to trow money at this frame unless I am sure that it will fix the problem. I see some flex from the headtube when I jerk in the handlebar. Which lead me to believe that the headtube flex still will be a problem even with a much stiffer fork (Which the neo would benefit from).
So I am leaning towards buying a top of the line frame in order to get "sure thing" quality and the right to complain over minor details. Its hard to complain about the Neo's qualities when you bear the price in mind.. I would have no trouble complaining over minor issues if it was a Parlee, Cervelo or other expensive frame. Frames from these companies I would expect to be perfect in performance and finish!

/Henrik

Musiker

by Musiker

Weeh! New frame on the way to replace this Neo Exile .. Found a nice offer on a brand new Parlee Z5 - Most everything will be moved from the Neo to the Z5 - Will post more when I start building it...
Only left to figure out what I should do with the Neo frame?
- Should I use it to replace the old Alu frame on my Winter bike?
- Sell it?
- Leave it in the closet until it rots?

Musiker

by Musiker

Neo is now stripped and setup are used to build a bike in a whole other ballpark:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77461

I simply concluded that I would never be happy with the Neo - Even with Zipp 202 wheels the handling sucked.. Could a new fork have helped? Maybe, but I would not feel secure riding it..

/Henrik

lds1973

by lds1973

Peter_E wrote:Nice build but do you need to have the stem that way? You should definitely get an expander for the fork steerer (will add ca 40g).

When you say expander do you mean something that will add height to fork steerer or the bit that expands inside the steered tube to clamp the stem to?

Its just that I cant see how reversing the stem and fitting an expander will leave the bars the height they are, I am interested as I could do with a little extra height on my bars but dont want that look with the reversed stem.

Cheers

Lee