Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

legs 11

by legs 11

Juan, the T shaped tool on the pic is what you need for driving an inverted standard nipple if you want to have a go with one.
Hope that helps?
Cheers, Rob.
Pedalling Law Student.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So the rims I ordered on January 30th still have not arrived. The manufacturer has responded to each of my queries but has yet to provide a shipping date. Because I purchased through Paypal I am protected for 45 days which is fast approaching. I'm beginning to think my project is out the window until I get my money back and find a different supplier.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The supplier couldn't deliver. I don't really understand why, but I imagine I am a pretty small fish in a really big pond. My order of 2 rims wasn't a very high priority. As I expected, I was able to get a complete refund through PayPal with no problem. So it's back to the drawing board on this project. What really pisses me off though is that I missed an eBay auction for a set of Reynolds KOM wheels. Someone outbid me at the last second and the wheels sold for $760.00. I should have raised my minimum bid... oh well. Win some, lose some.

Alex_ucsb
Shop Owner

by Alex_ucsb

Juanmoretime wrote:
kwazi wrote:I too have been looking into building up some of those "alibaba special" rims. I'm having trouble finding readily available lower spoke count (20f/24r) hubs that don't cost a bazillion dollars like tune or dt190s. I was actually trying to find something like the novatecs http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I saw someone here used the soul hubs and they look great but still seem a little pricey for a budget build. Did anyone else out there come across an acceptable hubset while researching their builds? I work at a shop so if there is something that might be available through a distributor it would be a huge plus

Thanks

Has anyone used these Novatec hubs and are they any good and true to weight? Also would anyone know with a Reynolds Cirro rim and a standard alloy nipple be used backwards instead of the Reynolds locking nipple? Last question, how do you tension it?

As the big-brand taiwanese hubs go, Novatecs are my favorites. They're a bit more rotund than other brands, hence I use Tune's hubs on my higher end stuff, but the Novatecs have excellent bearings and are very reliable.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Just got an e-mail from the sales rep I had been working with. The rims I wanted are ready for immediate shipment. I haven't come up with a plan B yet so I'm considering trying these guys again. While I waited a long time initially, they did refund my money and were responsive to my e-mails. So maybe now that the rims are physically available I'll press ahead with my project.

Ari

by Ari

Do it Ted.
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

OK, rims ordered... US$274.05 (500 grams advertised)
Hubs ordered... US$296.00 (263 grams advertised)
Both prices include shipping.

That's 763 grams and US$570.05. That leaves me 237 grams and US$429.95 for spokes/nipples/building to keep the project on target weight/price.

I'm still flip-flopping on bladed vs. round double-butted spokes. The weight difference is so small as to be insignificant but I wonder if there might be a performance advantage to bladed spokes even though these will primarily be climbing wheels.

Ari

by Ari

What drill count on the rims/hubs?

If at least 20/24 at your weight I'd go with bladed though if you're worried then I'd go double butted and not have the worry. If 24/28 I'd defintely not worry at bladed and I'm sitting at 170-175 lb right now.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

xnavalav8r wrote:Just got an e-mail from the sales rep I had been working with. The rims I wanted are ready for immediate shipment.

probably from the same batch of rims, got another pair of 20mms for another build.
first set was 248g/246g, this one came in at 255g/ 256g.

you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Ari - I'm going with 20/24. I'm sitting around 155-160 right now. It fluctuates a bit.

Farm_lim - Those look like what I ordered. I was hoping they would come in under the advertised 250 grams. But for the money I can't complain about a +2% deviation per rim. That still keeps me under the weight limit I imposed and I am well under budget.

Ari

by Ari

I see no reason why you cannot go with CX-Rays. I doubt you'll notice any aero advantage but I like the aesthetics on the bladed over the typical spoke.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So I ordered CX-rays and Sapim Polyax alloy nipples. $172.41 including shipping. That included a couple extra spokes in each of three sizes needed and a bag of 64 nipples. This brings wheel weight to 986 grams for a total price of US$742.46. All parts are confirmed shipped with tracking information. I expect to have everything in about a week. I'll post actual weights and individual component photos upon receipt to be followed by built wheel photos. Last issue will be tires.... do I go crazy-light (like Tufo) as these will be strictly climbing wheels, or go with something like the new Veloflex extreme so I have the option to use them on regular terrain if/when required? Tough decision there...

Ari

by Ari

I'd avoid crazy light in favor of durability on the tires. The last thing I'd want is to flat on a monster climb (unless of course you intend on carrying an extra sew up...

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

These wheels will be almost exclusively for hillclimbs like Newton's Revenge and the Mt. Washington Auto Road Hillclimb... races up only. You have to come down in a motor-vehicle. So I'm willing to accept a little risk on the durability of the tire as it won't be used for descending and won't experience any bad pavement at speed. I wonder if I could get the entire wheelset, tires, cassette, and skewers under 1800 grams? Maybe that is for a new thread...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

xnavalav8r wrote:Last issue will be tires.... do I go crazy-light (like Tufo) as these will be strictly climbing wheels, or go with something like the new Veloflex extreme so I have the option to use them on regular terrain if/when required? Tough decision there...

The higher rolling resistance of Tufos will more than compensate for their weight.