brakes to get

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rustychain

by rustychain

Shamless plug. I am selling my beloved M5 brakes and will part with them cheap to a good home. Xtra ZG brake pad holders too. Madcow reviews them over at Fairwheel in his best brakes review
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Go for the KCNC C7...almost the same weight as the CB1 but much more stiff. The C6 is the same design but heavier at around 210 grams....and on one of the posts above, KCNC is not the same as Token.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eigner

by eigner

SL58 wrote:I am happy with Token Accura (same as KCNC) - 200g for around $200,
all Ti harware, working fine for more than 2 years, 1/2 the price
and pain of Zero Grav. and Shimano pad compatable.

Token Accura are NOT the same as KCNC CB1.. My KCNC CB1 brakes weigh 153g including pads!
Token Accura are the same as a bunch of generic "CNC brakes", like the Planet-x brakes.

To OP: I can only recommend the KCNC CB1. They do what they are suppoesed to and weigh incredible little. Make sure to use proper brakepads, like swissstop.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

I really like the TRP R920 brakes. I was just admiring them the other day. After the rim and the pads "bedded in", the stopping power is awesome. They almost felt like cable pull disc brakes...on alloy rims in dry weather.

V.

eigner

by eigner

I still think the CB1 is awesome :mrgreen:

145g with pads!
Attachments
010420101177 (Large).jpg
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

The KCNC CB1 is probably the best bang-for-your-buck brake set...I'm sure other shops/distributors can chime in with similar feedback. Jason from FWB did a very good review of different brakes and the CB1 is a great all around brak: Excellent weight, good braking power, very good price, etc. It balance a lot of attributes very well. Now, the new C6 & C7 take the CB1 performance to a whole new level. The C7 is practically the same weight as the CB1 but uses a whole new design that eliminates flex and improves braking power. C6 is the same design but uses a different type of alloy and SS hardware to drop the price but weight goes up at around 210 grams per set. Price for the C7 went up very little and they still come in all the colors. C6 come int he same colors + Blue and green and no carbon pads. Besides KCNC other good brakes that fall in this category are the EE and the TRP (depending on model).

CharlesM

by CharlesM

We have different games going...

Price weight and stopping power...

EE, Negative GSL, M5 are all significantly stronger braking than KCNC and standard Zero G...

KCNC are a great price point and work well (I have no problem with KCNC or Zero G, in fact I like em both) but some might not find them acceptable. Ciamilo lowered all of their pricing, so some might look hader and standard Negative G.

TRP 960 stop with strength competitive to EE, Negative G and Better than KCNC/standard Zero G and cost some place in the middle but add weight...

The THM stop well but I don't think as well as EE and the cost is what most would consider high. Gravitas stop very well too and cost less than THM but more than most others.

Performance and weight are fixed with these brakes. The performance range goes from acceptable to great.

Value is a personal thing and I'm not knowledgable enough to claim a bang for the buck winner when performance is a lot different through the variable models.

buikpijn

by buikpijn

In contradiction to the stated CNC label that KCNC puts on their brakes, judging the photo's i've seen so far, they appear to be moulded instead of being CNC machined as advertised. (allthough some parts will be CNC machined, but the largest part isn't)

The rough surface is either from the cheap moulding process or a sandblasting process. and to be honest, i don't believe they are sandblasted. there are several grades of moulding, and this rough surface isn't the most expensive one. Tumbling would give an different finish..

I am a bit worried about the overall quality of these brakes, considering their relative cheap mass-production method.

Their weight is awesome, but i read several posters reporting noticeable less stopping power. (even with different pads)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I've got some of the new generation of EE brakes, they are by far the best stopppers I've used but are indeed pricey.

The issue I have with the KCNC brakes is the new logo! :shock:
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I'm looking at breaking up my DA7900 group on a bike that should be back from paint soon. The thought is to use a Rotor 3D crankset and I'm trying to decide between the TRP 970SL calipers and the EE brakes. I ride carbon wheels and use cork pads, so the brake has to have plenty of gumption on it's own, I'm not going to use Yellow King pads to compensate and then deal with melting pads and the inevitable grabbiness... Which would you choose? I love 7900 brakes, but think it wouldn't hurt to build one bike up differently if I can do it without risking life and limb...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

Geoff

by Geoff

I still prefer the Shimano or Campagnolo calipers...

rustychain

by rustychain

Lance, I have been using the EE brakes on both Edge and Bora carbon wheels with Zipps tangent cork brake pads............. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Make sure you get the new version EE brakes as they have been altered to perform better with the DA brake levers
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

buikpijn....do you based this on photos, other peoples opinions or have you taken a closer look at the brakes? We have C6 and C7 on stock and just took a look at the machine work on the brake arms and you can clearly see the marks typical of CNC machining. The surface finish is definetly a treatment KCNC is doing with its new brakes.

Of all the KCNC part available the CB1 has performed flawlessly so far and we expect the C6 & C7 to follow the same route as they addresses the flexing problem of the CB1 that some people are not going to deal with.

buikpijn

by buikpijn

As stated, by looking at several pictures; I've seen different finishes for sure, never touched one in person. Different finishes, going from from smooth to rough. Like the red ones on the scale earlier in this thread, who remind me of cheap chinese molded parts. Perhaps there are knock-offs available, since China is the uncrowned king of copies. (not considered a compliment : )

CharlesM

by CharlesM

buikpijn wrote:In contradiction to the stated CNC label that KCNC puts on their brakes, judging the photo's i've seen so far, they appear to be moulded instead of being CNC machined as advertised. (allthough some parts will be CNC machined, but the largest part isn't)

The rough surface is either from the cheap moulding process or a sandblasting process. and to be honest, i don't believe they are sandblasted. there are several grades of moulding, and this rough surface isn't the most expensive one. Tumbling would give an different finish..

I am a bit worried about the overall quality of these brakes, considering their relative cheap mass-production method.

Their weight is awesome, but i read several posters reporting noticeable less stopping power. (even with different pads)

I think you're winging it a little and should see the product first.

There's a big dif in picture quality and making judgement that way might be off...

Things look different at different angles, distance and light...

But then they can also look different just by turning round things

Then there's the whole understanding of different manufacturing process... and that things can be cast or forged or MIM and then machined... And or machined fully from billet and then money spent in surface blasting (and I think these are bead/ meadia, not your choice of sand) or other after finish steps, none of which are cheaper than not taking that step.

We would also need to ignore the brake material is wrought 7075 T7 Alu... That's a material more likely used AS a mold than cheaply injected into one.

Either way "cheap chinese molded" isn't something I would toss out given that there's no noted cases of part failure floating round despite long term, wide spread use. Frankly that's a phrase loaded with insinuation versus information.

Not meaning to be harsh and I already posted that I don't think the KCNC should be considered everyone's first choice, but I just think you're winging it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com