LOOK Blade Carbon Ti bearing play anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

HMM, i run the keo hm ti's and wondered whether my left pedal was loose, there is a bit of play when I pedal on the upstroke, the cleat/pedal kind of wiggles like it is a little loose, i thought it was a worn-down cleat but the cleat doesn't look to be too worn, so maybe this is it?

how can i tell? what can i do to test this type of play?
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

It's a tiny amount of play in my case (i'll be road race training tonight on these very pedals as I don't notice it and it's been like this since new anyway). Someone quoted 1-2mm play but I would say mine's only 0.25mm maybe even less. Easy way to test is just apply pressure with your hand as if you are try to snap the pedal off the crank arm using up and down, left and right force and you should feel some play.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

relanium

by relanium

Ive just sent mine back to the shop were I purchased them from because the pedals were Rattling very noisly when out cycling, especially over rough roads.
My local bike shop also commented that there was some movement in both Axles on each pedal, which might have resulted to the rattling in the pedals.

I contacted the bike shop where I purchased the pedals from, and they told me to send them back & they will give the pedals a look over & service them to see if they can find the problem.

mechanism

by mechanism

Yep I have some side to side play in the left pedal which is brand spanking new. Play of about 0.25mm as stated above. Strange thing is the right drive side pedal is rock solid.

Is there a reason for this play? It doesn't feel any different while on the bike but it does bother me if Look is making a highly priced product with flaws, or as someone above asked is it designed into the pedal for a certain reason>?

spartan

by spartan

reviving this thread. i have noticed slight play on the left pedal ~1mm. right is rock solid.

is there any fix for this problem or is it harmless ?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

shadwell

by shadwell

I cracked mine open, whacked in some Penrite Axle Bearing Grease, and noticed the play was taken up and the pedal would not swing down under its own (small) mass....basically the thickness of th egrease held the pedal in position....

After a few rides the play returned to a lesser degree and the pedal found its dropped position fine... It seems likely the grease had worked its way partially out of the needle bearing and into the internals of pedal body (betwene the needle and radial bearings onthe axle). Still better than before.

It has not gotten worse over about 4000kms so far...

Seems the loose roller bearings on the axle tip exhibit play as they "part" around the axle (i.e. they are not caged...). The metal bearing face pressed into the dedal body was in place in tact and all good...

It does not appear to impact performance in any way.

Note there was close to bugger all grease in there from the factory... so not a bad idea to do this especially if you live in wetter climates... may add 10gms though !!!!

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

maxima wrote:All of Look pedals have small amount of play. You can even pull the pedal side ways ! :lol:

This is the case since 1st generation of KEO came out several years back. I'[ve the latest BLADE as well...........same issue.

Curious. My keo's with a production date of November, 2004 are, and always have been, rock solid with zero play.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

spartan wrote:reviving this thread. i have noticed slight play on the left pedal ~1mm. right is rock solid.

is there any fix for this problem or is it harmless ?

Take the pedal off your bike and make sure the plastic "shield" that holds the bearings and axle that screws into the pedal body is tight. If it becomes loose you'll experience some play. Tighten it up and the play should go away.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

IcedHalo

by IcedHalo

Just reviving this thread.

I bought these recently and have done about 100km on them. The right pedal has started to develop a bit of play in the axle.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with Look regarding warranty work/replacement, or if this is an acceptable idiosyncrasy of these pedals?

Anyone else have similar problems and found a fix?

Cheers

rustychain

by rustychain

No issue with play in my Blades at all. Bearings are very smooth. I owned two sets of Keo carbons and at least in my case the Blades are much better. B
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

IcedHalo

by IcedHalo

Update:

The play hasn't progressed, doesn't seem to impact on riding at all. Left side (non-drive side) is still solid.

Didn't really get anywhere with Look or with the online retailer whom I purchased them from.

Nevertheless, they are good pedals offering a solid platform for maximum power transfer. Light, and the carbon blade is still solid (I have red = 16Nm blades).

rikdewy

by rikdewy

Triple revival of topic, but I thought I'd get an update from people since they would have used their pedals a fair bit by now. I've just put on some Keo Blades on a new build and was shocked to find considerable play on one and small amount on the other pedal. WTF? The 'bad' pedal would surely rattle over bad bumps.

Tightening the plastic retaining nut evened up the play, but its still disconcerting. They're bloody brand new FFS!

As Saeco has mentioned, tightening this nut on my old Keo Carbons used to eliminate play but not so with the Blades. I took the nuts to just short of stripping to no avail, so don't over tighten this nut, it will strip easily and it won't help much anyway.

Has anyone tried bearing retaining compound? I've never used the stuff but heard it can take up some slack?
Also, would it be needed to seat the bearing inside the pedal body or the spindle inside this bearing (or both)? This seems to be the problem area. Anyone ever got this bearing out successfully??
It's all about the bike! well nearly all.

Pantani

by Pantani

Every single Look pedal including multiple Keos I've owned has bearing play. However, I've never been able to feel it on the bike. In reality, there's so much vertical and axial movement in a pedal stroke, I'm not sure a few thou's movement between the pedal spindle and body is of material difference. Maybe the qualified engineers here can answer that objectively?
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

rikdewy

by rikdewy

Well I'm glad to hear that Pantani, the movement isn't what worries me. When my Keo Carbons were loose they would tick and creak, used to drive me bananas.

So I gather that even though the Blades are loose they don't make any noise?
It's all about the bike! well nearly all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com