'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red Completed Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

range
Shop Owner

by range

Hi,

I'm Range and I'm from Quebec, but I'm currently living in Taipei, Taiwan. I'm graduate student in mathematics, tech-journalist/photographer for Apartment Therapy/Unplggd and Technabob, and recently I started exporting some high-end bikes from Taiwan. I started doing that because of the flood of comments and emails I kept receiving when I started writing about bikes last year. Plus, I get great deals on bikes for myself. Like most of us, I'm kind of obsessed with bikes.

I run a lot but I wanted to cross-train so I went back to biking in 2008. My typical training routine involves mid-length distances, from 50-100 km 4 to 5 times a week, with a longer ride on Sundays followed by an off day. My first serious bike was a Pinarello Columbus steel bike built up with Shimano 105 in 1991. I still have it in storage in Montreal. Don't worry, once I get back, I'll restore her to her full beauty. Vintage Campy Record, and all that stuff.

For this bike, I wanted to start out with a training bike. I initially considered a carbon fiber bike, but discarded that idea because of the real danger of taking spills. This year, I've taken 3. On one occasion, I ended up in the hospital (road rash and stitches). I actually lost consciousness (!) and woke up in the hospital. This happens because Taipei is very hot during the summer, so I tend to ride at night. I ride very fast, ergo the problem. Still, it hasn't dampened my spirits. It would be curious to find out if any of those spills would have broken a carbon fiber frame. They damaged the shifting system of the aluminum bike I was riding at the time. It's never fully recovered.

Back to the build. After checking out my options, I went for a titanium frame. There are a number of cheap OEM titanium frames available in Taiwan, for about $600-800 USD you can be set. But that didn't interest me much. I decided on a Velocite Millennium a few months ago because they conform to EU testing. Plus this bike has a lifetime warranty + 3-year crash replacement warranty. I finally purchased the bike two weeks ago. It arrived at the shop last week.

Here is my build list with some partial weights:

Millennium Elite*
Frame Velocite Millennium titanium size M (1,490)
Headset FSA Orbit C
Compressor FSA Carbon
Bottom Bracket SRAM Red Ceramic BB
Seatpost Velocite TLC (185)
Seatpost clamp Velocite Anchor (138)
Spacers x 4 generic carbon
Fork Velocite Zephyr (375)
Stem Velocite FCS (132)
Handlebars Velocite LICOS (176)
Crankset SRAM Red (630)
Cassette SRAM Red 11-25 (155)
Chain SRAM Red PC 1090R (255)
Rear derailleur SRAM Red (153)
Front derailleur SRAM Red (72)
FD clamp FSA clamp
Shifters SRAM Red (280)
Brakes TRP 960 SL (249)
Wheels Velocite MONC50 carbon fiber (1,540)
Tubes Kenda
Tires 2×Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX (430)
Rim tape High pressure tape
Bar tape Prologo Pro Touch
Saddle Prologo Scratch Pro (240)
Cables SRAM Red

Total actual weight 7,090gr

I've ordered a carbon fiber saddle from Velocite, weight should be 113 gr and some lightweight Velocite Ethereal bottle cages (10.5g a piece). I wanted this bike with SRAM Red. The build is only partially started. We're waiting for some components to arrive, mainly the SRAM Red ceramic BB and a chain ring.

Other changes that loom upon the horizon. The seatpost, anchor, stem and handlebar combination is a bit heavy in my opinion. I ordered them because I didn't have any spares. I'll have something to put on my next frame once I customize this one.

I'm looking for some not too expensive options in reducing weight. Sure, I could lower the weight of the bike by adding Lightweights Standard IIIs, but that's not an option on this training bike. The same goes for ultra-lightweight cranks like THM clavicula. They are really great, but I'm reserving those for my race bike which I'll put together sometime later this spring.

For wheels, I'm getting a set of Fulcrum Racing 0 2-way fit because it comes standard with a bike, but a client wanted Mavic Carbone SLs. I know that they're not super-light, but you can't argue with a sort of deal like that.

In my opinion, with some lighter wheels, and some lighter components, stem, seat post, anchor, this bike could easily weigh around 6kg. Kind of impressive for a 1,490 kg titanium frame. I was worried about the prominent logos on the Velocite MONC50 wheels, but they look very good in person, coupled with the red from the tires, it really makes them pop in a good way. I'm going for a titanium/red look. The handlebar tape will probably be red. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm looking forward to testing it out fully next week when it's completed. I'll update this post with further details.
Last edited by range on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robin v Berkel

by Robin v Berkel

that is very nice looking bike :thumbup:
cannondale Rush carbon SL team 8.75kg/19.29 1x10
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101405
old WW bikes
Epic carbon 2006 9.3kg
Spark 10 2008 8.2Kg
Anthem Adv 9kg ( solt after 3 weeks not done )
scalpel 2009 7.97kg

range
Shop Owner

by range

Thanks! It's coming together nicely. The titanium/red combo works well, even though I'd have preferred titanium/blue.
Asterisk*Cycles
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

range
Shop Owner

by range

Final build weighs in at 7.335 kg without pedals, computer. Bottlecages will arrive in a few days. I'm slowly buying up lightweight components, but not for this bike. This is my training bike. However, the weight weenie in me still wants it down to at least 6kg, which is easily possible.
Asterisk*Cycles

Toorqs
Shop Owner

by Toorqs

The Millennium looks great!

I just finished building up a "Magnus" with Dura-Ace, and you wont be sorry if you go for one later :) Havent been able to test it outside yet as its still winter, but it looks like an absolute beast. Im waiting for some MONC50 wheels to go with it. Weight with current setup 6,5 kg
Last edited by Toorqs on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

range
Shop Owner

by range

Looks great!

Yes, I'm actually sold on the Magnus and I'll be making that my racing bike. I've got one reserved with the next batch, but I'm also very stoked about the new bike that Victor announced, a ~900g ultra light carbon fiber bike, called the Geos. That will be the basis of my weight weenie.

I took the final pics yesterday, haven't had time to upload or post-process them yet. Bike looks really good, red handlebar tape, highlights the red accents that are all over the bike.
Asterisk*Cycles

range
Shop Owner

by range

I got it yesterday and it's sitting right in front of me now. Yesterday, it was 28C in Taiwan, but today it's 13C and raining. It's not looking good for the rest of the week, I don't know if I'll be able to get in some decent mileage over the weekend, but I'll try to test it out.
Asterisk*Cycles

range
Shop Owner

by range

I picked up my bike, a Velocite Millennium, on Thursday and saw it getting put together most of this week. I wasn’t satisfied with the Into Race ceramic BB, so I had it replaced with the SRAM Red one. Into Race was designed in Italy and made in Taiwan, though I couldn’t find any information on the brand. Probably just another OEM brand.

The bike has got a titanium/red color scheme going. I couldn’t decide on which handlebar tape to put on Wednesday and finally decided on the Cinelli Bubble Ribbon tape. It matches great with the red logos, the red cables, red accents on the tires and seat, and the red colors of the rim.

I threw out my back on Tuesday, so I haven’t been able to take it for a test ride. I rode it home, but it was a short ride. My back’s getting better but it started raining cats and dogs in Taipei. It just stopped for Chinese New Year. I might be able to get a ride in tomorrow, if it’s not too wet.

I ordered a pair of Xpedo Ti R-Force pedals as well as some ultra-low weight bottle cages. It looks like I’ll receive those after CNY, as most businesses are completely closed for a week for the Chinese New Year celebrations.

Even if we’ve got the ITM Pathom stem and handlebars in stock, the bars themselves are 225g, about 50g heavier than the ones on the bike right now. For now, I’ll keep the bike almost stock the way it is, but my next few bikes will also be SRAM Red (both Velocite bikes, the Magnus as my race bike and the upcoming Geos as my weight weenie bike), it will be easy to switch wheels by simply swapping them out. Ideally, I wanted to get a Photon as a WW project, but it's just too expensive to justify the cost, and let's not even think about Storcks.

The ITM Pathom is an interesting option for people with wider hands and for people who want to get an integrated handlebar/stem but don’t like how heavy that combination can get. I have to say that the Pathom bars do look darn good. They feel good too in my hands, though I don't know how they'd perform. They felt better than the FSA Plasma, though they might not feel as responsive as a stem/handlebar combo while on the road.. Still, the stock Velocite Licos bar is 176g, not too shabby.

On the horizon is a set of ultra-low weight climbing wheels, which will be heavier than the ones I initially wanted, the Edge 1.25, but they will be a lot more affordable. These rims are used by FFWD. However, they have a clean, clear, carbon fiber-look. I’ve decided to go with the Tune Mag 150 and Mig 50 hubs, even if they are more expensive. The Extralite SX are lighter, but I’ve read that they can get rattly and durability might be an issue. The Tunes are only slightly heavier. I’m looking at wheels that will be 695g+spokes. Not bad.

For now, if I pop in my Velocite SCS saddle, the weight goes down by 130g. With new wheels, it might go down by almost 700g. Next weight-saving measures would involve seat post, stem, and handlebar. Stem, an even lighter saddle, seat post and handlebars could cut down weight by 280g. Costs involved would be about $1,500. A tuned THM Scrapula fork would bring down the weight by 140g. Since the fork isn't a titanium fork, but a carbon fiber one, this would look pretty good. Then, tackling the crank would take off at least 220g. So in total, this would reduce weight by 640g. Add the wheels, and we’d be talking about 1,340g. Total cost: $3,300. DJConnel uses the $3.5/g as a basis to see if lighter components are worth it. This is somewhat more expensive at $5.15/g, but by adding the wheels, I arrive at $3.5/g on the dot. Granted, I think that he meant for each part.

I also want to optimize the bike, going through the parts and cutting down on some of the weight. Things like skewers, clamps, can be easily replaced by lighter versions. I might also try my hand at tuning some of the SRAM parts, though I’ve never done this before. Ultimately, this is what I’m saving for my weight weenie bike, but I wouldn’t mind getting the Millennium down to about 6kg. That would be pretty good for a titanium bike.

I thought that my bike plans entailed at least a Dura Ace bike and a Super Record bike, but it looks like it will be SRAM for now. The only reason I’d go for Dura Ace for now would be fore Di2 and Super Record has to be fitted onto an Italian beauty.

Millennium Elite SRAM RED
Frame Velocite Millennium titanium 1,490
Headset FSA Orbit C
Compressor FSA Carbon
Bottom Bracket SRAM Red Ceramic BB
Seatpost Velocite TLC 190
Seatpost clamp Velocite Anchor } -
Spacers x 4 generic carbon
Fork Velocite Zephyr 375
Stem Velocite FCS 132
Handlebars Velocite LICOS 176
Crankset SRAM Red 630
Cassette SRAM Red 11-25 155
Chain SRAM Red PC 1090R 255
Rear derailleur SRAM Red 153
Front derailleur SRAM Red 72
FD clamp FSA clamp
Shifters SRAM Red 280
Brakes TRP 960 SL 249
Wheels Velocite MONC50 carbon fiber 1,540
Tubes Kenda
Tires Vittoria Rubino Pro 420
Rim tape High pressure tape
Bar tape Cinelli Bubble Ribbon
Saddle Prologo Scratch Pro 240
Cables SRAM Red

————————————————————————————-

Total actual weight 7,335gr
Last edited by range on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asterisk*Cycles

range
Shop Owner

by range

Kind of annoyed that I didn't weigh every single part. I was a bit too excited when I received the packages and before I knew it, they were already mounted.
Asterisk*Cycles

range
Shop Owner

by range

So the rain finally abated in Taipei. It has been raining non-stop for the last week. Totally sucks, as this was my week of work.

I readied the bike for my training run today. Only I got a late start and by the time I was out of the door, it was already 6PM.

I had to pop on my lights from my old bike. I still haven't received my carbon fiber bottle cages, so I had to use some older ones as a temporary fix. Same goes for the pedals.

The bike is fast, nervous, stable. It's also very comfortable. I didn't ride it for long, only an hour or so, but I had no pains. I couldn't ride at full speed because it had been a while since I rode at night. Luckily I didn't, because there was some construction on the bike paths which I usually use.

Compact frame, sloping geometry, makes this ideal for training. Titanium is perfect for me, as I've had a few spills last year and wouldn't want to break a carbon fiber one while training.

I have a standard chainring. That's all we had at the shop, so that's what I was stuck with, but it didn't matter much since I mostly ride the flats. Front derailleur needs adjusting, but otherwise, it was a good ride.

I have the Velocite MONC50 carbon fiber wheels and they worked well. I barely felt them move when there was wind. My path isn't completely flat. There are some cobble stones and other types of pavement, but the wheels ate them up without a problem.
Asterisk*Cycles

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I LOVE Taiwanese style cakes and food. That bike you cooked up over there looks TASTY too!
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

range
Shop Owner

by range

Yes, it's the first of three Velocite bikes that I'll get this year. They are Eu tested and certified, so extremely reliable. Plus, they sponsor me, so I couldn't be happier.
Asterisk*Cycles

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Excellent introduction Range and great bike. Keep the photos and descriptions coming...
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

range
Shop Owner

by range

Thanks Nathan. I've got some new ones ready. Right now, it's started raining again in Taipei so I might have to do another "Vampire Ride". Actually, most of the time, I ride nights. During the summer, the sun gets so intense and hot that it's better to go out at sunset. Or sunrise, but I'm not up that early.
Asterisk*Cycles

range
Shop Owner

by range

All right, so here are some new photos that I took of the Velocite Millennium. Now before you comment on my riding position, I'd just like to mention that I had some back problems last month. That's why the handlebars are a bit high. They'll come down in a few weeks and I'll have it cut down further, dropping a few more grams.

Starting next month, I'll start purchasing parts to weenie my ride. I'd be pretty happy with a weight of about 6kg. This would just be a sort of practice run for my real ww build, which will start in April.

I think a lot of people are curious about the Velocite MONC50 clinchers. I have only used them on a single ride, so I don't have a full report. But they perform well. At $900, they are certainly cheaper than other deep dish wheels and they do have a look that grows on you. They don't have decals, the logos are painted on.

Since I haven't owned a carbon fiber bike with a titanium bike at the same time, I'll also defer my judgment until next month when I will get a Velocite Magnus frame to fully test out.

I forgot to mention that the MSRP of this frame is $1,900.

As for the TRPs, they do work well. However, the pads are fresh, so that too will have to wait until I've got about 1000 km under my belt. Hopefully, this will be in two or three weeks.

Asterisk*Cycles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com