3T Rotundo bars or other classic bend bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cydonian74

by cydonian74

I have a set of 3T Ergosum bars currently but was thinking of switching to a more classic style bend; i just prefer that style.

my question is this, do the Rotundo's have a groove(s) to accomodate the brake/gear cable outers? The ergosums don't and i dont like it. I might consider alternatives, but i just find the 3T stuff great value for money vs performance. Thanks in advance.

Murphs

by Murphs

My Rotundo LTD bars have a front and rear groove for cables

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McJohnson

by McJohnson

Yes, the LTD has grooves - The Pro in alu doesn't though...

I ride the Pro on my race bike - And even without grooves, that's a killer bar 8)

cydonian74

by cydonian74

Its the Pro version of the Ergosum bar that i use. Do you find that the cables routed on your Pro Rotundo's (without the groove?) are still comfy enough? Are the cables very noticeable at all?

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

The cable routing on the Pro Rotundos is fine. Cannae notice the lack of grooves.

McJohnson

by McJohnson

Mine are running on the back (almost below the bar) so i don't notice them at all - And one from my team use it with DA7800 where the cables are run on front - And that works fine as well :)

holamateo

by holamateo

Hi, I'm setting up a pair of Rotundo LTD bars with SRAM Force shift/levers and I'm unable to find much info cable routing with this particular combo. I realize you can route the shift cable on the outside however I occasionally like to drape my hands on the ramp section (btwn tops and hoods) and I assume the outside cable routing would be uncomfortable on the hands. I've attempted to run both sets of cables to the inside however because of the tight bend of the Rotundo bar it forces the cables into some unnatural positions plus you there's some gap between cable and bar. I don't want to end up with spongy or high friction braking and shifting. Anyhow I was hoping you guys could take a look and give me some advice for how to improve my setup. Thanks! - Matt

GT56

by GT56

you need to move the brake levers higher up on the bar (tips level with the bottom of the flat section)

that will bring the cables closer to the bar

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

I have a selection of Rotundo bars (some Ltd, Team and Pro). With Sram levers (mine are Red but they're essentially the same) I run one cable in the front groove and one in the rear. I feel it gives the 'roundest' shape once it's taped over.

The grooves are the bars aren't overly deep but they work fine in my experience.

Lovely bar shape on the Rotundo.

holamateo

by holamateo

Great I'll try both of those suggestions. Thanks a lot! - Matt

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

holamateo wrote:I've attempted to run both sets of cables to the inside however because of the tight bend of the Rotundo bar it forces the cables into some unnatural positions plus you there's some gap between cable and bar. I don't want to end up with spongy or high friction braking and shifting.

u need to just pull it tighter. if i can use yokozuna brake housings on easton tko classic bend, you can do just about anything. The outer track doesn't really feel weird if you just pull the cables underneath, but if you can in the front, do it, for the look.

and yea, your bars seem angle to high and your hoods too low on the bar.

brycerider

by brycerider

My rotundo team has no groove. I run cables one front and one behind to give best overall shape when wrapped

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

holamateo

by holamateo

Great, I appreciate all the feedback. I am going to try to get things dialed in this weekend - angling up the bars a bit, moving levers up, routing cables front and back. Will post again once I have things adjusted. Thanks!

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I have the Rotundo Pro. No cable grooves.

I'll be posting my build soon so you'll be able to see what I did. Drops are horizontal and the levers are fairly low. Wrapping the bars just has to be the very last thing done to the bike. I went brake cable front, gear rear. Some decent electrical tape helps.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com