"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

euan

by euan

I find renaming cyclists pretty childish. See what they do on the Cyclingnews forums. Bullying if you don't call them by the accepted forum name.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NS

by NS

You can call Cavendish a cock as much as you like, I used to attempt to race against him at the Manchester Track Leagues, and used to see him in my LBS and he's OK off the bike if a little cocky even back then when he was on it.

But

He's the guy earning hundreds of thousands of Euros a year, driving an Audi R8, shagging Miss Italy and winning tour stages and monuments so I'm pretty sure he doesnt give a flying f*ck what any keyboard warriors have to say about him. So continue

bartali

by bartali

Whether he is rich, or successful or made the 2009 TdF exciting is hardly the point. IMO his behaviour is not acceptable. Would we encourge our kids to be boorish? Do we aspire to behave like that? Do other successful sportsmen find it necessary to behave like that? The answer is no.

His undoubted bike riding abilities and the lack of respect he shows towards others are two entirely different things ... and I'm stunned that some of the clearly intellegent people on this forum don't seem able to appreciate it ... or maybe I misunderstand.

Yes let's celebrate him as a sprinter. But when he behaves like a boor lets call it for what it is!

paddy

by paddy

hello mods? can you step in here and sort this out please? you need to return this thread to bikeradar. :P
Bikes:

Look 585 2008, Campag Record 2008, Campag Shamal
Enigma titanium Esprit 2009, Campag Chorus / Record mix 2007, Campag Zonda
Kinesis Alu Racelight T 2009, Campag Centaur 2006, Ambrosio Excellight 28/32 handbuilts

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'd say equating someones personal opinion to their intelligence level boarders on behaviour close to that just displayed by cavendish.

Slippery slope to go down.

euan

by euan

With regards to bad examples I think there are other more important things than Cavendish's lack of tact to sort out in this sport.

devinci

by devinci

ok end of the cavendish topic.

you guys picks for this week end paris roubaix??

mine:

Boonen
Breschel
Pozzato

hopefully Breschel does good

andyhunter

by andyhunter

i would like george hincapie win it as his form is currently good if you look at all the races he has entered 2010 thats if he gets to ride it, no idea what the start list is :(

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

bartali wrote:Whether he is rich, or successful or made the 2009 TdF exciting is hardly the point. IMO his behaviour is not acceptable. Would we encourge our kids to be boorish? Do we aspire to behave like that? Do other successful sportsmen find it necessary to behave like that? The answer is no.

His undoubted bike riding abilities and the lack of respect he shows towards others are two entirely different things ... and I'm stunned that some of the clearly intellegent people on this forum don't seem able to appreciate it ... or maybe I misunderstand.

Yes let's celebrate him as a sprinter. But when he behaves like a boor lets call it for what it is!

Sports figures are not roll models. Ever.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

devinci wrote:ok end of the cavendish topic.

you guys picks for this week end paris roubaix??

mine:

Boonen
Breschel
Pozzato

hopefully Breschel does good

Boonen
Cancellara
Flecha/Breschel
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Carbon_Cowboy

by Carbon_Cowboy

1) Boonen
2) Cancellara st.
3) Farrar @ 3:40

paddy

by paddy

the same guys on form at flanders, except roubaix has a bit more of a 'lottery' element to it. any one from the following could win it: boonen, cancella, breschel, gilbert, flecha and hincapie.

outside bet: david millar - did very well at flanders, but got his feeding messed up and bonked badly towards the end. if he can keep his form 'til next weekend and make sure to take enough on board, who knows...
Bikes:

Look 585 2008, Campag Record 2008, Campag Shamal
Enigma titanium Esprit 2009, Campag Chorus / Record mix 2007, Campag Zonda
Kinesis Alu Racelight T 2009, Campag Centaur 2006, Ambrosio Excellight 28/32 handbuilts

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

2002SaecoReplica wrote:Sports figures are not roll models. Ever.

Jens Voigt?
David Zabriskie?
Rahsaan Bahati?

Those are three that have continually shown to be great role models, strong work ethic, providers to the community at large, and have fantastic sportsmanship.
and that's just off the top of my head, and only drawing from cycling.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

This is a far-off and only half-assed prediction, but:

Winner is Breschel.
Second Chavanel.
Third Cancellara, who worked for Breschel. Chavanel out sprints Cancellara for second.

Boonen won't make podium, which will be a huge shock to everyone. Possibly mechanical issue or gets caught behind a crash then can't get back on. Or he misses a break and gets stuck behind a train crossing the route.

Pozzato will just follow Boonen. Hincapie won't win it, even though we've all been hyped to think he is a cobbled classics man through years of continual marketing of the idea... (his results have simply not been there). Nice guy though, I enjoyed watching his documentary and think he's great. He was friendly when I met him at a party in Vegas at the last Interbike, but this PR will remain elusive.

Of course, I expect this prediction to be incorrect and really just hope to see a fantastic race on Sunday!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

NS

by NS

Id like to think Hammond can sneak a top 5 reckon Boom might be up there too.

Boonen, Cancellara, Hoste

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com