'89 Merckx Tutti Frutti - I'm a lazy sod, as it's all ready

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sakic

by sakic

its going to be good.

good work with the hubs, I have 2 sets of these and just changed the bearings and bearing race on the back hub of one set after maybe 5 years of constant use. Good as new.

have you considered tubulars? ambrosio nemisis? in 28f 32r? get some nice tyres and really enjoy the ride? You won't ride the bike everyday. Otherwise yeah, go with a lo-profile clincher.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The lad I was talking to last night mentioned this, and his opinion was that I could go a period rim that'll obviously look the part. However there'd be a sacrifice in strength and longevity.

Otherwise a newer rim would offer the opposite of the above.

I would actually not rule out singles - the experience of guling them up and all that would be fun. I suppose it all now depends on which rims I go with....

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Tinea Pedis wrote:The lad I was talking to last night mentioned this, and his opinion was that I could go a period rim that'll obviously look the part. However there'd be a sacrifice in strength and longevity.

Otherwise a newer rim would offer the opposite of the above.

I would actually not rule out singles - the experience of guling them up and all that would be fun. I suppose it all now depends on which rims I go with....
I've had MA40's and G40's from the 80's on 10 speed wheels with zero problems. If you avoid super light tub rims like Fiamme Ergals, Super Champion Arc-en-Ciels and Mavic GEL280's you'll be fine.

Ambrosio Nemesis or Crono in 32h will be fine. 28h Cronos might be a little delicate for regular use.

icebreaker

by icebreaker

The things you find on the internet.

I'm a little miffed that you haven't emailed to ask some of these questions, or to clear up issues.

I had 6 of those at one point you know.

And, would you mind telling me just exactly why it isn't built yet????

You didn't pay enough for it.

User Name

by User Name

The guy who just sold Bicycle Recycle has a few old Merckx frames, in particular, a team Panasonic and a Team ADR Weinmann, but he wants a fair bit for them.

ImageImage
Last edited by User Name on Fri May 14, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Damn! They look niiiiiice!

Still need to get the wheels sorted. And a ding patched up :oops: maybe an auto sprayer or someone might be able to colour match it :oops:

User Name

by User Name

I just put a better picture of the Panasonic one on there.
Yeah, they're quite nice, and if I had a spare several hundred bucks, I'd probably get one, or something similar.
The Panansonic is a 56, and has a few scratches on it, and the ADR one is (I think) a 58, and is in great condition.

icebreaker

by icebreaker

Tinea Pedis wrote:Damn! They look niiiiiice!

Still need to get the wheels sorted. And a ding patched up :oops: maybe an auto sprayer or someone might be able to colour match it :oops:

What!?

Please tell me you are not serious.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I wish, but tis true.

Never mind, will get it fixed. It's a bike, not a piece of china. I'll certainly do worse once it's on the road.

icebreaker

by icebreaker

For the love of Mercy.

What did you do??
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Mon May 17, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Snipped the quote. PP

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Relax, just a very small paint chip on the tt. Courtesy of the fork and me being just a tad clumsy.

Will find an auto repairer or someone who will be able to paint match it and get it sorted. Easy fixed.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Right, update time!

Starting to build wheels tomorrow. Will be a set of silver Chorus hubs on some Ambrosio Extralite rims with black nipples and DT Swiss Competition stainless spokes.

Pretty stoked, as I'll be building the wheels myself!

Now just need to try and find a saddle....

Oh and get the chip fixed :oops:

musket

by musket

There's a master frame painter in the Dandenongs. Perfect colour matching and incredible quality. If you have a ding, he's your guy.

http://www.sungraphics.com.au/

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ta for that one, but in fact just had it fixed last week :D

Not enough time to have it ready fir the Worlds though :(

tarz

by tarz

Tinea i cant tell u how much im looking forward to seeing this build finished.... im sure u cant wait either considering how long you've had this one in the works for.....

saddle-wise have u considered a san marco rolls or regal???? or brooks? or is that not going to fit in quite right????

and kudos to u having a crack at the lacing and wheel building, i cant wait to give that a go, i think its awesome when u can do it all yourself....

all the best!!!
:thumbup:
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com