Lynskey R420

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Thanks, I am loving the look of the frame. Earlier this morning I took some pictures of it because this damned weather is forcing me inside. I realized that I haven't done a shot of the current setup in a while. I was about to post it in the Post your bikes here thread but Frankie got to it first.

I had a slight problem with my zipp bars hence the temp ritchey bars. Should hopefully have those bars back soon..These HED wheels are heavy, 1841g with tape. I also have a set of Campagnolo Zonda's that at the moment are reserved for roller use.

As pictured the bike weighs 7.48kg. Will lose some once my zipp bars get back, and then later this year I'll buy a nice light wheelset and begin work on getting this thing down to 6.

Oh did i mention that i hate snow? Well if it snows on Christmas Eve and Christmas day i do not mind, any other time of the year I'm no fan.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Those wheels make any bike look so damn fly!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Szczuldo that's an excellent shot there mate! The frost on the ti is really cool.

Got a bigger res? Would look great as my desktop pic!

And those wheels suit it incredibly well!

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

well it was cold and snowy. I made the mistake of going outside with sandals then quickly found out the snow was 6 inches deep back there.

Personally, I'd rather the valve stems be hidden by the fork and seat stays, but the snow was messing with my head. On the crank note, everyone knows that parallel to the downtube makes for a more pleasing picture. Otherwise the line from the downtube splits up too many ways and you'll lose yourself in the confusion that is caused!

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

So I feel stuck. I can't decide what more I can do to shed weight off this thing.

My ideas so far are bolt kits for derailleurs and stem, the btp carbon shifter clamps and chop excess off the seat post. An obvious choice would be to get a Vumaquad, but I don't have that kind of money..at the moment at least. My goal is to be under 15lbs with these wheels. I can get the btp bottle cages, basically 40g right there, but these just work so well.

Thrillho

by Thrillho

I think it is perfect the way it is. But if you must shed weight, try a new frame.
Speedvagen Road
Stoemper SSCX disc
Ira Ryan XCR DI2
Parlee TT
Moots Mooto-X RSL SS
Richard Sachs Cyclocross
Scott Spark 29er

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

well then it'll basically be a whole new bike so it won't be the same as shedding weight from this one.

KWalker

by KWalker

I know you said you want to keep the wheels, but I'd get in on that cheap carbon wheel group buy.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

oh i'm in on that, don't you worry. But these are the wheels I ride most days. I have a set of Campagnolo Zonda's which are in the 1300g range but they just don't feel as nice. Mostly due to the Gatorskins that are on there compared to the vittorias on the heds.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

That's a whole lotta wheel to be riding everyday. Carbon clinchers are a rolling contradiction. You can build alloy 32h tubs (velocity escape or ambrosio corsa rims) down to low 1400g. Including the weight saved on tyres vs. clinchers (~150g) you could save around 500-600g vs. the HEDs, and end up infront in dollar terms.

They look like very deep wheels to be riding for road racing. If you are TTing, get a TT bike. If you are financially constrained, why race on carbon wheels? If you want light, why have clinchers?

If it were me, I would:
1. Sell wheels
2. Get alloy clinchers for training (1700-1800g build or stick some 25 or 27c tyres on the zondas, or get Neutrons if you care about weight for training)
3. Build (or buy complete) 1400g-ish tubbies for race day. (Say, record hubs to ambrosio corsa or velocity escape rims. Comp spokes rear, revolution front, or aerolite/CX-ray if you want to spend a little more)

IMO unless you are a tough-as-hell breakaway rider at a pretty high level of racing, aero benefits of deep section wheels are pretty minimal. Most riders spend 90% of the time sucking wheels in a pack. Most riders ride more crits than anything, in which case light beats aero even more.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Agreed that it's great the way it is.

TD makes an interesting point on the wheels. But it ain't my wallpaper just for the frame.