I links pics. Regular and Mini. [Test report on page 3]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks for the extra info gearjunkie! Good to read your experiences are about the same as mine. I didn't have the stretch issues you had though.

Thanks for the update!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Frankie - B wrote:For lube I still use the good old Slippery spit from Shimano.

I am confused - is this to mean you add lube to the teflon coated cables supplied with the ilinks? I have not used any lubricant on the cables on our bikes (including my cross bike) and I got the impression that adding lubricant would cause problems which would cause the cables to stick inside the teflon liner.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sneeeky

by sneeeky

frankie b & gearjunkie did you by chance measure the od of the housings? just wondering if they will fit campy 11s shifters?
thanks

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I haven't measured the od of the iLinks or the iLink Mini's. But I'm pretty confident that you won't have any trouble with the Mini's - they're very small. However the iLink standards (for brakes) may be a problem.

I'll see if I can remember to measure them at home tonight and get back to you.... unless Frankie beats me to it :D

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Beat GJ to it! (what did I win?)

Outside diameter of Mini's 4.25mm.
Outside diameter of reg's 5.44mm.

Measured with digital calipers.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I'm running I-link and mini I-links on my Campag 10 speed units with no problems so they "should" work on 11spd.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

sneeeky

by sneeeky

thanks guys for the info and quick responses
:thumbup:

availpunk9

by availpunk9

I just picked up a set of iLinks. For Campy, does one run the outer directly into the shifter without the shifter connector piece? I'm guessing the instructions that came with the set are for Shimano shifters. Do the liners need to be lubed? Previously I lubed the nokons. However, the instructions don't mention this. I'll be running these fully sealed, if it matters.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks for your questions.

On my setup I:
-did run the outer directly into the sram shifter.
-did put some lube in the liner.

I think the last thing is a personal thing. Some people do and some people don't both seem to be happy with it.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

on my campag set up I used one of the shorter end peices to go into the shifter (not the lever peice with the alligator logo on it)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

ms6073

by ms6073

I split the difference and used the supplied cable end for my Dura Ace 7900 shifters which leaves a slight 'bump' under the bar tape and omitted the cable end and pushed the inner liner slightly into the plastic/teflon lined groove for my wifes bike (also with DA 7900).
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wezep

by wezep

Is it possible to use the liner only in the beads?
So not where the inner cable is 'open/vissible'?

This because the liner of the mini i-links is white.
The beads and my Addict are black.
I don't like like seeing the white liner.

I hope you understand my question.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Wezep,

Yes you can, just make shure that the end of the liner stops inside of the cablestop and stays hidden this way.

Raxel

by Raxel

Using mini for braking is officially prohibited? Anyone brave enough to try?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I 'studied' this option and the inhibitors are that the brake cable is too large in diameter to be fed into the mini ilink teflon liner and the diameter of the holes in the mini ilink pearls is too small to use regular ilink liner. That said, if so inclined, one could run the brake cables though the mini ilinks without the teflon liner but I doubt that would offer very good brake feedback and evertually might result in the cables etching the inside of the ilinks.
- Michael