Optygen....does it work?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

now, that should help! :D :D :D
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

gentri

by gentri

Bruiser wrote:I used to train/race several times a week, however I work to pay for my bikes now and am stictly a weekend warrior.
Though my race results havn't suffered greatly I feel that I have lost some of my endurance but am fresh for each race.

I'll buy a new bike soon and will buy an indoor trainer to stay in form (why buy a bike and be out of form :? )

Brian

Glad to know that you still have great race results despite working and being a weekend warrior.
If cardio pressure is what is affecting your performance. It could be caused by the decrease of your physical activity (training). Cardio pressure could be caused by your heart's inability to supply enough blood to your organs (eg, lungs and muscles) making your heart to pump faster and maybe stronger.
If you've just cut down your training time recently, your body will adapt to your current physical state. Hopefully you won't have that much problem of cardio pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

this is all good info, i think we need a training forum, i started a thread here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... .php?t=942

please vote yes for a training forum.

gentri

by gentri

spytech wrote:this is all good info, i think we need a training forum, i started a thread here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... .php?t=942

Thanks spytech.
Now I have another great reason to be on this forum more often. :D

Perry

by Perry

if you are a weekend warrior like me it´s better spendt time to go with long intervalls at 80% of your VO2 max
5x5min two times a week
this should give you better results than eating pills

spytech

by spytech

gentri wrote:
spytech wrote:this is all good info, i think we need a training forum, i started a thread here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... .php?t=942

Thanks spytech.
Now I have another great reason to be on this forum more often. :D

no problem, im just reading the whole thread, trying to learn more about V02 max. but a training forum would be great.

gentri

by gentri

Perry wrote:if you are a weekend warrior like me it´s better spendt time to go with long intervalls at 80% of your VO2 max
5x5min two times a week
this should give you better results than eating pills

:cry: didn't mean to encourage people to take supplements.
Your training program sounds good. We could post that in the new training forum.
I do have a question about the training. If I am a weekend warrior myself and perform the long intervals at 80%, when will my recovery phase be? :(

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I have been a w/e warrior for 7 months now.
I struggle with my legs during cycling but this has always been a problem for me.

I used to enjoy track motorpace training weekly but still had trouble with my power. I'm more than happy with my leg speed and most people tell me to push harder gears.

I race track on Sat night, and occassionaly we have a motorpace. My legs require most of the week to recover but I'm fresh by Sat and keen for another race :D

I enjoy the beach training and will continue for fun, I'm not sure how to best train my legs for power.

Brian

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

bruiser go riding for at least 1.5 hr and after 30 minutes start with the first power training. Ride in your heaviest gear at 70% of your hf max. Stay in the saddle. Do it for five minutes, then relax 5 and do it again. You have to do 5 power training parts. the recouvery will take up to two/ three days. So no speed training afterwards. You can train HF max the followong days.

Got it :?: :wink:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

gentri

by gentri

Frankie - B wrote:bruiser go riding for at least 1.5 hr and after 30 minutes start with the first power training. Ride in your heaviest gear at 70% of your hf max. Stay in the saddle. Do it for five minutes, then relax 5 and do it again. You have to do 5 power training parts. the recouvery will take up to two/ three days. So no speed training afterwards. You can train HF max the followong days.

Got it :?: :wink:

We've got a lot of great training ideas here. Is there a way to include thses in the training forum? :D

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yes we have :D

But Florian has to give us one! :cry:

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Ouch Frankie, that's gunna hurt :oops:

My body takes longer than usual to recover but I get more gain.
I'm strugling to walk after the sprints on Sun but I know my calves will be stronger.

On Sat I did a 20km time trial after getting to the race late (snapped my chain on the way) and did motorpace in the evening.

As much as I would like to ride this week, I'll be happy if I recover for Thurs. Till then I will dream of my race plan.

Where shall we start the Training forum? We can move therads later if we recognise the title.

Brian

Tippster

by Tippster

How old are you guys?

I'm 29 years old and commute 11 miles into work each day.

22 miles a day x 5 days a week.

With every other weekend being an off-road 20 miles, I'm clocking up 500 miles a month. I dont stretch or each specific foods.

I'm 12.5 stone, having previously been 14.5stone. Over 7 months lost 2 stone in weight (new to cycling).

Any beginners tips to eating / drinking / training?

I find my:
power is great
speed ok
stamina ok

I just lack the enthusiasm to ride at length and at speed. I can do it but... Maybe I need to set myself time trials. Started doing that on my commute. 11 miles (road - but not flat). Started at 48 minutes. Got this down to 32 minutes (at that speed I'm half dead at the end). Performance seemed to plateau from their. Cant seem to break the 30 minute barrier. At 32 minutes I'm averaging 22 miles and hour on a mountain bike with road tyres (26 inch wheels - 42 x 11 gear setup).

On a road bike 30 minutes I feel no problem. But want to break it on my mountain bike.

What tips to improve on average speed over 11 miles?

Can you PM me as I dont read the road section much.

thanks

_______
Tippster

JTC

by JTC

To answer the original question, I have tried Optygen before with no noticable results. The product is quite expensive also ($50 a bottle). At that price I expect more from a product. I am sceptical of most products though. I have heard of some folks "thinking" they saw some results from the product, but I often beleive its just the placebo effect. You can give people sugar pills and tell them that its an experimental drug and they will say that the pills make them sick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

cyclemanpat wrote:I was wondering if anyone out there is using or has used Optygen? Does it work....give me feedback

I suspect a bowl of oatmeal might work as well. There's no shortcutting a consistent training program. My only performance enhancing suppliment is caffiene .. and mostly to get my arse up and going! If Optygen claims an increase in V02 max, etc., it's probably so insignificant compared to what real, long-term training will do for you.