I wuz bored so I built this...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Chirobike

by Chirobike

This is what too much time and not enough riding can do.
EDIT- Photos too large - CC
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Udu-1IjbBNE/S ... MG0737.JPG

My take on Hincapie's bike. It's part beer can, spray can and HOK paint. I haven't painted in years so this bike passes my 10 foot rule (stand back 10 feet and it looks great) but I wouldn't call it PRO quality, for that it takes a real paint shop. However, I'll probably do this again on another frame later. I need some funky plotter/cutters and special graphics paper (that or just more talent) to get the graphics right. It's alright for now considering the frameset was originally orange & white (what was BMC thinking?) and dirt cheap. I prefer experimenting on this rather than an SLC01 OR SLX01...those are too expensive to screw up.

And for my next trick? Cavendish's Gran Tour Winning Prologue Time Trial frame will get a face lift. Need more beer & paint. That and some new TT Pro Synop bars (thanks for nothing Bikenowhere.com) :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

That is totally awesome.
Is that faux carbon on the C'dale SRM?

deltasierra

by deltasierra

So totally Pro! Nice Job.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

every detail is perfect, right down to the wicked gear ratio selected just for the pic! :thumbup:

WillMcGinnis

by WillMcGinnis

Uh.... you can be bored at my house sometime :D

johnnyha

by johnnyha

Really cool!

Gregorio

by Gregorio

great job.

RudeE

by RudeE

I like the frame, great job!...the rest of the stuff, maybe a bit much.

Chirobike

by Chirobike

jz4nyc wrote:every detail is perfect, right down to the wicked gear ratio selected just for the pic! :thumbup:

Just keeping it real. Like Starnut says, "Q factor is a red herring" even if you want to slap a BB30 on a standard frame, still works...kinda. :?

Of course I'd never ride that gear...sober.

http://myfaitaccompli.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=3

Blogged some more pics here.

:beerchug:

iamtak

by iamtak

wait, wait.. I didnt catch onto the bb30 trickery, what did you do?

Are you a junior? That small cog on the cassette looks large to me. 14t?

Sweet paint job, I checked out the photo before I read any more. I had to ask myself "when did BMC release the Hincapie paintjob?" Seriously good looking work!

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

Good to see someone else using the Pro track stem!

micky

by micky

Nice personal touch!

Chirobike

by Chirobike

iamtak wrote:wait, wait.. I didnt catch onto the bb30 trickery, what did you do?

Are you a junior? That small cog on the cassette looks large to me. 14t?

Sweet paint job, I checked out the photo before I read any more. I had to ask myself "when did BMC release the Hincapie paintjob?" Seriously good looking work!

Wow..you guys are good. :shock: No, I'm no junior...bought that cassette for my kid but had to change the Fulcrum freehub to Shimano from Campy and slapped it on there to make sure things worked right. I run RED for now and have the Powerdome with grown up gears (although in my case it probably doesn't make a difference) on a set of Zipp 60's.

BB30 is Starnut's creation. Basically BB30 refers to diameter of the bb spindle so where you stick the bearings really doesn't matter other than chainline (which is functional not optimal) and Q factor (which matters a little b/c of heel clearence) for me and my duckfeet a wider Q factor actually helps me a little. In a nutshell you need a 122mm BB30 spindle and some Zipp Vumaquad or Fifteen G cups. You have to move out the bearing contact surface point on the spindle so it fits right. Other than that some spacer magic and it works just fine on any bike. I'm all for someone to finally come up with a real conversion kit for BB30 to conventional. I kind of like the Specialized idea better and maybe just have different sized spacers to space out as needed for their BB30 crank. I read somewhere that the Specialized BB30 and outboard cups are the exact right spacing anyway...don't know haven't tried. The cranks were painted and carbon wrap material. SRM has to have chainrings moved inboard to the spider to get the spacing right...doesn't matter on the readings and it works fine...no problems. I could actually move the crank in more and get the spacing exact but I'd have to machine the BB cup b/c it does rub on the spider if you get too close. Not worth the trouble.

Anyway, it'll work for now. When BMC goes BB30 and Metrigear gets something out I won't need any of this and it'll be on ebay! I'm not holding my breath though.

*** I know of the Fifteen G cups...thought about using them and will on the TT bike (yes, I'm sticking another BB30 setup on that one, too)...looking at the cups on their webpage they may actually be a "BETTER" setup than the Vuma Quads b/c they have a recessed lip over the outboard side of the bearing. It may be just enough to allow it to clear the lip of the spider and move the whole chainline in closer. I have no idea but I'm sure it's no worse than using Vuma Quads (heck of a lot cheaper too). Anyway...just some FYI.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

:shock:

Not bad. The paint looks great....

your almost right about the BB30 setup. The easy part is the cups. Hell you can use the FifteenG or the Vumas but......... you'll need this little part

Image.

This is the non stock part of the whole deal and what makes it actually work. One is stock one is not.... That and you need the custom made little NDS spacers to take up the extra spindle length.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com