aerodynamics

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

maybe a stupid question, but would it be an advantage aerodinamically if one shaves his arms for a time trial?i've heard swimmers do this(not for aerodynamics but aquadynamics;-))

Franziskaner

by Franziskaner

i doubt it. it has been shown that shaved legs don't make a difference aerodynamically, so arms should be the same thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattpage

by mattpage

If you want your clothing to be as aerodynamic as possible then get a skin suit. I don't think shaving arms will make any difference at all.

hottessa

by hottessa

I disagree
Chris Boardman shaved his arms for his world hour recoed attempt. That guy knew a thing or two about being "aero"
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

mattpage

by mattpage

Maybe he thought he knew something about aerodynamics, but I doubt it will make any real differnce.

Get absolutly everything else sorted first, aero postion perfect, aero bike, wheels etc.

If shaving legs has been proven to be no advantage then shaving arms will be the same.

jersievers

by jersievers

Shaving or not, the F1 team that worked on lances stuff have said that a full skin suit is the fastest aerodynamically. UCI doesn't allow that so they do the long sleeve thing only. Nike has developed a material that is faster then perfectly smooth skin. Has to do with boundary layers and such, you know dimples on Zipps and Golf balls.

The same thing for swimming, the suits they have created are faster then shaved skin. A good number of swimmer I know don't shave anymore because of speed. They use the extra drag for training.

I have heard that shaving your arms will make a difference, but that I don't have any data or have I seen any. I use a long sleeve skin suit. The info I heard about arm shaving is that your arms are some of the first part to hit the wind so there is an advantage. Your legs are secondary to headtube, front wheel, down tube and arms, so the effect of shaving legs is almost nil because they are moving in "dirty" air.

big fellow

by big fellow

i seriously doubt whether shaving your arms makes any difference, unless you have arms like Robin Williams

even if it does offer some miniscule difference, I would guarantee that human skin has a much higher friction co-efficient than smooth and tight skinsuits which are designed solely for that purpose - to pass through the air with a minimum amount of friction

best case scenario is that shaving your arms gives you a massive psychological boost :wink:

Tippster

by Tippster

I'd imagine it would help Chewbacca...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

the_taaboo

by the_taaboo

Tippster wrote:I'd imagine it would help Chewbacca...

but in a vacuum you don't have air resistance and thats Chewbacca's main habitation...
Think about the lightest part on your bike? Your brain! -Use it and do not buy any component, but the one which suits your riding style...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

the_taaboo wrote:
Tippster wrote:I'd imagine it would help Chewbacca...

but in a vacuum you don't have air resistance and thats Chewbacca's main habitation...

Ahh, there you're wrong! I think Wookies would explode in a vacuum; Chewie spends most of his time in the (pressurized) Millenium Falcon. I imagine Chewbacca could, however, get great benefits from shaving for Wookie-races back home on Kashyyk.

I am the biggest nerd EVER.